Greatest Hits

The studio albums, live releases, compilations and box sets
Sir Didymus

Re: Greatest Hits

Post by Sir Didymus »

I had hoped that the move to Universal in 2011 would have resulted in two things that never happened.

1. A complete music video collection on DVD and Blu-Ray, where possible using re-scanned, HD film elements, and professionally upscaled SD video where not. I still think this could happen, but also it'd be worth the band continuing to fill in the occasional gaps and make sure every official single has some kind of visual representation.

2. A corrected tracklisting for Greatest Hits III which actually featured the 17 UK Top 40 hits the band had up to that point which hadn't been on Hits/Hits II. That would then make The Platinum Collection a more worthy collection, too.
  1. Under Pressure [Rah Mix] - Queen + David Bowie
  2. Another One Bites the Dust [New LP Version] - Queen/Wyclef Jean feat. Pras & Free
  3. Let Me Live
  4. Spread Your Wings
  5. Body Language
  6. Heaven for Everyone [Single Version]
  7. Somebody to Love [Live at Wembley Stadium 20th April 1992] - George Michael and Queen
  8. Back Chat [Single Remix]
  9. Scandal
  10. Too Much Love Will Kill You
  11. Las Palabras de Amor (The Words of Love)
  12. Flick of the Wrist [Single Version]
  13. Tie Your Mother Down [Single Version]
  14. You Don't Fool Me
  15. These Are the Days of Our Lives
  16. No-One But You (Only the Good Die Young)
  17. A Winter's Tale
  18. Thank God It's Christmas
Hell, they could've even included a bonus disc on initial pressings ala the 2011 remasters, and wrapped up the Non-UK singles and the one that missed the Top 40...
  1. Princes of the Universe
  2. Teo Toriatte (Let Us Cling Together) [Single Mix]
  3. It's Late [USA Radio Edit]
  4. Need Your Loving Tonight
  5. Staying Power
  6. Pain is So Close to Pleasure [Single Remix]
  7. I Was Born to Love You
  8. Calling All Girls
  9. Love of My Life [Live at Festhalle, Frankfurt, 2nd February 1979]

Ray

Post by Ray »

Kes wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:47 am Being fair, the quality on them is a bit crap, but they had a few advantages over VHS tapes, sound quality being one of them. I've got a player for them, but probably haven't watched one in five years.

As regards Greatest Flix on blu-ray, you are one of many to wish for this, and many complain about things like the aspect ratio on the past DVDs GVH 1 & 2. Their best solution is to put as many formats on there as possible original aspect ratio, cropped, widescreen, original stereo, 5.1 surround, remastered stereo. Etc etc.

They were looking at chucking them out in 3D, not really neccessary in my view.
For the time the DVDs were released, they were quite well done. Could have been better with the formats, but I like all the extra stuff, though there are still some later videos missing, too.

About the aspect ratio...I wish they'd just take the original ones as it's supposed to be without considering if people like the black borders on the sides. It should always be the original format without anything cut or stretched. If they offer options I don't mind, but the original versions should be the priority.

3D is nonsense, especially in retrospect for things that weren't made with 3D in mind. Who needs 3D with music videos anyways.

Just put ALL the videos on there, also the more recent ones like "All Dead, All Dead", and great bonus videos like the studio video of "One Vision" - one of my favourites, seeing the guys at work is very interesting and fun!

Make it a nice Digipack-set with 2 Blu-ray's, I'm sure it would sell very well. I'm still surprised they didn't do stuff like this after the movie was such a huge hit...

Kes

Post by Kes »

Well, the person they got in to crop/pan and scan them, was David Mallet, who directed a large chunk of them, so, if you're going to do it, I don't suppose they could have chosen someone better qualified.

It just seems to have been an unpopular choice to only include the one option.

They probably would have pleased more people using the films from the Greatest Flix DVD, mixed with the sound from the two GVH DVDs.

Sir Didymus

Post by Sir Didymus »

At the time the GVH titles were released, there was a huge push away from the 4:3 aspect ratio. Digital television was really taking off, more and more shows were switching to widescreen, and anything still in 4:3 felt 'old' and, much like when the BBC adopted colour in the 70s and looked at its black and white archive, 'no longer commercially viable'.

Flash forward almost two decades, and there's a general consensus that original aspect ratios should be respected, and cropping should only be done if it's tastefully handled and has artistic merit. There was a bit of an outcry when The X-Files remasters were all in widescreen, as while they'd mostly future-proofed the framing, some of the early episodes had definitely been framed for 4:3 and the cropping resulted in some problems around tight close-ups.

TBH, if Queen released a music video collection now, I'd expect everything to be included once, in its original ratio. No cropping. No stretching. Just as it was originally intended. If said collection was on blu-ray, that'd be a lot easier to do too, as 4:3 content on blu-ray basically *IS* a widescreen image with the side bars part of the image... whereas DVDs tend to be anamorphic and would need to change ratio manually every time to preserve resolution.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Just so you know, the first colour broadcasts in the UK, were the Wimbledon tennis championships on BBC2 in 1967. They slowly and progressively grew from then on. Didn't bother me much, as I was only seven, at the time.

Sir Didymus

Post by Sir Didymus »

Kes wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:13 pm Just so you know, the first colour broadcasts in the UK, were the Wimbledon tennis championships on BBC2 in 1967. They slowly and progressively grew from then on. Didn't bother me much, as I was only seven, at the time.
It also took an incredibly long time for colour to become the norm. Lots of early 70s shows were seen predominantly in monochrome by most audiences.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Wasn't really incredible. First one I bought with my own money, was a relatively small one, about 1977, and that cost me about £300, at a time when £300 could buy you a lot of other stuff.

First one my parents bought, was around 1971, I think.

I seem to remember a lot of people thought that their black and white sets would automatically show colour pictures if they tuned it in properly. Well, there wasn't an internet to explain why not, then. A very famous incident occured during the transition, when they screened a snooker programme, and the commentator said... "For those of you watching in black and white, the green ball is the one next to the brown one!".

Saying which, I remember my parents telling me what it was like when the first paople in their village got a radio. There'd be people congregating around the house, outside windows, etc, trying to listen to the news, King's Christmas speech, etc. A different world completely.

Sir Didymus

Post by Sir Didymus »

Back to Queen, then... and I think the recent remasters of Freddie's videos in their original aspect ratios are a good indicator of what we should get if the band follow suit.

HD film elements rescanned where they exist. Upscaled film elements where they don't. Upscaled SD video. If necessary recreated effects on HD film. All original aspect ratios.