A Kind of Magic!

The studio albums, live releases, compilations and box sets
Peace Loving Guy

Re: A Kind of Magic!

Post by Peace Loving Guy »

The guitar work on Friends Will Be Friends is very nice. Instrumentally, it’s a good song.

Sir Didymus

Post by Sir Didymus »

It's not as if A Kind of Magic is overflowing with single choices, but Princes of the Universe, if coupled with the movie release, might have done both sides of the bargain a better deal, driving one another to greater success. While the poster above who said 1986 wasn't really a "rock year" is correct, there were still some rock hits, and if anything, the lack of a huge number of them would've meant Queen would've stood out a lot more.

Young Music Fan

Post by Young Music Fan »

Jake wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:33 am
I’d toss out the whole A Night At The Opera album before I’d toss that track [Friends Will Be Friends] out.
A Night At The Opera is the most important Queen album, the make or break one for the group. Even if it isn't your favourite, it is the album they should be best remembered for. Even though ANATO isn't my favourite album it's the last one I'd get rid off.

As pointed out by someone else on here Friends Will Be Friends is a failed attempt at making another song deliberately for audience participation so it lacks originality and wasn't the number one hit the group were expecting. It's in my words the 80s version of We Are The Champions. I like FWBF no more than WATC.

I know Queen had already delved into styles they did on ANATO, I'd still call it the most original Queen album or at least one of the most original ones.

Jake

Post by Jake »

Young Music Fan wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:50 pm
Jake wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:33 am
I’d toss out the whole A Night At The Opera album before I’d toss that track [Friends Will Be Friends] out.
A Night At The Opera is the most important Queen album, the make or break one for the group. Even if it isn't your favourite, it is the album they should be best remembered for. Even though ANATO isn't my favourite album it's the last one I'd get rid off.

As pointed out by someone else on here Friends Will Be Friends is a failed attempt at making another song deliberately for audience participation so it lacks originality and wasn't the number one hit the group were expecting. It's in my words the 80s version of We Are The Champions. I like FWBF no more than WATC.

I know Queen had already delved into styles they did on ANATO, I'd still call it the most original Queen album or at least one of the most original ones.
I didn't say write-off... I said wouldn't I listen to again. I won't listen to something over something else just because others classify it as something imporant. The whole "this early album is the best" mentality is disturbing (Beach Boys; Pet Sounds... another example). For all we know, maybe Freddie wanted Innuendo to be the album he'd be remembered for (but even then, it's not my fav). I don't even think I have a favorite.

As for Friends Will Be Friends, I have no quotes of Freddie saying it's supposed to be a big hit or this or that compared to We Are The Champions. I do know Brian cherishes the record, though. He thought the lyrics were something personal to Freddie... and if they are, it makes it all the more realistic.

Jake

Post by Jake »

Sir Didymus wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:41 pm
It's not as if A Kind of Magic is overflowing with single choices, but Princes of the Universe, if coupled with the movie release, might have done both sides of the bargain a better deal, driving one another to greater success. While the poster above who said 1986 wasn't really a "rock year" is correct, there were still some rock hits, and if anything, the lack of a huge number of them would've meant Queen would've stood out a lot more.
The title and lyrics of Princes Of The Universe would have most likely put people off in the UK, but I'm glad it got regular rotation in the USA (Billboard mag listed it in active rotation on MTV during that time period, but active rotation didn't help with sales any). Certainly it would have sold better in the UK, though, but big hit? Never. Great track, but it wasn't something that screams hit single. The title is so filmic... the title/lyric almost sounds as if it's a song from a children's film aimed at little boys. "Princes?"

Example... Princes Of The Universe had more press in the USA than the A Kind Of Magic single. Princes was also the first single released in the USA from the album (and first singles from an album tend to sell the best, especially with Queen), yet it didn't chart at all... A Kind Of Magic, which was released later on, with less press, did. Lyrically, Princes wasn't something that would garner much public interest.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Arguably, the best single they EVER released, was The Show Must Go On. Universally regarded now amongst Queen fans, as one of the best songs ever recorded. Chart positions? Nah, didn't do much.

Teletubbies say Eh-Oh. Universally regarded as one of the worst things ever to waste a piece of vinyl on. A resolute Number One.

Sometimes chart positions mean nothing more than just a statement of how fucking stupid and gullible the record buying public can be.

And so in Queen's repertoire, there's stuff they can be really proud of, that will be revered for decades to come, and other stuff that was obviously just another day at the office.

Sir Didymus

Post by Sir Didymus »

Kes wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:17 am
Arguably, the best single they EVER released, was The Show Must Go On. Universally regarded now amongst Queen fans, as one of the best songs ever recorded. Chart positions? Nah, didn't do much.

Teletubbies say Eh-Oh. Universally regarded as one of the worst things ever to waste a piece of vinyl on. A resolute Number One.

Sometimes chart positions mean nothing more than just a statement of how fucking stupid and gullible the record buying public can be.
Can't argue with a word of that one.

Stonecoldcrazy71

Post by Stonecoldcrazy71 »

Those are true words....Body Language charted higher than So many of their best songs..It means nothing.

WeeMann

Post by WeeMann »

Kes wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:17 am

And so in Queen's repertoire, there's stuff they can be really proud of, that will be revered for decades to come, and other stuff that was obviously just another day at the office.
I don't disagree with a word you say, but there was a very good reason why it didn't work its way up the charts.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Oh, if EMI hadn't stopped pressing it, it would have no doubt gone right back up the charts to #1 after Freddie died. Somehow, I think that this wouldn't have neccessarily been reflective of natural chart forces, but more a fact of the publicity following Freddie's passing.

The single had enough time between release, and Freddie's death to show it's true chart potential, and whether that's down to radio stations not getting behind it, or TOTP airplay, it didn't really set the charts alight, when it had the chance.

Still my favourite song by anybody, EVER. And, no, I don't think EMI (or the band) should have pulled it, in favour of the imminent issue of Bo Rhap/TATDOOL, they should have let The Show Must Go On run, and released the follow up on top of it, like Geffen did with Lennon's Starting Over and Woman. That one also had EMI jumping on the bandwagon with Imagine, so Lennon had three #1's, and then Roxy Music hitting #1 with a Lennon cover.