A Kind of Magic!

The studio albums, live releases, compilations and box sets
Young Music Fan

Re: A Kind of Magic!

Post by Young Music Fan »

Kes wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:17 am
Arguably, the best single they EVER released, was The Show Must Go On. Universally regarded now amongst Queen fans, as one of the best songs ever recorded. Chart positions? Nah, didn't do much.

Teletubbies say Eh-Oh. Universally regarded as one of the worst things ever to waste a piece of vinyl on. A resolute Number One.

Sometimes chart positions mean nothing more than just a statement of how fucking stupid and gullible the record buying public can be.

And so in Queen's repertoire, there's stuff they can be really proud of, that will be revered for decades to come, and other stuff that was obviously just another day at the office.
I grew up watching Tellytubbies so I won't take a bad word against it!

Bob The Builder is even better!

Kes

Post by Kes »

Explains a lot. 😊

action

Post by action »

of all the Queen albums, AKOM is always my go-to album. it is incredibly accessible, and doesn't contain a bad song on it.

It's such a perfect pop / rock album, full of innocent fun. Pain is so close to pleasure, must be the most underrated Queen track ever.

Avux99

Post by Avux99 »

One Vision - spoilt by the extended intro imho, though that intro worked well enough live

A Kind of Magic - Used to love it back in the day, now it’s a case of ‘meh’

One Year of Love - mid 80s smush by numbers

Pain is so close to pleasure - nice idea for a song title but poorly executed, Freddie vocally sounds like he’s still hoping the masses will come round to liking Hot Space 4 years later.

Friends Will Be Friends - a poor mans ‘Champions’

Who Wants to Live Forever - Superb, like it even more now than I did then

Gimme The Prize - I like this one, a nod to modernity with the dialogue over the intro, plus its heavy, and I like heavy.

Don’t Lose Your Head - a lame filler.

Princes of the Universe - another cracker imo & should definitely have been a UK single.

Kes

Post by Kes »

In the case of Don't Lose Your Head, It was preceded by ADRRFMYD, which I think is actually the better track.

Avux99

Post by Avux99 »

Yes indeed, had the extended version of that on the back of the Kind of Magic 12”, as you say probably worked a little better as a B-side instrumental.

...& as far as that kind of thing goes, personally I preferred ‘Blurred Vision’, the flip to One Vision.