A Kind of Magic!

The studio albums, live releases, compilations and box sets
Old Man

Re: A Kind of Magic!

Post by Old Man »

Black Wings wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:45 am

Says how you really feel, just joking ;) . I disagree, with your views, but that's ok.
I have to say I love the "pop" sound Queen did in the 80's. Well, most of it. Who Wants To Live Forever for me is one of the best songs they did in the 80s.
When you started getting into "Queen" because of songs like "Now I'm here", "Flick of the Wrist" and "Stone cold crazy now", then "One year of Love" is pretty tough stuff..... ;)

Kes

Post by Kes »

There was a lot of people gave up and moved on when they released Hot Space. A lot more did that when A Kind Of Magic came out.

Frank

Post by Frank »

Kes wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:12 pm
There was a lot of people gave up and moved on when they released Hot Space. A lot more did that when A Kind Of Magic came out.
Again, I was never around to live in that time period, but this makes so much sense. When I think about it now, A Kind of Magic could be thought of as a step backwards, or a new direction entirely, to what The Works had established. With The Works the band was 'coming home' in a sense, revisiting the old magic that made Queen great. And then with A Kind of Magic, like it or not, the band definitely went more pop oriented with tracks like A Kind of Magic, Pain Is So Close To Pleasure, and One Year of Love. There was still some classic Queen moments though, like Princes of the Universe, and I would even argue Who Wants To Live Forever, but perhaps the album was too lopsided in favor of pop for those fans.

Kes

Post by Kes »

A lot of people I know, never even got to the end of Side One.

They could hangle One Vision and A Kind Of Magic, but beyond that....

Sir Didymus

Post by Sir Didymus »

I do think it was a huge mistake to churn out a 'pop album' instead of a bonafide Highlander soundtrack album.

The film was released in March 1986, and A Kind of Magic followed in June. I don't know how close to the wire it was before the album was 'locked down', but one has to presume the OST was kiboshed sometime in April-ish when the film didn't perform as well as hoped, with Queen deliberately reframing the album as a standalone piece. The sleeve for both the A Kind of Magic and Princes of the Universe singles make no reference to the forthcoming album of the same name - instead making a big deal of the Highlander connection. It's only with the two singles released in June that the album starts getting a plug.

But the big question I have is why the soundtrack wasn't ready for the release date? Does anyone have any insight from the fanclub or anything at the time? When was the album announced?

Kes

Post by Kes »

This article by Patrick Lemieux might just tell you what you already know, but it's worth a read, anyway.

http://queenonline.com/features/chronic ... ck-lemieux

Kes

Post by Kes »

I seem to remember the inside of The Magic Tour programme had a full page advert for the film. Saying that, the movie was released in the UK around the same time as the Knebworth gig.

Sir Didymus

Post by Sir Didymus »

Kes wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:15 pm
This article by Patrick Lemieux might just tell you what you already know, but it's worth a read, anyway.

http://queenonline.com/features/chronic ... ck-lemieux
It's a good read, indeed... though it does highlight the madness and general vagueness of everything all the more.

March '86
[*]Highlander released in USA, France. It bombs.
[*]A Kind of Magic single released in most territories
[*]Princes of the Universe released in North America (and allegedly, Australia)

June '86
[*] - Highlander released in Netherlands
[*] - A Kind of Magic[/b] ALBUM released worldwide
[*] - A Kind of Magic single released in North America
[*] - Friends Will Be Friends released in most territories

July '86
[*] - Highlander released in Australia, Brazil
(Was Princes of the Universe actually released in Australia here? The Australian sleeve indicates it's from the album "A Kind of Magic", which is unlike the other single releases in March.)

August '86
[*] - Pain is So Close to Pleasure released in North America, Germany, Netherlands, Australia
[*] - Highlander released in West Germany, UK

September '86
[*] - Highlander released in Spain, Sweden, Ireland
[*] - Who Wants to Live Forever released in Europe & New Zealand
[*] - One Year of Love released in France (Some sources claim this was released in June, others October)

October '86
[*] - Highlander released in Italy
[*] - Princes of the Universe released in Japan

November '86
[*] - Highlander released in Japan, Portugal, Finland, Greece

Interestingly, the film didn't come out in Poland, Taiwan, Denmark, Mexico & Argentina until 1987, Honduras, Hungary & Turkey until 1989, and Peru & South Korea until 1990!

So, I guess the staggered release put paid to the idea of a soundtrack album, but also the film tanking at the box office in the USA (and then around the world) probably played a part, too. Just wish some of these dates were firmer cos outside of the UK/US releases there's a lot of vagueness out there!

Kes

Post by Kes »

The key with the Ossie release of Princes, is what's on the B side.

The first releases, globally, had ADRRFMD on the B side. By that token, i think AKOM "should" have been their first release, and Princes followed it.

I went to an HMV twice weekly around the time, and we were slated to get POTU as the follow up to AKOM, but it got removed from the release sheets, and was replaced about 2-3 weeks later on the schedules by FWBF.

So, I think Australia got them the way they were originally intending the UK to get them.

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

Sir Didymus wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:09 pm
So, I guess the staggered release put paid to the idea of a soundtrack album...
Wasn't that standard back in the day though? Before the internet and spoilers, films didn't necessarily release simultaneously around the world.