A Kind of Magic!

The studio albums, live releases, compilations and box sets
Kes

Re: A Kind of Magic!

Post by Kes »

Generally, I think America usually got films a month or two before we did.

Sir Didymus

Post by Sir Didymus »

Kes wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:28 pm
The key with the Ossie release of Princes, is what's on the B side.

The first releases, globally, had ADRRFMD on the B side. By that token, i think AKOM "should" have been their first release, and Princes followed it.

I went to an HMV twice weekly around the time, and we were slated to get POTU as the follow up to AKOM, but it got removed from the release sheets, and was replaced about 2-3 weeks later on the schedules by FWBF.

So, I think Australia got them the way they were originally intending the UK to get them.
Well, quite... but every record I can find out there suggests Australia got it in March... which doesn't make sense, given the catalogue numbers and B-sides, as you suggest. Evidence seems to point to POTU being the third single in Australia.

EMI-1721 - 7" of AKOM
EMI-1786 - 7" of FWBF
EMI-1801 - 7" of POTU
EMI-1896 - 7" of PISCTP

EMI-1801 appears to have been a promo 7" of The Undertones "Save Me", which was released, in the UK at least, in June 1986. These Aussie catalogue numbers are quite few and far between on Discogs, but EMI-1894 was a Talking Heads single (their fourth that year), and EMI-1881 is Duran Duran's Notorious, which is claimed to have been released "internationally" on 20th October 1986, putting the Australian release of PISCTP at LEAST the same week.

So, it looks like somewhere between June and October, probably late August, is when POTU was released in Australia. Which, yer know, ties into the Australian release date... so we can probably update all the wiki's and Queen fansites out there now...
Leigh Burne wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:36 am
Sir Didymus wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:09 pm
So, I guess the staggered release put paid to the idea of a soundtrack album...
Wasn't that standard back in the day though? Before the internet and spoilers, films didn't necessarily release simultaneously around the world.
It was, which begs the question - why did this thought process lead to a change of heart around making a soundtrack album, and leading with Princes of the Universe worldwide?

Kes

Post by Kes »

Although the catalog numbers seem to go out of sync, this list puts POTU as an August release, and FWBF as a November issue.

http://www.45cat.com/artist/queen/au/2

I wouldn't say that list is 100% kosher, because I was sure Don't Lose Your Head was on the B side of one of them, either FWBF or POTU.

I also doubt The Hitman was a B side twice, for two of the Innuendo singles.

Stonecoldcrazy71

Post by Stonecoldcrazy71 »

Old Man wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:49 pm
Black Wings wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:45 am

Says how you really feel, just joking ;) . I disagree, with your views, but that's ok.
I have to say I love the "pop" sound Queen did in the 80's. Well, most of it. Who Wants To Live Forever for me is one of the best songs they did in the 80s.
When you started getting into "Queen" because of songs like "Now I'm here", "Flick of the Wrist" and "Stone cold crazy now", then "One year of Love" is pretty tough stuff..... ;)
That's true for a young rock fan, but you appreciate those type of changes as you get older..I think It's a pretty nice John song.

Old Man

Post by Old Man »

Stonecoldcrazy71 wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:59 pm

That's true for a young rock fan, but you appreciate those type of changes as you get older..I think It's a pretty nice John song.
Strangely it's the other way around, I was more open to that song then and can't stand it no longer nowadays.... ;)
But having said that, I'm not saying that it's a bad song just because it does nothing for me. Most bands and musicians I love were always looking for "changes" like Bowie. I absolutely miss him, but I do not necessarily have to love every phase of his long career. Interestingly that goes for the man himself, when he looked back in some interviews...
Where is light, there is also shadow. And the shadow makes the light even shine brighter....

Peace Loving Guy

Post by Peace Loving Guy »

There’s only one thing Queen did that really lost me, total zone out, and that is: Giving me the horn. By which I mean the sax on One Year Of Love and the horn sections on Hot Space.

It is just not Queen.

When they were faking this sound for kicks on A Night at the Opera it was wanton genius.

The point of Queen was to be a basic beat combo with a very percussive pianist and fake the shit out of everything else.

Fake bagpipes also rock.

Frank

Post by Frank »

Peace Loving Guy wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:30 am
There’s only one thing Queen did that really lost me, total zone out, and that is: Giving me the horn. By which I mean the sax on One Year Of Love and the horn sections on Hot Space.

It is just not Queen.

When they were faking this sound for kicks on A Night at the Opera it was wanton genius.

The point of Queen was to be a basic beat combo with a very percussive pianist and fake the shit out of everything else.

Fake bagpipes also rock.
I hear what you're saying. But the exception for me is the orchestra on Who Wants To Live Forever. It was brilliantly arranged and executed.

Jake

Post by Jake »

Does anyone else prefer the single edit of Who Wants To Live Forever over the album version? I like the loud chorus ending over the soft ending.... the heavy chorus ending is more typical of a power ballad.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Nope, much prefer the album cut.

Frank

Post by Frank »

The album cut is so much better. All of that orchestral work at the end is simply gorgeous.