NOTW improved

The studio albums, live releases, compilations and box sets
action

NOTW improved

Post by action »

this is the tracklist to make NOTW even better:

1. WWRY fast (BBC)
2. we are the champions (album version)
3. sheer heart attack (live from montreal - it has no annoying high pitched guitar sounds at the end, like the studio version)
4. all dead (freddie vocal)
5. fight from the inside (album version)
6. feelings feelings (in stead of the awful get down make love)
7. spread your wings (album version)
8. sleeping on the sidewalk (live version)
9. who needs you (album version)
10. its late (album version)
11. my melancholy blues (album version)

removing the grating brian vocals (he had a staggering 2 songs on this album which was redundant) and replacing with them with the freddie versions, and adding feelings feelings, we have 3 extra freddie vocals. it is a rocking album throughout, and I think their absolute peak of the 70s as a rock band. This is easily my go to Queen album (as reworked), and freddies vocals are sublime, as is the guitar, drums and bass. every member is on fire

Frank

Re: NOTW improved

Post by Frank »

I dig it.

Would you have We Will Rock You (stomp and clap version) as a single, at least? Or completely eliminate it from history? I think it's too crucial to get rid of completely.

Young Music Fan

Post by Young Music Fan »

I have thought in the past of tweaking the album. I'd keep it mostly the same but move My Melancholy Blues to the end of side one and have It's Late supposedly close the album but have a fast version of We Will Rock You as a hidden track! Obviously songs are going to have to be moved about for time differences on the sides.

Frank

Post by Frank »

Young Music Fan wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 10:41 pm
I have thought in the past of tweaking the album. I'd keep it mostly the same but move My Melancholy Blues to the end of side one and have It's Late supposedly close the album but have a fast version of We Will Rock You as a hidden track! Obviously songs are going to have to be moved about for time differences on the sides.
I like your idea of putting WWRY (fast) as a hidden track. That way we could keep the slow version at the start of the album, which is pretty iconic. I actually think Queen were smart to kick the album off with two huge hits.

Young Music Fan

Post by Young Music Fan »

action wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 7:45 pm
removing the grating brian vocals (he had a staggering 2 songs on this album which was redundant) and replacing with them with the freddie versions
He may not be the strongest vocalist ever (hence why Freddie was Queen's lead vocalist) but Brian's songs particularly All Dead, All Dead on this album, Long Away, '39 and Sail Away Sweet Sister on others have a personal meaning for Brian. I think they lack as much emotion if Freddie was to sing them as they're not his lyrics. Freddie would do a fine job ability wise but sentimental value? That's what he would lack on especially on All Dead which is about Brian's childhood and his cat - it doesn't sound as write if Freddie was singing about Brian's cat.

Sleeping on the Sidewalk is a simple song, it comes across as that way. I'm in no way saying Brian's voice is simple but Freddie singing on the record version could overdo or overpower the backing track. This could be part of the reason why they dropped the live version pretty early on

Black Wings

Post by Black Wings »

Young Music Fan wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 10:54 pm
action wrote:
removing the grating brian vocals (he had a staggering 2 songs on this album which was redundant) and replacing with them with the freddie versions
He may not be the strongest vocalist ever (hence why Freddie was Queen's lead vocalist) but Brian's songs particularly All Dead, All Dead on this album, Long Away, '39 and Sail Away Sweet Sister on others have a personal meaning for Brian. I think they lack as much emotion if Freddie was to sing them as they're not his lyrics. Freddie would do a fine job ability wise but sentimental value? That's what he would lack on especially on All Dead which is about Brian's childhood and his cat - it doesn't sound as write if Freddie was singing about Brian's cat.

Sleeping on the Sidewalk is a simple song, it comes across as that way. I'm in no way saying Brian's voice is simple but Freddie singing on the record version could overdo or overpower the backing track. This could be part of the reason why they dropped the live version pretty early on
Freddie has portrayed emotion in lyrics he didn't write. Examples, Save Me, Who Wants To Live Forever, In My Defense are some that come to mind easily. People can protray emotion in lyrics they didn't write, I think that's what Freddie did extremely well.

Frank

Post by Frank »

Black Wings wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 11:14 pm
Young Music Fan wrote:
action wrote:

Freddie has portrayed emotion in lyrics he didn't write. Examples, Save Me, Who Wants To Live Forever, In My Defense are some that come to mind easily. People can protray emotion in lyrics they didn't write, I think that's what Freddie did extremely well.
I certainly agree that Freddie could sing literally anything, but there's something to be said about some of Brian's songs. He may not be the strongest vocalist, but his performances on tracks like All Dead and Sail Away Sweet Sister are so raw emotionally it becomes essential to its very essence. But on a song like Sleeping On The Sidewalk I think Freddie sounds much better. He just projects better on a song like that, in my opinion.

Black Wings

Post by Black Wings »

Frank wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 11:57 pm
Black Wings wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 11:14 pm
Young Music Fan wrote:

I certainly agree that Freddie could sing literally anything, but there's something to be said about some of Brian's songs. He may not be the strongest vocalist, but his performances on tracks like All Dead and Sail Away Sweet Sister are so raw emotionally it becomes essential to its very essence. But on a song like Sleeping On The Sidewalk I think Freddie sounds much better. He just projects better on a song like that, in my opinion.
I'm not disagreeing with you. TMLWKY is where Brian rips my heart out out every time I listen to him sing it.

action

Post by action »

Frank wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 10:23 pm
I dig it.

Would you have We Will Rock You (stomp and clap version) as a single, at least? Or completely eliminate it from history? I think it's too crucial to get rid of completely.
definately as a single, but as an album track I prefer the fast version, leaving the single out.

action

Post by action »

Young Music Fan wrote:
action wrote:

freddie was the biggest cat lover in the world!