The Game.

The studio albums, live releases, compilations and box sets
Kes

The Game.

Post by Kes »

June 30th sees the 40th anniversary of the release of this landmark album by the band.

Two US #1s, and for a short period in time, Queen were the most successful band on the planet.

The album contains one of my favourite instances of Brian showing what effect half a bottle of bourbon can have on what you put on tape. The solos on the back half of Dragon Attack. The other high parts for me, were the singles PTG, AOBTD, CLTCL and arguably their best single in a while, Save Me.

I think apart from Flash Gordon (is that REALLY classed as a "Queen album"?), it clocks in at just over 35 minutes, making it, by their standards, a very short album.

What are your highs and lows with this album?

action

Re: The Game.

Post by action »

"need your loving " is a very underrated song, could easily have been a single.

I dislike the usual drivel, such as the start of PTG. I think PTG is actually overrated. I think it's not a great song, there is something off with the tempo changes. I usually go straight into the second song.

I don't like the album very much. It's not rocking enough, nor is it poppy enough. It's something of both, but in both cases not good enough.

I prefer AKOM over this, if I'm honest

Kes

Post by Kes »

They did release Need Your Loving Tonight as a single A side in the US, the B side was Rock It (Prime Jive). I don't think it did particulary well.

As a piece of incidental trivia, although Play The Game was the first Queen single to claim it featured the use of a proper polyphonic synthesiser, it's only on the track for about 12 seconds. The later part of the intro, after the reversed crash cymbals, and the little crescendos, just prior to the guitar solo.

Young Music Fan

Post by Young Music Fan »

The album contains some absolute classics - my favourite three are the ones they recorded early! Save Me, Crazy Little Thing Called Love and Sail Away Sweet Sister. They always say Play The Game is the first Queen single with synths but Save Me featured one during the solo, it's very prominent at approx 2:30.

But the album does contain several songs I don't enjoy, so again it's a mixbag. In my honest opinion, I do think it's an overrated album as they followed formulas to produce the album - there are some great songs but there are some bad songs too which is a shame.

Kes

Post by Kes »

I guess that's because the multitracks came out for Play The Game and Another One Bites The Dust, and the bits where they played with the OBX are there right in your face. On Save Me, because Brian was using harmonizers, and a fairly sizable set of pedals by that time, it's a bit harder to work out what's from his red special, and what isn't. I think if you asked most people what was going on in Get Down Make Love, the majority would never even consider that it was a guitar.

Young Music Fan

Post by Young Music Fan »

Kes wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 10:44 am
I guess that's because the multitracks came out for Play The Game and Another One Bites The Dust, and the bits where they played with the OBX are there right in your face. On Save Me, because Brian was using harmonizers, and a fairly sizable set of pedals by that time, it's a bit harder to work out what's from his red special, and what isn't. I think if you asked most people what was going on in Get Down Make Love, the majority would never even consider that it was a guitar.
Yeah that's a good point.

Jake

Post by Jake »

action wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 12:37 pm

I dislike the usual drivel, such as the start of PTG. I think PTG is actually overrated. I think it's not a great song, there is something off with the tempo changes. I usually go straight into the second song.

I don't like the album very much. It's not rocking enough, nor is it poppy enough. It's something of both, but in both cases not good enough.

Before my local rock radio station here in the US started including 90’s and 00’s songs a while back in their format, Need Your Loving Tonight was occasionally played. Now with so much other stuff being played, they keep it to big hits. A shame.

I think Play The Game is great. I love the intro. In fact, it’s one of my earliest Queen-related memories... hearing that intro and then Freddie singing the track. I heard that sound it and it was something I found fascinating, but I didn’t learn about Queen until years later. Never forgot that intro... my favorite song.

Wild Wind

Post by Wild Wind »

In late 70s there was a rock n roll revive, Elvis death along with the Grease movie have also helped this. Queen were always in rock n roll they had RnR covers on their sets since their early live years. TCLTCL was like a musical RnR athem live was heavier.
The Game was right at its time, sounded modern with old rnr feel, simple in some songs, having Queen signatures all over the place songs like Save me, Sail away sweet sister, play the game. Also had new sounds like the pionner on production Another one bites the dust.
The album had many guitar and vocal work many times overlooked due to the simplicity of its sound.
As a result it was a fresh album, really loved by audience who prefer less complex Queen sound.
In my opinion Queen did the reverse of The Beatles, I mean that they played less timing and complex songs while they were peaking in their popularity. The opposite than The Beatles did.
Great album still sound fresh and gives a happy feeling.

action

Post by action »

Jake wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 9:29 pm
action wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 12:37 pm

Before my local rock radio station here in the US started including 90’s and 00’s songs a while back in their format, Need Your Loving Tonight was occasionally played. Now with so much other stuff being played, they keep it to big hits. A shame.

I think Play The Game is great. I love the intro. In fact, it’s one of my earliest Queen-related memories... hearing that intro and then Freddie singing the track. I heard that sound it and it was something I found fascinating, but I didn’t learn about Queen until years later. Never forgot that intro... my favorite song.
I think the intro to play the game was something of a taster of the flash gordon sound.

when play the game starts when I play the greatest hits album, I always mistake it with "flash gordon"

Kes

Post by Kes »

But Queen liked to do a "build up" intro to their albums, and often individual tracks.

Procession
Ogre Battle
Brighton Rock
Death On Two Legs
Tie Your Mother Down
Play The Game
One Vision
It's A Beautiful Day

I don't know, but the intro to Play The Game might have been an accident Freddie picked up on when they were rewinding a tape. His original idea might have been the cymbals played the normal way around. Sometimes the intros are a bit strange, and attention grabbing. The neverending staircase on ADATR. The distorted "God works in mysterious ways" on One Vision.