Re: The Game.

Post by TheMiracleMan »

You know I'd like to see this album as box set

Jake

Post by Jake »

Good Apothecary Man wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 9:34 am

The singles are what they are. We have all heard them a million times. I will just say that, at the time, four singles on a 35-minute album felt a bit much, though I accept that Crazy and Save Me were released long before the album came out.
Why do people keep forgetting about Need Your Loving Tonight as a single? Here in the USA, I’ve heard that on the radio. We never had Save Me as a single, never heard it on the radio.

Frank

Post by Frank »

Jake wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:18 pm
Good Apothecary Man wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 9:34 am

The singles are what they are. We have all heard them a million times. I will just say that, at the time, four singles on a 35-minute album felt a bit much, though I accept that Crazy and Save Me were released long before the album came out.
Why do people keep forgetting about Need Your Loving Tonight as a single? Here in the USA, I’ve heard that on the radio. We never had Save Me as a single, never heard it on the radio.
I have never heard Need Your Loving Tonight on rock stations in America. Where do you live?

Kes

Post by Kes »

Some things just aren't on people's playlists.

Have you ever heard Long Away. That was a US single too.

Frank

Post by Frank »

Kes wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:42 pm
Some things just aren't on people's playlists.

Have you ever heard Long Away. That was a US single too.
Never. But then again, we never hear Body Language ↑⬱ either. And that even reached 11 in the charts. :lol:

BitterTears

Post by BitterTears »

They've just put some new The Game merch on the QOL store, including a limited edition picture disc vinyl, limited to 1980 copies. Probably need to get in quick for that.

Kes

Post by Kes »

I would.

The NOTW and Jazz ones, lasted for about 2 and a half days.

The T-shirts and sweatshirts look nice.

Old Man

Post by Old Man »

When the album was new, I quite liked it. Today to me it sounds more like a collection of songs put together for monetary reasons. Three songs each from Freddie and Brian, two songs for John and Roger. No matter how good they were or how they fitted together. That's a general problem I have with many Queen-albums from the "midperiod". They do not have the flow of the first four or the last three...

Does anyone know what has happened to the surround mix of "The Game", that was released on DVD-A (?) many years ago? Unlike the surround version of "Opera" it was never re-released.

TheMiracleMan

Post by TheMiracleMan »

Old Man wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:20 am
When the album was new, I quite liked it. Today to me it sounds more like a collection of songs put together for monetary reasons. Three songs each from Freddie and Brian, two songs for John and Roger. No matter how good they were or how they fitted together. That's a general problem I have with many Queen-albums from the "midperiod". They do not have the flow of the first four or the last three...

Does anyone know what has happened to the surround mix of "The Game", that was released on DVD-A (?) many years ago? Unlike the surround version of "Opera" it was never re-released.

What happened ? Brian Lambert May lost interest to DVD-A

Sir Didymus

Post by Sir Didymus »

It's always been a bit of a shame that surround sound never took off for music. Some artists managed to plough on and release their whole back catalogues in 5.1 - Genesis, Bjork, Nick Cave to name but three.

Others, like Queen, teased us with the possibility, but never followed it through to a logical conclusion. I suspect part of the issue was that most people were playing them on a DVD player, and the number of people who had a surround system in the first place was a lot smaller. I still have a surround set up, and I'm often surprised how many people I know are amazed I have one because they've never seen one outside of a cinema. :shock:

Perhaps there's an alternate dimension where the MP3/download/streaming market took another 5 years or so to take off, allowing for CD to be replaced by DVD-Audio that could be played like a standard CD but automatically play in surround. I bet things are very interesting there...