The Game.

The studio albums, live releases, compilations and box sets
Kes

Re: The Game.

Post by Kes »

As you say, a limited market.

I know about half a dozen people who are DVD-Audio nutcases, but there aren't many.

I think getting someone to sit down and make proper 5.1 mixes can be a costly exercise, and that's assuming you have all the multitracks to hand.

Before you go through that process, they you've really got to have a goid idea that it's going to generate your cost.

The best opportunity Queen have had, was when they got the UMG contract. The advance they got on that would have paid for getting the mixes done. And then the second discs could have been a bit more exciting.

As an aside, those Genesis sets are VERY expensive these days, if you can find them.

ogre t raylot

Post by ogre t raylot »

It can't be too fiscally prohibitive - Take Andy Partridge of XTC, he has a fraction of the finances that are available to Brian/Roger and he has to lease his own recordings from Virgin, yet he has managed to release several XTC albums in Blu-Ray/CD form.

Drums and Wires [for instance] contains:
CD:

1) Making Plans For Nigel
2) Helicopter
3) Day In Day Out
4) When You're Near Me I Have Difficulty
5) Ten Feet Tall
6) Roads Girdle the Globe
7) Real By Reel
8) Millions
9) That Is The Way
10) Outside World
11) Scissor Man
12) Complicated Game

Bonus tracks:

13) Chain Of Command
14) Limelight
15) Life Begins At The Hop
16) Homo Safari
17) Ten Feet Tall (electric version)
18) Wait ‘Til Your Boat Goes Down

Blu-Ray (Region 0, NTSC):

Presented in 24bit/96khz LPCM Audio

Album mixed in 5.1 Surround
- Steven Wilson stereo mix and original album mix in High Resolution stereo.

Blu-Ray exclusive material includes:

Numerous additional stereo and 5.1 tracks, new stereo album instrumental mixes, 5 demo sessions and promo films for the singles Making Plans for Nigel and Life Begins At The Hop.

Bonus tracks remixed into stereo and 5.1:

1) Life Begins at the Hop*
2) Homo Safari
(A+B side to Life Begins at the Hop single, UK release April 1979)

3) Chain of Command
4) Limelight
(A+B side to free single included with initial pressing of Drums and Wires, UK release August 1979)

5) Bushman President
6) Pulsing Pulsing
(B-sides to Making Plans for Nigel single, UK release Sep 1979)

7) Wait 'Til Your Boat Goes Down
8) Ten Feet Tall – electric version
(A+B side to Wait Til Your Boat Goes Down single, UK release March 1980)

9) Officer Blue
(Drums and Wires out-take – B-side to Respectable Street single, UK release March 1981)

10) Over Rusty Water
(Drums and Wires out-take – B-side to No Thugs in Our House single, UK release May 1982)

11) Sleepyheads
(Drums and Wires out-take, first released on Coat of Many Cupboards box set, UK release 2002)

* (Life Begins at the Hop is the original stereo master due to multitrack tapes being unavailable, the 5.1 version is a Penteo upmix)

New stereo mix = 12 tracks
Original stereo mix = 12 tracks
Instrumental mixes = 12 tracks
5.1 mix = 12 tracks
Bonus tracks new stereo mixes = 11 tracks
Bonus tracks 5.1 = 11 tracks
Demo session 1 = 6 tracks
Demo session 2 = 4 tracks
Demo session 3 = 4 tracks
Demo session 4 = 4 tracks
Rehearsal tape = 20 tracks
DJM re-recordings = 3 tracks
Various original alternate mixes = 4 tracks
Promo videos = 2 track

CD features a completely new stereo album mix by Steven Wilson
CD also features 6 additional singles & non-album tracks, 5 mixed by Steven Wilson
Blu-Ray features a 5.1 Surround mix in 24bit/96khz mixed from the original multi-track tapes available in LPCM and DTS HD MA.
Blu-Ray features the new stereo album mix in 24bit/96khz LPCM audio.
Blu-Ray features the original stereo album mix in 24bit/96khz LPCM audio.
Blu-Ray also features 3 tracks from DJM mix sessions (for potential single mixes)
Blu-Ray exclusive: 10 additional 5.1 mixes of singles & non-album tracks + a single up-mix.
Blu-Ray exclusive: instrumental versions of all new mixes in 24bit/96khz LPCM audio.
Blu-Ray exclusive: 5 separate sessions marking the complete evolution of the album & associated recordings.
Blu-Ray Exclusive: Promo films for “Life Begins at the Hop” & “Making Plans for Nigel”.
Presented in special packaging with expanded booklet & sleeve-notes by Andy Partridge, Colin Moulding & Dave Gregory.

all for the princely sum of sixteen pounds, and XTC have a fraction of the fan base that Queen have.

go figure.
Kes wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:23 pm
As you say, a limited market.

I know about half a dozen people who are DVD-Audio nutcases, but there aren't many.

I think getting someone to sit down and make proper 5.1 mixes can be a costly exercise, and that's assuming you have all the multitracks to hand.

Before you go through that process, they you've really got to have a goid idea that it's going to generate your cost.

The best opportunity Queen have had, was when they got the UMG contract. The advance they got on that would have paid for getting the mixes done. And then the second discs could have been a bit more exciting.

As an aside, those Genesis sets are VERY expensive these days, if you can find them.

Kes

Post by Kes »

It's not.

The issue is more likely, motivation.

Was It All Worth It?

The opportunity was there in 2011, when surround mixes were popular. When the band were remastering their catalogue, anyway. When the band had just been given a massive advance for signing a new contract.

Once it's out there, it's out there. The way it sits, they still have the stuff they "could" sell to your grandchildren.

They had an issue when they made a 5.1 mix of The Game. They had to make a new mix of Coming Soon, as the mastertape the original mix was made from, had gone AWOL. They had to do the mix used on the release from an earlier mastertape, that wasn't quite the same.

ogre t raylot

Post by ogre t raylot »

They've had 15/16 years to track down the mastertape - even if they can't they could use a similar 'upmixing' technique used by other artists, but like you said, zero desire from the main protagonists.

If you rip the 5.1mix to Stereo, not only do you get 48kz/24bit sound files, you get an interesting alternate mix [not just Coming Soon] of the Album.
Kes wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:58 pm
They had an issue when they made a 5.1 mix of The Game. They had to make a new mix of Coming Soon, as the mastertape the original mix was made from, had gone AWOL. They had to do the mix used on the release from an earlier mastertape, that wasn't quite the same.

Tfunster

Post by Tfunster »

Kes wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:14 am
I would.

The NOTW and Jazz ones, lasted for about 2 and a half days.

The T-shirts and sweatshirts look nice.
This one only lasted a day..Sold Out :o

Kes

Post by Kes »

Think I said in another thread. To my knowledge, this album hasn't even been issued as a bootleg picture disc before.

Add to that, people have seen that Queen colour vinyls and picture discs are becoming a healthy short term investment. You can bet some people were phoning "friends" up when they saw this on sale.

Sir Didymus

Post by Sir Didymus »

Yes, I think the desire - or rather, lack of it - was more of an issue.

The Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds remasters are my go-to examples of how to do it right.

Each album remastered on CD, plus a bonus DVD containing the whole album and any connected B-sides in PCM Stereo, Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1, along with the relevant music videos and part of an interconnected documentary series. And the 5.1 mixes themselves are probably the best I've ever heard. There were 14 in all, released in bunches over a couple of years, and got me rebuying all their albums in a heartbeat.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Can you imagine how brilliant a 5.1 mix of Queen II could be?

Black Wings

Post by Black Wings »

Has anyone here managed to order the tee or sweatshirt?

TheMiracleMan

Post by TheMiracleMan »

Kes wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:08 am
Can you imagine how brilliant a 5.1 mix of Queen II could be?

I can't because Brian lost interest