Greatest Hits II - Blue Vinyl

The studio albums, live releases, compilations and box sets
Frank

Re: Greatest Hits II - Blue Vinyl

Post by Frank »

I must be in the minority here. It's blue, so what? It'll collect dust and will never get played. But nor will I sell it if it's of high value. It will just exist.

Now, if I found a rare "DJ" copy of the debut album, that's different. Which I actually did find in NYC a number of years ago. It was cool to read the note they left for the record stores not to sell this copy.

Kes

Post by Kes »

It's primarily for "record collectors".

People who collect books, stamps, even f*ckimg motorcycles, have a similar habit, when they issue limited editions.

It really doesn't have to mean anything, if you're not into it.

Demo and promo copies quite often are worth more, even though they were free issues, this is because there's less of them around than stock copies.

Frank

Post by Frank »

Kes wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:44 pm It's primarily for "record collectors".

People whi collecr books, stamps, even f*ckimg motorcycles, have a similar habit, when they issue limited editions.

It really doesn't have to mean anything, if you're not into it.

Demo and promo copies quite often are worth more, even though they were free issues, this is because there's less of them around than stock copies.
No, I get it. Different strokes for different folks. I just don't think I'll be bothered to purchase it simply for the blue vinyl.

I was very amazed when I came across that copy of the debut album. I mean, here it is...this rare copy that is 40 plus years old. An incredible find. I forget what I paid for it but I know it wasn't cheap.

Kes

Post by Kes »

The other thing with demonstration copies, are because of their nature, they are usually among the first copies to be pressed off their mother stamper, so "should" be a better sounding pressing. Should is in quote marks bevause it's not always the case.

Kes

Post by Kes »

As regards the official press release that it's not getting issued in the UK until mid August... take that with a pinch of salt.

I had one that I ordered off ebay, pitch up on my doorstep this morning.

Might be worth phoning up your local HMV, if you were after it.

Oh, and for info, the one I received, is a very deep blue.

BitterTears

Post by BitterTears »

I was going to say there's no one in my local hmv to phone. Although maybe non essential shops are already allowed to open in other nations within the UK?

I don't really suspect it'll be out in the UK before they said though. Wish I could just pre-order and be done with it, keep checking hmv.com every day.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Think shops in Scotland, Wales and NI, are probably more restricted than England. Mine was shipped from somewhere in the UK, so someone's got multiple copies already.

Don't know the where's and why's but as far as the UK is concerned, this was meant to be an HMV exclusive, wasn't it?

The reason why I paid a premium and got it off ebay, was that I had the thought that by the time this covid shit was out of the way, they'd have all gone out the back door, and been sold on auction sites.

If I've already bought one, then something's gone wrong somewhere, innit?

WeeMann

Post by WeeMann »

Just got back from HMV.

The manager didn't know about it (and there's nothing on their system), but he suspects it's a similar release as the last couple of years where exclusives are released in the week prior to Father's Day.

They've been told that these releases have been put back to the end of August, although they don't have a firmer date than that.

He also suggested I follow them on Twitter as he will definitely tweet when he knows.

And it's first come, first served, no pre-orders.

Kes

Post by Kes »

I just find it weird that it's apparently an HMV exclusive, that they seem to know nothing about, and I've got two of them already, and from different places. The fact that they probably cost a tenner more than the retail price, I'll live with that.

When they do these RSD releases, and you have to queue for at least four hours to stand any chance of there being any left when you get in the shop, i think when you add in the cost of the car park as well, i'd quite happily pay a tenner more than go through all that.

When GH1 was released in America, long before we knew it would ever get released here, I had one shipped over from the US, it wound up costing quite a bit, but that's the risk you take.

WeeMann

Post by WeeMann »

I know it's difficult before they're officially released, but are you happy that they appear genuine?