Future boxsets

The studio albums, live releases, compilations and box sets
Mona Lisa

Future boxsets

Post by Mona Lisa »

I'll put a link from the Greg Brooks conversation on facebook:

(I don't know if that's working or not)

In these comments, people were asking about details from the Miracle boxset and possible future releases.
Here are some answers from Greg Brooks:
->"But we mustn't be slaves to anniversaries. If we decide to do a Live box, or an Innuendo or Sheer Heart Attack box, we should not have to wait for a 40th or 35th or 50th anniversary. Just put it out when it's ready. And if happens to be on a significant anniversary, that's fine, but it shouldn't be Priority 1. In my opinion."
->"Work continues. It's coming along very nicely. Sorry I cannot give details, I know that's frustrating, but I will tell you what I can as soon as I'm permitted to. I think you will all be pleased. GB" (that was about the Miracle boxset)
->"I guess there will be rarities for all the Queen albums at some point, including The Works, but i think it's a long way off as there are so many other things on the list to develop first." (someone asked about The Works and The Game)

So, if mr Brooks himself, the official Queen archivist, is guessing, that means at least that there -are- rarities.
The 'other things on the list' to develop first are probably first the Miracle Box, the Live Killers box, and for sure other live releases.
I also have a guess. Why on earth do they choose to make a Miracle box and not a Game box, for example.... Maybe they have good reasons to think it's worth it. And I also hope that those 'other things on the list' are also worth it.
And sadly I'm thinking, if they have so many work to do, maybe they should hire several archivists before mr Brooks goes to retire :D :?

Kes

Re: Future boxsets

Post by Kes »

Greg's quite unique in QPL. I think he's the only "fan" in the set up. Most got employed specifically because they weren't fans, they were the best at what they were being asked to do.

As regards future boxsets, I guess it's all dependent on how much stuff they have for each album. There's every chance that for the early albums, there isn't a massive amount of stuff there, as at the point the money wasn't there to have an archive, and because at that point they were owned by Trident, the stuff might not have been kept quite as carefully, as the stuff when the band took over their own recordings. Time will tell.

One thing's for sure, as their careers developed, they'd be more in the market to keep stuff, for future ideas, should it not be used on the album they were working on.

Generic username

Post by Generic username »

So NOTW was coincidentally ready in 2017, TM was announced early in 2019, and now we shouldn't get all focused on anniversaries.

That's retrospective justification for missing deadlines, IMO. (Not Greg personally missing a deadline, just the organisation generally not having a product ready for when the marketing of it makes most sense)

Kes

Post by Kes »

Maybe the plan is "What f@cking plan?"

Mona Lisa

Post by Mona Lisa »

I think that's the best plan. It's better for the quality: just do it when it's good and ready.
It would be nice if they would ask the devoted fans what they wish...... do some kind of vote.
Maybe Queen Prdcts don't know well what the fans are really wishing. Do they take some advises from the fanbase?

Kes

Post by Kes »

There is occasionally fan input, two I can think of are LOLSOS and Absolute Greatest, but the ultimate say so is with the band, or whoever controls the particular catalogue

In terms of what overall projects get put in the pipeline, the people who work for QPL, ie Greg Brooks, Justin Smith, Kris Fredriksson, Richard Gray, Nick Weymouth, have product meetings/conference calls, and come up with half a dozen do-able ideas, and present them to Brian, Roger and Jim. They then discuss or champion each idea based on it's merits.

Some of these ideas, might have originated in something any of them have thought of themselves, or read on social media. So, basically, you're probably a bit lucky if something you've suggested gets done.

Mona Lisa

Post by Mona Lisa »

Thanks a lot! I guess also that nowadays things are a bit different because of instagram and twitter and so on.... All the negative feedbacks can arrive directly to them... But the overwhelming majority is positive, I think.
I mean that for example, now, I could throw in Brian's instagram: hey Brian , what about the anthologies? When's your solo box? Your project with Tony Iommi? ( :D ) (I won't do that)
Before, that was harder to reach them.
Those QPL meetings/conferences sound so exciting!
Of course there are the Fan Club conventions.... When is the one this year happening? (if it's happening...)

Some artists do a "Horse's Mouth" (Ian Hunter does that since forever)
but as he is able to answer to most people, Brian and Roger probably have 100 times more people writing to them :lol:

Kes

Post by Kes »

Brian and Roger don't directly do a lot of this stuff. That's why people like Greg look and the stuff. Nobody takes negative criticism well. They say one piece of it cancels out a hundred pieces of praise.

I'm pretty sure even Brian's mailbox has someone (a lady called Jen, I believe) looking through it, and sifting out the heavy stuff before he sees it.

TheMiracleMan

Post by TheMiracleMan »

I don't know about you, but I would like to see the box set of Innuendo album

Kes

Post by Kes »

As I mentioned in The Miracle thread, there was an Innuendo - Back To The Tapes day at Metropolis, where finer details of the album were explained. They synced up two 48 track digital recorders, for a lot of the work on the album, meaning that almost every piece of tracking (what would previously be called overdubbing) on the album, has it's own individual track