Future boxsets

The studio albums, live releases, compilations and box sets
Smiler

Re: Future boxsets

Post by Smiler »

let's be honest here, the box sets they have issued are just ways to make a lot of money on fans like us. They haven't really given us new things have they? Remixes, rough mixes, piano versions ... Maybe if you are lucky, one new song. Or they take an old solo song, let it be remixed by someone who ruines the (great) song completely like the michael Jackson duet. I have bootlegs with a better quality and mix than that stinker.
Compared to anniversary editions other bands put out, the quen ones do have little to no meat on the bone.
As far as I am concerned, the only really great box set was the Freddie Mercury one, and I certainly am not talking about the never boring stuff which is just that, boring.

Kes

Post by Kes »

I think the issue is that they still want the option of making a fairly comprehensive career retrospective anthology at some point in the future, so they are basically drip feeding as much as they can without compromising that possibility.

Maybe that could be a reason why they are picking albums where they have a larger degree of choice of things in the archive, than the more predictable "bigger selling" albums.

Just a thought....

Old Man

Post by Old Man »

Honestly, I have lost the fascination about Box sets in general. It feels like "Christmas" to unpack them. Then you may listen once or twice and after that they end up on the shelf....

In the late 80s there was moment in music history, when suddenly "bootlegs" of most every "Beatles" outtakes appeared in regular shops. Now you could hear the Beatles recording all their magic songs, it seemed highly exciting and finally led to the official "Anthology". Looking back now, for decades I haven't listened to those outtakes. When I want to hear "Beatles", I pick the regular recordings.

There are lot of Miracle outtakes already available, so what? They are far from being better than the final versions on the regular album. And even that is highly criticised on this forum.... ;)

Mona Lisa

Post by Mona Lisa »

Queen is an exception when we think of outtakes...
They are one of the most successful bands on the planet, and we have +- nothing*.

* except some small outtakes in 2011, and Let me in your heart again.

Which other band of that scale has been so protective of its archives???

TheMiracleMan

Post by TheMiracleMan »

Mona Lisa wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:00 pm
Queen is an exception when we think of outtakes...
They are one of the most successful bands on the planet, and we have +- nothing*.

* except some small outtakes in 2011, and Let me in your heart again.

Which other band of that scale has been so protective of its archives???
It's not the group that matters, but its management, which hides under the mattress not only money but also archival materials.

Old Man

Post by Old Man »

TheMiracleMan wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:22 pm

It's not the group that matters, but its management, which hides under the mattress not only money but also archival materials.
There once was an interview with one of their producers - I think it was Mack - talking about, how Freddie always worried about not leaving any recording behind in a studio. He didn't want, that outtakes might find it's way out to the bootleggers. It's not a management thing.
Also it should be considered, how expensive studio time was in those days. And as their recordings were very complex, they probably only worked on the ones, they intended to finnish. Unlike other bands, who basically played live in the studio with few overdubs, I don't believe there is a huge archive. "Queen" were not like "The Kinks" or "Prince", who recorded more songs than they could release. "Made in Heaven" was proof enough, that the Queen-archive has no lost treasures. Learn to accept, that we already got, what is worth having.

TheMiracleMan

Post by TheMiracleMan »

Old Man wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:49 pm
TheMiracleMan wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:22 pm

There once was an interview with one of their producers - I think it was Mack - talking about, how Freddie always worried about not leaving any recording behind in a studio. He didn't want, that outtakes might find it's way out to the bootleggers. It's not a management thing.
Also it should be considered, how expensive studio time was in those days. And as their recordings were very complex, they probably only worked on the ones, they intended to finnish. Unlike other bands, who basically played live in the studio with few overdubs, I don't believe there is a huge archive. "Queen" were not like "The Kinks" or "Prince", who recorded more songs than they could release. "Made in Heaven" was proof enough, that the Queen-archive has no lost treasures. Learn to accept, that we already got, what is worth having.
Unfortunately, we can not accept that fact.

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

Mona Lisa wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 2:12 pm
Why on earth do they choose to make a Miracle box and not a Game box, for example....
Because it's well-known that there are a lot of outtakes from the sessions for The Miracle. Until we hear otherwise, I'd suggest that's basically the reason they went for this album over any others. They have a larger pool of material to draw from.

Mona Lisa

Post by Mona Lisa »

Sounds promising! Personnally I'm not impatient about it, as soon as it's good!!

MusicalProstitute

Post by MusicalProstitute »

Kes wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:15 pm
I think the issue is that they still want the option of making a fairly comprehensive career retrospective anthology at some point in the future, so they are basically drip feeding as much as they can without compromising that possibility.

Maybe that could be a reason why they are picking albums where they have a larger degree of choice of things in the archive, than the more predictable "bigger selling" albums.

Just a thought....
This is how I feel too. I have believed for a long time now that they are 'drip-feeding' the fans until the moment they truly decide to call it a day. I think it will only be when Brian and Roger are no longer active Queen-wise that we will see the anthology-style stuff. And it makes sense.