Studio Collection is available again

The studio albums, live releases, compilations and box sets
BitterTears

Studio Collection is available again

Post by BitterTears »

Didymus

Re: Studio Collection is available again

Post by Didymus »

I've been debating buying this for some time - possibly even parting with my "Complete Works" box-set to justify it.

But the apparent plans to bring out the Deagnosti collection in the UK, which would include all the studio albums AND the various live albums and compilations (inc. out of print albums like Wembley '86 and GH3) is making me think twice about it... as pretty as the coloured vinyl is, provided the magazine just bundles the existing sleeves without any customisations or 'lesser quality' artefacts, this might be a more justifiable way to hoover up the 2011 masters on vinyl at last.

Nicki

Post by Nicki »

Sold out already? Or has the sale not started yet?

Edit: That’s weird. When I clicked on the link again there had been the link to preorder. That vanished 5 seconds later. Looks like the last ones are being sold now?

Kes

Post by Kes »

Some clever people are breaking them up, and selling the albums for £50+ a go, on ebay.

Out of curiosity, how much was the store selling the boxsets for?

BitterTears

Post by BitterTears »

£330.

Think they were £280 when they first went on sale years ago so taking into account inflation, its only a small markup.

Nicki

Post by Nicki »

It was 370€. Don’t know, how much it was in £.

I was just curious about the price. I have that Collection already at home. I did pay a bit less than that a couple of years ago from a retailer on EBay.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Yeah, I was pretty sure I'd paid well under £300 for mine. I remember costing it out against the single issue black vinyls in HMV, and it actually working out cheaper buying the boxset than the black vinyls.

Them issuing all the albums on colour vinyl had become a bit of a long term cause of mine, using the justification that it was this factor prompting many of the unofficial pressings you got to see on ebay.

In fact, I was chasing exactly this, before the last set of Parlophone vinyls were issued. Someone within QPL was severely anti- Colour vinyl, probably on the grounds that "audiophiles" had said they wouldn't touch colour vinyls with a barge pole.

Because of one thing and another, I get to see most of the "product team" from time to time, three of them go to Montreux every year, and everytime I met one of them, I'd have a whinge about the lack of colour vinyl. Something must have stuck with someone, somewhere, so when UMG suggested putting the albums out on vinyl, then the two avenues of black and colour vinyls were chased.

I still think they were reticent doing the colour vinyls, hence them being put in a limited "collector's edition" boxset. I knew they'd sell like hotcakes, but then I'm a buyer, not a product maker.

I should add, it's never down to fans to tell Queen what to do, but you can suggest things, and then leave it there, in the hope someone in the team likes the idea, and pushes it on to one of the frequent band meetings. Because I was so persistent, I feel a "little bit" (emphasis on LITTLE BIT) to blame for the existence of the Studio Collection.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Reference the De'Agostini releases, I really can't comment on how good they are. At this moment in time, I don't own any of them.

AFAIK, the original Italian ones were all French MPO pressings/re-cuts, not using the Miles Showell 1/2 speed Abbey Road plates. So, if and when I get one, I'll let you know if they sound any better.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Studio Collection, again.

Yes, I was a bit disappointed that even now, after the box came out, the only way you can get ADATR on coloured vinyl, is to buy a blue vinyl bootleg.

Still, the colours were decided by the primary colours on the sleeves, and ADATR has a predominently black sleeve, doesn't it?

Maybe a future Record Store Day, might create an opportunity. I bet THAT would be in demand, with everyone trying to swap out their black ADATR in the Studio box.

If they wanted a suggestion, I'd think about a split coloured vinyl of the two colours on the fan shell behind the star signs. Light brown and light blue.

Nicki

Post by Nicki »

Kes wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:42 pm Yeah, I was pretty sure I'd paid well under £300 for mine. I remember costing it out against the single issue black vinyls in HMV, and it actually working out cheaper buying the boxset than the black vinyls.
That had been my thinking as well, when I bought it 3-4 years ago. I had started and gotten my favourite album „The Game“ on vinyl for my new turn table not long before. Earlier I had to buy a turntable, because I had bought „Queen-Absolute Greatest Hits“ on white vinyls the year before and being only able to listen to it at my parents’ house was of course no option. 8-)

So, I was trying to work out, which album to get then, when my eye caught again the Studio Collection on Coloured Vinyls. The year before I found that too much money, but after doing the maths, I decided that the whole collection, including the book and download code was a better deal than buying the single vinyls.
Also, these vinyls are fun to look at with all the different colours. :D
I’m happy with them and really careful.