Studio Collection is available again

The studio albums, live releases, compilations and box sets
Kes

Re: Studio Collection is available again

Post by Kes »

There's a lot of younger fans, who take note of the praise heaped on early pressings, and try to get them.

Didymus

Post by Didymus »

Kes wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:33 pm And maybe the Rainbow and Odeon live albums.

With Another World, you've got the choice of Picture disc, or Picture disc. I don't think anywhere in the world got a black vinyl of it. Not that I know of, anyway. Another nice one to try and find, is the full Five Live vinyl, that was issued in places like Greece and the Far East.

Forever, might be worth putting on your list too.
This is partially why I'm considering that Deagnosti magazine collection if it goes ahead... I suspect Rainbow & Odeon will be part of that and be far more affordable than their previous versions. For those, I bought the CD/Blu-Ray variants, and shockingly, I only have Forever as a digital album.

And yes, Another World's picture disc issue is the only one I've ever seen out there too, which puts me off buying it! How I'd welcome a reissue for that record. Happiness? too, which has been a NIGHTMARE to get hold of in general for the last 20+ years. IIRC, the CD copy I have is one that our very own fairydandy managed to source for me many years ago. If you weren't there at the time, it's been almost unobtainable ever since without paying big bucks... think it's going for at least £150 on average these days, and there isn't a single album I love enough to spend that amount of money on. Annoyingly, I was there at the time - I was a huge Queen fan from 1989 onwards, but I was completely unaware (I was only 10 in 1994) that Roger had released a solo album that year... because unlike Back to the Light, it didn't really get any airplay or attention. I think the first I ever heard of the album was it's title when a bunch of posters for it appeared in the background of an episode of Bottom!
ogre t raylot wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:47 pm Impressive, short of a Japanese QII you have the best sounding Queen vinyl - in which case, i would hold off buying the Studio collection until you find a store/shop, like i did, that had a copy they had sat on their shelves for 18 months and bartering for a hefty discount.
That's very useful to know! I'm pretty 'appy with that, then. Would quite like an original pressing of ADATR, but no immediate rush as it's one of those albums that never quite clicks with me, however much I actually quite like every song on it in isolation.

As mentioned up thread, a big part of my problem is that I just like too much music. I had an enormous spring clean of my collection in both 2016 and 2019 before major house moves, and got rid of so much stuff I literally was never going to play again. Did I really need, for example, the terrible Bat Out Of Hell III on vinyl, all because it had Brian May & John 5 on it? Did I buggery... out it went to a happy chappy in Portugal via e-Bay for £170! :D Not even Queen stuff was safe... I sold my Freddie Mercury 18" statue - without a box or microphone - for £140 (!), and my first edition of "In His Own Words" for £90 too.

Quite happy to Marie Kondo the shit out of things that are just taking up space nowadays, and long since grew out of my need to have everything I could find that had the word 'Queen' on it. Though obviously... no slight intended on those people who STILL do that! What brings you joy, eh?

According to my Discogs profile, my current total collection stands at the following. In brackets, are the approx number I sold on over the last 3 years...

12" Vinyl Albums - 407 [approx. 150 sold]
12" Vinyl Singles/EPs - 162 [approx. 30 sold]
7" Vinyl Singles/EPs - 615 [approx. 200 sold]

CD Albums - 1054 [approx. 400 sold]
CD Singles - 515 [approx. 300 sold]

Digital Albums - 119
Digital Singles - 529

Cassettes (Albums/Singles) - 36 [approx. 50 sold]
Music DVDs - 36 [approx. 20 sold]
Music VHS - 22 [approx. 30 sold]

Box-Sets - 54 inc. CD, Vinyl, DVD, Blu-Ray etc. [approx. 5 sold]
Old Man wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:17 pm The best times for vinyl were the mid 70s until the late 80s. Vinyl never was better sounding than in those days. The experience and the people who had that, went lost in the 90s with most factories getting closed.
When I compared "new vinyl" with my german EMI originals, not only the old ones still sounded better. Also the covers had a higher quality, cause the new ones had obviously been made from scans, looking quite grainy.
Queen vinyl isn't rare, before Corona I would see lots of good copies on record fairs. And obviously there is a lot of replenishment, sad as it is, not only rock stars die, also fans and collectors follow the rules of nature.... :(
This is very true. Over the last 5 years or so I've seen a huge glut of late 50s/early 60s albums start to trickle into charity shops. Entire swathes of Elvis Presley records probably lost their value overnight when his original fans started dropping off like flies.

Personally, I've been enjoying the influx of artists who I never used to find in charity shops - Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, Eartha Kitt etc. - and grabbing some Verve pressings for peanuts! The Beatles early stuff has started appearing now, too... it's only a matter of time before all those people who want £300 for a good quality first pressing of Rubber Soul or Revolver realise they can't get it anymore because the market is full of them!

Kes

Post by Kes »

As far as I'm aware, although the D'Agostini Queen stuff is in their plans for a UK publish, they don't have a schedule for it yet. It could be in six months, it could be in a couple of years. No-one seems to know.

Another thing I don't know, is if and when they DO appear, whether you can cherry pick them, or will have to sign up for the whole lot. With the Parlophone series, I think the only people who got the last batch, were those who pre-ordered them.

Just depends whether you want the albums now, or are willing to take the risk that they might not ever get released. Your choice.

Kes

Post by Kes »

If it was me, I'd probably try to get the studio box, which I don't think is/are going to go down in value, and if you don't like them, swap them out with the D'Agostini ones, if and when they become available.

As I said earlier, if you look on ebay, people seem to be getting The Studio Collection boxes, and selling the albums individually, at, when you look at the cost of the boxset, inflated prices. You wouldn't pay fifty quid plus for any of the black vinyl ones, when they're all under £30 in HMV, would you?

Didymus

Post by Didymus »

Makes sense, but I think I can afford to take a punt and wait this one out. I'd definitely subscribe to the Deagnosti collection if it happens - and if that means I get things live an updated Wembley '86, and a spare copy of Hits III, it'll be worth it.

TBH, I try and avoid coloured vinyl where I can. It's still very hit and miss. I've recently had to buy a wodge of them from Demon Music Group, and the sound quality is still pish compared to the black stuff. Some companies seem to handle it better than others... but it still seems most transparent records are terrible.

Kes

Post by Kes »

There's a lot of people will also argue that clear vinyl is how God intended it. Myself, I'm not so sure.

I think the major factors, are the quality of the mastering, the pressing plates, and the specific materials used. In the past, some of the materials used in colour vinyl pressings HAS been inferior. Not always, but fairly often.

Kes

Post by Kes »

How Colored Vinyl Records Are Made. All vinyl records are made of PVC, which is naturally colorless. To turn this clear material into a solid color, titanium dioxide and other additives are mixed in. To make the standard black vinyl color, black carbon is often added, which strengthens the PVC mix.

Make of THAT what you will.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Reference D'agostini collection, for the UK, it's the Hachette collection.

http://www.queenonline.com/news/hachett ... ion-update

They've started a trial of the first four issues, to see if it's worth doing the whole series.

A Kind Of Magic, A Night At The Opera, Queen 1 and Innuendo.

Personally, I'd like the option of just getting the triple albums. I'm running out of space to collect all the original single and double albums again.

BitterTears

Post by BitterTears »

Generic username

Post by Generic username »

BitterTears wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:47 pm It's available again

https://www.queenonlinestore.com/Queen/ ... O1C000029Y
That explains the worldwide vinyl shortage that rules out any 7" singles being repressed due to fan demand....