The Miracle

The studio albums, live releases, compilations and box sets
Mona Lisa

The Miracle

Post by Mona Lisa »

Hi all, I thought I'd start a separate thread about the album The Miracle to ask this question.
I am very curious about the opinion of Queen fans who were already Queen fans at the time that this album came out in 1989.
Or maybe became fans with that album on its time of release.
Were you surprised with the new sounds?
One could argue that there are weaker tracks (although I love them), for example Party and Kashogghi's ship, Rain must fall, My baby does me.
But on the other hand there are huge tracks on there: I want it all, The Miracle, The invisible man, Breakthru... 4 tracks for the greatest hits album. That makes it quite a strong album, doesn't it?
At the time I bought The Miracle, I was probably 15 around 2003, and I was already ""bored"" with the well-known aforementioned single tracks. Not that they ain't good... just that I wanted new sounds for the money I spent.
And in that respect, The Miracle was one of my best discoveries when I bought a Queen album. By this, I mean: I enjoyed it really much if I ignore the well-known tracks on it. It was a really unexpected surprise.
Oh, and actually, I thought that 'I want it all' sounds much better on the album, rather than the single version. (For so little change)
Special highlights for me: the intros to Scandal and to Was it all worth it are great, you can put it really loud, I remember being impressed the first time I heard it, it's quite epic.
I think that Was it all worth it is a bit too much 'over the top', although a great track.

What were your thoughts, back in the day? Did Queen surprise you? Deceive you?
What were you first impressions on hearing the singles?

I think that it doesn't sound like anything they had done before. A very new sound, a new voice (completely different than in A Kind Of Magic).
I heard Roger say that they never used such a variety of drums in that album.... and we can hear how sophisticated it is. Without being over-produced. (Except for Was it all worth it, in my opinion).

Down points: I don't like the ending of the song The Miracle. (I like the melody they used, but the way they introduced and mixed it with the rock section is quite messy...)
And
Chinese torture is a torture to listen to. (Maybe that was the point)

Conclusion: Bring on the box set :P :P

In comparison with other albums I discovered for the first time (already knowing the greatest hits by memory): The miracle, along with Made in Heaven (strangely enough) were the albums with the biggest impact on me.

Curious about your thoughts :D

Generic username

Re: The Miracle

Post by Generic username »

This was my first "new" Queen album, and I can confidently say that how I felt about it at the time was skewed by the novelty of it.

I only like IWIA and WIAWI now, but at the time Scandal and Breakthru seemed OK and My Baby Does Me would be OK if Cool Cat didn't already exist.

Stonecoldcrazy71

Post by Stonecoldcrazy71 »

I actually like this record more now than I did back In 1989...It has the worst 2 opening tracks they ever did, but It's good after that.

Young Music Fan

Post by Young Music Fan »

A nice old interview with David Richards about the album:

http://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/david-richards/5631

Mona Lisa

Post by Mona Lisa »

Stonecoldcrazy71 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:47 pm I actually like this record more now than I did back In 1989...It has the worst 2 opening tracks they ever did, but It's good after that.
What's so awful with those two tracks :lol:
Always prefered Party over Kashoggy... They are such strange songs, what style is it? It's a bit theatrical rock.... And a bit funky, right? Party is so much fun, I can put it the loudest possible and never be tired of it :p

Mona Lisa

Post by Mona Lisa »

Young Music Fan wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:14 pm A nice old interview with David Richards about the album:

http://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/david-richards/5631
Thanks, great interview! Interesting how he says: "John doesn't sing much"...

Stonecoldcrazy71

I'm not sure about awful, but when I think of those great opening songs like Death On Two Legs and Brighton Rock It comes up short. I think musically It was a nice come back album after albums like Hot Space and A Kind Of Magic.

Peace Loving Guy

Post by Peace Loving Guy »

I was 11 when the Magic Tour happened and was too young to go. Then the band just vanished off the face of the earth. I figured they’d retired and I slowly collected all their albums. The first time I heard I Want It All on the radio the song wasn’t introduced and I knew after 5 seconds it was Queen. I was completely gobsmacked. It was surreal to have a new Queen album. It was a very fresh, youthful, fun, energised album. I loved it. I would come home from school and listen to the album everyday for about three months solid.

I think I am the only person on here who likes Party and Kashoggi’s Ship!

Part of me is still waiting for the Miracle Tour to happen. Every time I see QAL live I am transported back to being 14 again.

Mona Lisa

Post by Mona Lisa »

O, that's great!! So nice to hear a feedback from when it came out, and I can imagine how it was like to hear a new Queen album after a long silence... And I also love Party and Kashoggi's Ship!
And about seeing QAL I can imagine the feeling... when it was around 2000, that's when I became a big fan and I was really thinking I'll not ever hear them again play together... I was very fan of the Another World album, because that was closest to a recent Queen album for me (and Brian was crazy on it, I thought)
I was super excited when the toured with Paul Rodgers, nevermind how different it was...
Exactly, hearing I want it all from The Miracle played live was amazing. And so was The show must go on.

I am still waiting for hearing other tracks :cry: ... Breakthru, Invisible man, The Miracle, Scandal.....
Innuendo, Slightly Mad, Headlong, etc....

But well, I want it all got its treatment and seems to be part of their live list now.
There must be obvious reasons for them not doing the other songs....

That's how surreal it will be to hear the Miracle Box set. I think that's the closest thing to a Miracle Tour that we will ever hear. Why? Because obviously we'll hear some extra things, making that period more 'alive' in our imaginations.

And then, I know that's off-topic, but were you surprised as well when the album Innuendo came out, or was it less of a surprise? ( and..... Made in Heaven?)

Stonecoldcrazy71

Innuendo was a shock for me...Especially the title track, It was one the the best songs they ever did.