Innuendo

The studio albums, live releases, compilations and box sets
Mona Lisa

Innuendo

Post by Mona Lisa »

Continuing the serie :lol: :lol:

This album is arguably one of their best, if not their best!! What an epic way to close their musical adventure!
What are your thoughts? Your thoughts at the time?

I discovered Queen as a kid , at full blast in my father's car.... with this album, and it impressed me since ever then.

It is a step higher than The Miracle, I think.

It could be their best album.
Maybe the best. (I have to think about that ^^)

Young Music Fan

Re: Innuendo

Post by Young Music Fan »

I'm afraid to say I like it less than The Miracle, it could even be lower down on the list than Flash Gordon. There's something about the sound in it which I don't like - too programmed? And another issue is none of the songs appear in my Top 30 favourite Queen songs list.

-The title track is OK but in my opinion nothing as spectacular as Bohemian Rhapsody which it often is
-I'm Going Slightly Mad I enjoy more now than I did for years especially the video
-Headlong is not one of my favourite heavy songs as it seems to be too long
On I Can't Live With You the drums are a bit dull much rather the "Rocks" version
-Don't Try So Hard is definitely one of my favourites on the album just not as stand out as some of the other power ballads like this
-Ride The Wild Wind is OK but again nothing stands out
-All God's People I have never liked (one of the few Queen songs that have that tidbit), I don't see the point of it as it lacks lyrical content and is just improvisation
-These Are The Days Of Our Lives is one of my favourites
-Delilah is another comedy song on the album which is one too many in my opinion but there are some funny bits on it
-The Hitman goes on for so long I think the original LP edit might be pushing it, I think it's too heavy
-Bijou is another really emotional song
-The Show Must Go On is in my opinion the best song on the album

I get that's a really poignant album but I still struggle to like it. It feels like it's the work of the three of them because from what I see John contributed very little on it. It's even been suggested in the past that a lot of the bass on it could be programmed.

I regard Made In Heaven as the final chapter due to it featuring Freddie's last vocals and especially that long 22 minute song.

Frank

Post by Frank »

Young Music Fan wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:34 am
And another issue is none of the songs appear in my Top 30 favourite Queen songs list.
Wow, I'm surprised The Show Must Go On didn't crack your top 30 at least. To each their own though.

Personally, this is arguably my favorite album. While it's a callback to early Queen it still has its own atmosphere that instantly takes me back to the first time I popped it on. The production is great and Freddie's vocals are at an all time high. Personal favorites are Innuendo, Headlong, Don't Try So Hard, These Are The Days Of Our Lives, Bijou, and The Show Must Go On. Even the stuff often considered "fluff" I find awesome, especially Delilah. I find that song absolutely adorable and Brian's guitar work is underrated.

Stonecoldcrazy71

Post by Stonecoldcrazy71 »

Their best since their prime..Innuendo and The Show Must Go On Is among their best songs..Slightly Mad Is a personal favorite of mine. These Are The Days and Don't Try So Hard, Bijou all are excellent.

Mona Lisa

Post by Mona Lisa »

I'm not too keen on I can't live with you, but however I love the melodic, melancholic verses in the middle of the song..... really similar to what they did in the middle of those songs: Scandal, and The show must go on.

Like Brian said one day, Freddie could turn anything into gold.

I think that those middle sections are written by Freddie and are a personnal touch from him.
Your thoughts?

TheMiracleMan

Post by TheMiracleMan »

A strong album, despite the rather optimistic songs, there was still an atmosphere of hopelessness. I think by default the album is a kind of dedication and Freddie's farewell to us.

Frank

Post by Frank »

Mona Lisa wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:04 pm
I'm not too keen on I can't live with you, but however I love the melodic, melancholic verses in the middle of the song..... really similar to what they did in the middle of those songs: Scandal, and The show must go on.

Like Brian said one day, Freddie could turn anything into gold.

I think that those middle sections are written by Freddie and are a personnal touch from him.
Your thoughts?
I can say with certainty (if we're going by Brian's recollection) that Freddie didn't write the words for the middle section in TSMGO. I read it this morning in the news section, actually.

"We didn’t discuss what the meaning of the song was, but it was of course evident in the background that it was an attempt to give a voice to the feelings that Freddie’s valiant fight against AIDS created in all of us, and even in Freddie. He was too low in energy to create it himself. But I had one unforgettable special afternoon working together with him on solidifying the lyrics of the first verse of this embryonic song about a clown whose make-up hid his pain, before he slid out to attend another treatment. That gave me enough lyrical material to later expand into the eventual two verses. I finished mapping out the song, sang the whole thing as a demo, including the added “Wings of Butterflies” section, which somehow appeared in my head very late one night, and I played it to him when he was next in the studio. The melody called for some very demanding top notes, and I’d only been able to 'demo' them in falsetto. I said to Freddie … "I don’t want you strain yourself - this stuff isn't going to be easy in full voice, even for you!” He said, “Don’t worry – I’ll f…ing nail it, Darling!”. He then downed a couple of his favourite shots of vodka, propped himself up against the mixing desk, and… delivered one of the most extraordinary performances of his life. In the final mix of TSMGO, when you get to “On with the Show” you are listening to a man who conquered everything to deliver his finest work."

Old Man

Post by Old Man »

Around the time of "The Miracle" with no tour following the release, rumours about Freddie's health started spreading. And the song "Was it all worth it" seemed to be meant as a closing bracket in connection to the first ever album song "Keep yourself alive".

So it was a nice surprise, when suddenly a new album appeared out of the blue. But the video to "Innuendo" (in 3D - completely forgotten by now!) raised worries, that the rumours were true.
I felt it was a strong album then, and I still do today. Great songwriting and a variety of styles and lots of guitars.

I remember the interviews about Freddie having no interest in touring anymore, I remember a promotion campaign with a cornflake producer (!) and I remember seeing the "Headlong" video with Mercury looking too thin......

Great album with a dark shadow hanging above.

Mona Lisa

Post by Mona Lisa »

Thanks Frank, that's really interesting and enlightning!! Would you have a link to the interview??
It's so great to read this is such details!!

Mona Lisa

Post by Mona Lisa »

Thanks OldMan, great!! Do you mean that there is a version of the video 'Innuendo' in 3D, or , is it the special visual effects (when the doors open) that give a 3D effect?
I love the artwork for that album... they worked a lot on the visuals.
What is a 'cornflake producer'?