Live Killers

The studio albums, live releases, compilations and box sets
FunnyHowLoveIs

Live Killers

Post by FunnyHowLoveIs »

1/2 of Live Killers is utter crap. The medley is lackluster, "You're My Best Friend" is performed partly and in a rush, lacks any real life. "Spread Your Wings" is absolutely wrecking the 3rd side and it's evident, there's are far better versions around in soundboard releasable condition and I've got most of em too. Mind explaining why "Somebody To Love" was omitted yet was a staple every single night to this day? "Tie Your Mother Down" is okay, but Freddie comes nowhere close to his studio prowess in any song on this entire album. Sure a tour will take a toll on a voice over any other instrument but come on, even "Bohemian Rhapsody" is beaten so badly, it's embarrassing as is "We Will Rock You" & "We Are The Champions".

So what is good about "Live Killers"?

"We Will Rock You" fast version flat out rocks back to back with "Let Me Entertain You", every nano second of it too. "Get Down Make Love" I'm surprised my parents didn't notice the song title much less let me listen to it on "Live Killers" & "News Of The World", I was 11 years young at the time and never been properly kissed by a girl until 13. The live version is surprisingly good but misplaced on the album. "Now I'm Here" is the defining song of this entire double album release, always my favorite live rendition of this, especially Brians golden three note ending at the tail end. "Keep Yourself Alive" sounds as if Freddie can't keep up with the dramatics, as if its run of the mill. "Don't Stop Me Now" sparkles with life as does "Brighton Rock" & "Sheer Heart Attack" "Dreamers Ball" is great, always a playful jazzy song and almost drastically different than the jewel of a version on "Jazz". "Love Of My Life" &
"'39" are okay, but out of the several hundred shows throughout the years, like the rest of this "warts and all" live album, much could've been done better.

So, the obvious question is, why did Queen or did Queen have any say about this?

Young Music Fan

Re: Live Killers

Post by Young Music Fan »

Side 2 and 3 are epic, I just wish the sound quality of the album was better as it lacks dynamically.

Bohemian Rhapsody has a pretty bad vocal crack so they certainly didn't choose the best version of it.
Last edited by Young Music Fan on Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FunnyHowLoveIs

Post by FunnyHowLoveIs »

Young Music Fan wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:59 am Side 3 and 4 are epic, I just wish the sound quality of the album was better as it lacks dynamically.

Bohemian Rhapsody has a pretty bad vocal crack so they certainly didn't choose the best version of it.
Young Music Fan, have you heard the official BBC version of "Spread Your Wings"? It stays true to the "News Of The World" version until the end when the whole band kicks into overdrive and jams for an extended run. That would've made the best ice cream sundae of music on Live Killers.

Young Music Fan

FunnyHowLoveIs wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:55 am
Young Music Fan wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:59 am Side 3 and 4 are epic, I just wish the sound quality of the album was better as it lacks dynamically.

Young Music Fan, have you heard the official BBC version of "Spread Your Wings"? It stays true to the "News Of The World" version until the end when the whole band kicks into overdrive and jams for an extended run. That would've made the best ice cream sundae of music on Live Killers.
I like the audience singing along which isn't on the BBC version. Also, I like how Roger sings with Freddie on the chorus as that doesn't exist on the studio or BBC version. I don't think the fast paced ending works with Spread Your Wings, it would've been better if they stayed faithful to the studio version for the first half and then transit until the fast bit.

FunnyHowLoveIs

Post by FunnyHowLoveIs »

Young Music Fan wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:47 pm
FunnyHowLoveIs wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:55 am

I like the audience singing along which isn't on the BBC version. Also, I like how Roger sings with Freddie on the chorus as that doesn't exist on the studio or BBC version. I don't think the fast paced ending works with Spread Your Wings, it would've been better if they stayed faithful to the studio version for the first half and then transit until the fast bit.
The live killers release of "Spread Your Wings' certainly comes to a boring end like a runoff sentence with a customary period at the end. How about a long trailing bang as it deserved? As the only semi inspired piece of the song is most of Brian May's solo at the end, otherwise, it really lacks any life even with a large audience singing the chorus. Johns songs on Live Killers suffered greatly, "You're My Best Friend" sounds as if the band couldn't get through it quick enough and dreaded another performance. No wonder why he retired.

Young Music Fan

I think You're My Best Friend on Live Killers is a good, standard performance but I'd rather hear an average performance of a song like You're My Best Friend then an average performance of Somebody To Love. I think I'd be a little bit disappointed if it had been a weaker performance of Somebody To Love or It's Late in place of the medley as they are vocally demanding songs and I don't think it would do justice. Bohemian Rhapsody doesn't.

FunnyHowLoveIs

Post by FunnyHowLoveIs »

You are being delicate to the utter lack of musicality in YMBF and it's run of the mill performance or the entire medley of Death On Two Legs, Killer Queen, Bicycle Race & I'm In Love With My Car. For that matter, "Live Killers" should've been a single lp of the cream of the crop, similar to "Live Magic" is to the full length Wembley 86 show in full and by then Queen really had their act together far better than Live Killers respectively. I've heard Queen countless times via my laptop outside official live releases so I can assure you, there are far better and really turd worse versions of the songs they performed. I almost doubt any one member of Queen really had much to do with "Live Killers" as if the record company like "Queen Forever" did it entirely themselves.

Ray

Post by Ray »

Live Killers was my first Queen album and made me a fan. I love that whole album, it was a step in a wonderful magical new music world for me, so I'm very glad this album exists and wish there was a very similar DVD version of that tour also.

There might be better live versions of this and that song, but Queen especially at the end of the 70s was one of the best live bands that ever existed, so even a "weaker" performance at that time is still stellar.

Young Music Fan

FunnyHowLoveIs wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:27 pm You are being delicate to the utter lack of musicality in YMBF and it's run of the mill performance or the entire medley of Death On Two Legs, Killer Queen, Bicycle Race & I'm In Love With My Car. For that matter, "Live Killers" should've been a single lp of the cream of the crop, similar to "Live Magic" is to the full length Wembley 86 show in full and by then Queen really had their act together far better than Live Killers respectively. I've heard Queen countless times via my laptop outside official live releases so I can assure you, there are far better and really turd worse versions of the songs they performed. I almost doubt any one member of Queen really had much to do with "Live Killers" as if the record company like "Queen Forever" did it entirely themselves.
I agree with what you said but the 1979 European Tour is a weak one from Freddie's vocals in my opinion. There isn't to my knowledge one great show like there were on the later Crazy Tour or even on the News Of The World Tour. (The Japanese Tour which followed is even worst.) I just mean if they were to do a live album at the time they should've done one where all members were in peak form. It was rumoured that the Wembley 1978 shows were recorded and Freddie's voice is great in them but I think the whole News Of The World Tour was a strong one from all band members. It's a shame they didn't make Live Killers a year before.

TheMiracleMan

Post by TheMiracleMan »

Wrong thread I think