Jazz - Queen's Most Underrated Album?

The studio albums, live releases, compilations and box sets
Kes

Re: Jazz - Queen's Most Underrated Album?

Post by Kes »

I think Hot Space was a dual glitch because of the success of Another One Bites The Dust, coupled with Freddie's newfound love of nightclubbing in Munich, and maybe a little bit of white powder.

I wouldn't so much say it was a mistake at the time, more of a step too far, too fast.

Good Apothecary Man

Post by Good Apothecary Man »

Obviously, as Queen's music became more mainstream and commercial — catchy, direct and accessible — so they appealed to a wider audience and their worldwide popularity grew. Genesis followed a similar path after their breakthrough hit Follow You Follow Me early in 1978. Compared to 1976–77, both bands were 'big league' by 1980–81 in terms of their worldwide success.

Beyond the point that Jazz was one of a trio of albums (with News of the World and The Game) that demonstrated their commercial appeal, musical versatility and capacity to surprise, I would be wary of overstating its importance. I would certainly argue that, of those three albums, it made the least impact.

We Are the Champions was a massive worldwide hit and News of the World was their biggest-selling album in the USA to that point. The Bob Harris documentary ends with the sense that they were flying high, though the Number 1 slot they so coveted still eluded them.

That came with Crazy Little Thing Called Love at the beginning of 1980 — their first US Number 1. A few months later came the enormous success in the USA of Another One Bites the Dust. The Game sold shedloads as well. To paraphrase Brian at the end of the first part of Days of Our Lives, that was their five minutes as the biggest band in the world.

Jazz and the singles from it had nothing like the same broad appeal or cut-through. Fat Bottomed Girls/Bicycle Race did well, but not spectacularly so. In Britain, Don't Stop Me Now got to Number 9 — a medium-sized hit. The song was dropped from the set by 1980. My impression is that it was only when it became a nightclub favourite in the '90s(?) that it landed in the wider public consciousness.

Good Apothecary Man

Post by Good Apothecary Man »

Thinking about it, only Let Me Entertain You and I suppose Fat Bottomed Girls stayed in the set for more than one trip round the world. That's on a par with Hot Space.

Sir Didymus

Post by Sir Didymus »

All true... but we should never conflate success and popularity with quality. And I genuinely believe Jazz is underrated. Certainly in the last decade it's been the album I turn to most for pure entertainment.

runner70

Post by runner70 »

Leigh Burne wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:06 pm I gave this a spin from end to end today for the first time in several years, and I was struck by how solid it is. It rarely seems to get mentioned among their best albums, and while it might not have a "Bohemian Rhapsody" or "The Sow Must Go On" on it, there really isn't a single track I don't like. Fantastic album.
Fun It and More OF THat Jazz are bloody awful. And the production is easily the worst on any QUeen album ever. Like the album though especially the deeper tracks like "If You cant beat em" of "LEaving home aint easy"

runner70

Post by runner70 »

Lord of all darkness wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:27 am
Kes wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:48 am See, Jazz is like a tin of Quality Street, something for everyone.
Any idea why they called the LP Jazz?
BEcause of the Montreux Jazz festival which they became aware of during recording

runner70

Post by runner70 »

Kes wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:34 pm In The Air Tonight - Phil Collins, Hotel California -Don Henley, These Days - Dave Grohl, pretty much all of Rush's lyrics - Neil Peart. According to James Hetfield, Lars Ulrich is VERY important to Metallica's songwriting.

Nah, drummers can't write songs, can they?

They're just as valid as any other person in a band, if they can write lyrics or string half a dozen chords together.
Or Mike Portnoy from Dream Theater - he was almost the heart of the band. Since he left it went downhill somewhat

Kes

Post by Kes »

Drums are a difficult instrument to write a song from. You really need to be able to play a melodical instrument like piano or guitar, to write on. I suppose you can write vocally, but that won't help you construct chords.