Jazz - Queen's Most Underrated Album?

The studio albums, live releases, compilations and box sets
robdeighton

Re: Jazz - Queen's Most Underrated Album?

Post by robdeighton »

Kes wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:27 pm The UK got the Queen At The Beeb album in 1989, about six years before the US got it (retitled At The BBC), and the MIH singles. Same versions, same tracks, different sleeve.
Thats is correct - on the Band of Joy label. Pressed by PDO and the disc now suffers with "Disc Rot" so its rare if you have a working copy.

My point been that it said "From The Forthcoming Album - Queen at the BBC" which never appeared, which is a bit of mis-information on their part.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Indeed it was intended, that's why Hollywood got it, but for some reason, EMI didn't follow it up.

I live in the UK, and I've got about four copies of the Hollywood CD, and two of the picture disc vinyl release, so it obviously wasn't completely impossible to get it here, if you wanted it. And my BOJ CD still plays too.

In fact, thinking about it, one of those CDs is Canadian, and has an A&M label on it. I don't know what that's all about.

Wild Wind

Post by Wild Wind »

Τhe picture cover on Queen at BBC was supposed to be the cover of their first album, before they changed ideas.

Lord of all darkness

Post by Lord of all darkness »

I listened to this last night in the car via Spotify. I had forgotten what a great song Dead on Time is. A very underrated song that could have been a single.

My favorite moment in my teenage years was when I opened the album up, with a poster full of naked women on bikes. :ugeek:

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

Lord of all darkness wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:39 amI listened to this last night in the car via Spotify. I had forgotten what a great song Dead on Time is. A very underrated song that could have been a single.
Love "Dead on Time". Probably my favourite song on the album, actually. One of the heaviest tracks they ever did.

Young Music Fan

Post by Young Music Fan »

It's taken me years to like Dead On Time and I first did a year ago. I still don't love it now to be honest. I think I find it bland not musicality but just the production and mix of it. But then the sound isn't very good on Jazz is it...

Sir Didymus

Post by Sir Didymus »

Young Music Fan wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:49 am But then the sound isn't very good on Jazz is it...
On the original vinyl pressings, it's sublime. The 2011 remaster on the recent pink vinyl issue sounds pretty stonking, but nothing holds a candle to that tight as balls analogue mix. On a good system, those tight drums really do thump you one.

action

Post by action »

"In only seven days" may well be my favorite Queen track ever

Kes

Post by Kes »

See, Jazz is like a tin of Quality Street, something for everyone.

robdeighton

Post by robdeighton »

Kes wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:48 am See, Jazz is like a tin of Quality Street, something for everyone.
Nice analogy - but I would say that a tin of quality street is how Roger’s drums sound.