Greatest Hits III [Special Edition]

The studio albums, live releases, compilations and box sets
Leigh Burne

Re: Greatest Hits III [Special Edition]

Post by Leigh Burne »

Dali wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:17 pmHammer to Fall and Tie Your Mother Down in particular are begging to be remixed.
I fail to see how either of those songs needs to be remixed. They sound absolutely fantastic as they are.

MichaelAllred76

Post by MichaelAllred76 »

The Wyclef AOBTD never should've been included.
Roger should have had one of his higher charting singles included instead. "Happiness" or "Foreign Sand" would've worked better, sounded more appropriate and been more fair as Brian and Freddie had solo hits included.

Kes

Post by Kes »

I agree about AOBTD.

If that qualifies, why not shove Ice Ice Baby on there? Same idea, have a hit by sampling the arse out of a Queen song.

Didymus

Post by Didymus »

Ice Ice Baby was an illegal sample of John Deacon's bassline, that eventually cost Vanilla Ice in court.

Another One Bites the Dust '98 was an officially licenced, credited to Queen track, featuring all four band members and some additional rapping. It was also a bigger hit in the UK than the original version.

You might not like it - but it 100% earned its place on Greatest Hits III, in the same way I'd argue the shit for the gawd awful 5ive single if Hits III had been released 18 months later... they'd be stupid to not include a #1 hit.

I do agree though, it was silly to have Brian & Freddie solo songs on there, and nothing from Roger. But then, it was a Queen release, so as far as I'm concerned, solo songs shouldn't have been on the table anyway.

WeeMann

Post by WeeMann »

Didymus wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:46 pm Ice Ice Baby was an illegal sample of John Deacon's bassline, that eventually cost Vanilla Ice in court.
I don't think Vanilla Ice saw it that way. I forget where I saw the quote, but he was convinced he walked away with a writing credit on Under Pressure.

It must be great to be that blissfully unaware of what's going on around you.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Where I'd draw the line.

If no member of Queen had any creative input into the song, other than a historic bit of tape going on in places of the song, then it's building a song around a sample.

With AOBTD, the only thing that makes it a Queen song, IS the sampling of something that's already been a hit.

I'm not particularly keen on the 5ive thing, but at least Brian and eventually Roger went into a studio and recorded some "new" bits for it.

As regards GHIII, Under Pressure is a far cop. Roger added bits and remixed it, The Elton John one's fair enough because three members of Queen played fresh parts on it. The solo stuff, no, because it IS solo stuff, and there were original top 40 singles that aren't on any GH albums.

Therefore :-

Solo stuff on a Queen album = Scraping the barrel.
Songs where the only Queen connection is a sample = Scraping the barrel.
As above, but featuring guest appearances = Scraping the barrel.
Re-constructed tracks, by Queen, like the Made In Heaven tracks = Fair game for a Queen GH album.

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

I dunno, I’m fine with them putting a few solo tracks on there, it’s what encouraged me to go out and start getting their solo work. Although it would’ve been nice if Roger had one too. Just about anything from him would’ve been far preferable to the Wyclef remix.

Besides, it is conspicuously billed as “Queen+” on the front cover.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Big difference between Queen + David Bowie, Queen + George Michael, Queen + Elton John, and Queen + Wyclef Jean, Queen + 5ive, and Queen + Vanguard.

One grouping kind of involves Queen, and the other one is a bit more tenuous.

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

I guess it depends on whether you interpret "Queen+" as meaning Queen plus the people they've collaborated with, or Queen plus some other stuff. I get why people think the solo stuff shouldn't be on there, but as I say, it's not something that bothered me.

On the subject of Queen collaborations though, has anyone else heard John Farnham's version of "We Will Rock You"?

It's probably the only one of these latter day covers/collaborations I actually like. It starts out a bit meh but once it gets to the newer sections it really flies, I think. Plus Farnham smashes it on the vocals.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Yeah, great innit?

We got 5ive, the Aussies get John Farnham.

Strewth.