Greatest Hits III [Special Edition]

The studio albums, live releases, compilations and box sets
Didymus

Re: Greatest Hits III [Special Edition]

Post by Didymus »

We are clearly very different people as I can't stand thr Farnham track. I'd rather have all the various remixes of the Wyclef song on a loop for ten days solid than listen to that dodgy vocal atop the karaoke original (you can clearly hear Freddie on there!) more than twice a decade.

Sure the new bit at the end is kinda fun... but also overproduced and a bit sloppy.

Anyhow... my line is drawn simply: Is it credited to Queen and was a hit single? Then it belongs on a Greatest Hits. That means Farnham can stuff off but 5ive and Wyclef, their merits or lack of them notwithstanding, get a free pass. I loathe that terrible "You Are The Champions" from last year but if it had gone top ten in the singles chart you're damn right I'd argue it deserved to be on a new Hits collection.

Kes

Post by Kes »

The one thing I think we all agree on, is that something like Spread Your Wings or Tie Your Mother Down, has more right to be on a Queen album, than a retrospective collaboration, constructed after the original lead singer has died.

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

Didymus wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:46 amAnyhow... my line is drawn simply: Is it credited to Queen and was a hit single? Then it belongs on a Greatest Hits. That means Farnham can stuff off but 5ive and Wyclef, their merits or lack of them notwithstanding, get a free pass.
The Farnham track was credited to Queen + John Fanham on its original Australian single release and the 2003 Rugby World Cup album for which it was recorded.

Kes

Post by Kes »

It's all horses for courses, isn't it?

One song that means nothing to one person, has important memories attached to it, for another.

Related to the 5ive single, I travelled up to London, and sat through an entire mimed concert for Japanese television, just to see Brian and Roger play the last 90 seconds of it, live.

I'd have preferred it, if Brian and Roger had done a whole show, who wouldn't?

Didymus

Post by Didymus »

Leigh Burne wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:26 am
Didymus wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:46 amAnyhow... my line is drawn simply: Is it credited to Queen and was a hit single? Then it belongs on a Greatest Hits. That means Farnham can stuff off but 5ive and Wyclef, their merits or lack of them notwithstanding, get a free pass.
The Farnham track was credited to Queen + John Fanham on its original Australian single release and the 2003 Rugby World Cup album for which it was recorded.
Wasn't a hit, though, was it?

Didymus

Post by Didymus »

Kes wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:46 am The one thing I think we all agree on, is that something like Spread Your Wings or Tie Your Mother Down, has more right to be on a Queen album, than a retrospective collaboration, constructed after the original lead singer has died.
Well, that was always my point really.

Hits III missed out multiple top 40 Hits for the band in favour of solo songs and non singles. The end result was disappointing.

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

Didymus wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:14 pmWasn't a hit, though, was it?
Never said it was. Just pointing out that it was, in fact, credited to Queen.

Kes

Post by Kes »

My whole point was that the Wycliffe track should never have been on there. Nor the Freddie or Brian tracks.

Queen did enough that they never needed to scrap the barrel, or be accused of it.

They might as well have thrown a few tracks on there by Steps.

Didymus

Post by Didymus »

Kes wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:50 pm My whole point was that the Wycliffe track should never have been on there. Nor the Freddie or Brian tracks.

Queen did enough that they never needed to scrap the barrel, or be accused of it.

They might as well have thrown a few tracks on there by Steps.
And I maintain that, regardless of how it was made, the Wyclef remix was a top five UK hit single credited to Queen.

While it wasn't a natural collaboration, it was their latest charting hit single in 1999 when the collection was pulled together, and featuring Wyclef Jean and Pras Michel who were both HUGE stars at the time. Both of them had multiple #1 hits internationally with the Fugees and huge hits in their own right in 1998 (Gone Till November and Ghetto Supastar).

The two of them getting back together after the Fugees track to work on a Queen remix? Huge huge HUGE thing for the band at that point in time, introducing them to a whole new audience. An audience who might just spot it on Hits III and decide to buy it to learn more.

I absolutely, 100% believe leaving it off Greatest Hits III in 1999 would have been utterly moronic and out of touch with reality.

Take a step back from personal dislike of the song and you'll almost certainly be able to see it was absolutely worth including it from a commercial standpoint.

I absolutely detest the 5ive single and the Robbie Williams collaboration... but if the latter had been a commercially released single it would have undoubtedly been a hit, and if Greatest Hits III had come out in 2002 instead of 1999 I'd be fighting their corner for their right to be on there too. Even though, as I say, I personally hate them.

It's about making a commercially enticing collection of hit singles by the band.... that's probably why they felt it was a good idea to put Barcelona, Living On My Own and Driven By You on there to bolster the hit quota. I don't agree with that decision when there are Queen songs missing, but I can understand it. Though an even better idea would have been to follow Hits III with a solo singles collection featuring Freddie, Brian and Roger hits. That could've been a solid seller in the early 2000s. Maybe even now tbh!

Kes

Post by Kes »

While we're on it.

Why not put the No More Brothers remix of Living On My Own on there? Not the remix from the Freddie Mercury Album.

I know which version actually got to #1.

It most likely wasn't an oversight, either.