Greatest Hits III [Special Edition]

The studio albums, live releases, compilations and box sets
WeeMann

Re: Greatest Hits III [Special Edition]

Post by WeeMann »

Generic username wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:26 pm Wasn't Wwry a double a side in the UK with watc?

Flick of the wrist should have been on Gh1 on that basis as well
Nope, a common misconception, it was the B side. Technically it shouldn't have been on GH.

http://www.queenpedia.com/index.php?tit ... s_(single)

Action This Day

Post by Action This Day »

Ultimate Queen website claims that only one single was a genuine AA side: Bo Rhap/TATDOOL in 1991.

The rest were labelled as separate A & B sides including Killer Queen/Flick of the Wrist, Bicycle Race/Fat Bottomed Girls and WATC/WWRY.

KQ/Flick was definitely advertised in the press before release as being AA side however.

Kes

Post by Kes »

WWRY is arguable, as in places like France, it was flipped halfway through it's chart run, and WWRY was promoted to the A side. But in the UK, I'm pretty sure it was always the B side.

Kes

Post by Kes »

WWRY is arguable, as in places like France, it was flipped halfway through it's chart run, and WWRY was promoted to the A side. But in the UK, I'm pretty sure it was always the B side.

Generic username

Post by Generic username »

Action This Day wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:52 pm
KQ/Flick was definitely advertised in the press before release as being AA side however.
Exactly

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

Kes wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:24 pmWWRY is arguable, as in places like France, it was flipped halfway through it's chart run, and WWRY was promoted to the A side.
Wasn't that because of some weird technicality where at the time songs could only be counted in the French charts for so long before they were "expelled", for want of a better term?

So they arbitrarily flipped it at the end of the allowed time frame and BANG, it got back into the charts.

Kes

Post by Kes »

That's what I heard.

Dali

Post by Dali »

Kes wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:00 pm First time We Will Rock You was actually a chart hit in the UK, though.

I know it's subjective, but in my opinion, it's not half as "please switch the f*cking stereo off!" as bad as the Wyclef nightmare.
Not just a hit. A number 1, if I remember correctly. And yeah, I agree about it being better than the Wyclef horror.

Combine this with the Robbie Williams version of WATC, and you have a killer double A side single. And no, that wasn't irony.

Sir Didymus

Post by Sir Didymus »

Kes wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:00 pm First time We Will Rock You was actually a chart hit in the UK, though.

I know it's subjective, but in my opinion, it's not half as "please switch the f*cking stereo off!" as bad as the Wyclef nightmare.

"Yo, Freddie Mercury, where you at?"

Dead, mate. Didn't anyone tell you?
I'll take Freddie actually singing around some 90s rap over lines like "no whut ah meen whucha back wee gut kween on dis trak" any day.

I'd have no qualms even now walking into a record store with my head held high buying a copy of tha Wyclef remix. I felt embarrassed as all hell as a 15 year old going to pay for that 5ive cd single in Our Price and nowadays I'd either but it online or just illegally download the fucker.

Tolerance of the rap may vary but I'd argue the Wyclef remix has aged far better too and now has a vintage appeal for younger generations, while the 5ive thing is fortunately long forgotten.

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

I think I mostly prefer the Wyclef version myself because I liked the film.