Flash Gordon vinyl picture disc

The studio albums, live releases, compilations and box sets
BitterTears

Re: Flash Gordon vinyl picture disc

Post by BitterTears »

So many companies seem to make limited edition products that sell out on day 1 these days. Sometimes the exclusivity is part of the brand and I get that. Sometimes it doesn't seem to make sense. At least to me.

And with every limited edition type of thing, it just attracts scalpers which is highly frustrating. I think I count 55 of these on eBay on sale or have already sold. And no one has even received one yet. I'm sure that number will increase once people actually have them.

There's a video game company that release games physically that otherwise would only have had a digital release and they (sometimes) do open pre-orders. They open pre-orders for a month and then do their manufacturing run once they know how many they'll need. I know there's more factors to consider but seems a shame that we couldn't get something like that for these picture discs. Would still be limited. Would still need to put in your order now or risk not being able to get one later. But at least it wouldn't come down to luck.

I'm rambling. There's things I'm missing. Everything is more complicated than it seems to an outsider. I do understand that. I'm guess I'm just still annoyed I missed the NotW one!

Kes

Post by Kes »

Rightly annoyed.

People have registered here, just to obtain product, and advance tickets for stuff they have no interest in, except to make a profit from it.

If it was possible to find only people, who'd still own what they buy, in five years time, I'd try and sell it just to them.

Generic username

Post by Generic username »

Kes wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:11 pm Rightly annoyed.

People have registered here, just to obtain product, and advance tickets for stuff they have no interest in, except to make a profit from it.

If it was possible to find only people, who'd still own what they buy, in five years time, I'd try and sell it just to them.
But if it was only available to, for example, the forum users (as the engaged website users), we'd all be buying 5 each. It's just human nature, sadly.

(And I know that it's not a practical example)

Kes

Post by Kes »

There's plenty of people who are fans enough to go to Montreux or Conventions every year, who don't ever come to this place.

I don't know. Advance tickets and limited product "should" be exclusive to people who are genuine fans, but how do you do it.

I'll bet some of the people who did successfully bid for one of these picture discs in the QOL shop, both didn't intend to keep them, or obtained more than one copy, to an alternate account, and/or address, pertaining to friends or relatives.

I don't know how you get round it.

Life is Real

Post by Life is Real »

I was lucky enough to get one. I was logged in prior to 3pm, time was designed to help those abroad and in the USA.
It actually went live at 2.58 pm.
I agree with the limited quantity, its what makes it a unique collectable, 1980 to match the year of release.

I was hoping for a similar release for the anniversary of Innuendo.
I won't be selling, my daughter wants them left to her in my will she says !!

Kes

Post by Kes »

For sure, those who are buying them for the silly money, are probably the people who should have got them in the first place. They're likely winding up at the correct places, it's just those who only see $, £, and € signs who are the problem.

Life is Real

Post by Life is Real »

👆👍 spot on.

MyHumanZoo

Post by MyHumanZoo »

BitterTears wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:03 pm So many companies seem to make limited edition products that sell out on day 1 these days. Sometimes the exclusivity is part of the brand and I get that. Sometimes it doesn't seem to make sense. At least to me.

And with every limited edition type of thing, it just attracts scalpers which is highly frustrating. I think I count 55 of these on eBay on sale or have already sold. And no one has even received one yet. I'm sure that number will increase once people actually have them.

There's a video game company that release games physically that otherwise would only have had a digital release and they (sometimes) do open pre-orders. They open pre-orders for a month and then do their manufacturing run once they know how many they'll need. I know there's more factors to consider but seems a shame that we couldn't get something like that for these picture discs. Would still be limited. Would still need to put in your order now or risk not being able to get one later. But at least it wouldn't come down to luck.

I'm rambling. There's things I'm missing. Everything is more complicated than it seems to an outsider. I do understand that. I'm guess I'm just still annoyed I missed the NotW one!
You’re not rambling! I agree with you, even preorder would be better. It’s just so hard when people/companies are able to snap stuff up in quantities solely for resale, there’s no way to battle it, really. In light of that, it seems like they would forego collector type items released in small quantities and just go for pleasing the masses. I don’t think much of anything released in the wake of the Borhap movies will truly be a collectible...everyone is into it right now. The stuff that truly has value are things that come out when a group is early on or not in a super marketable phase. Just being a smaller quantity won’t do it at the moment, if you ask me. So then why don’t QPL keep on a money-making and image path and release to us little people? ;)

MyHumanZoo

Post by MyHumanZoo »

Life is Real wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:51 pm

I was hoping for a similar release for the anniversary of Innuendo.
I won't be selling, my daughter wants them left to her in my will she says !!
You raised your daughter right! 👍😊

WeeMann

Post by WeeMann »

Number 425 arrived at my house this morning. It does look a thing of beauty.