Restructuring Hot Space

The studio albums, live releases, compilations and box sets
Sir Didymus

Restructuring Hot Space

Post by Sir Didymus »

Something I've done for fun over the years is take several attempts at restructuring Queen's 80s/90s albums to have a look at what might have been. Whilst I love those albums dearly, some of them don't hold up as well as their 70s counterparts, and I think all of them could have been improved to some extent. Yes, even Innuendo.

So. You have the opportunity to change Hot Space. You can pull in any other songs from the era, including solo projects provided their origins are from the same approximate period.

The only rules are:

1. The album still needs to be structured for vinyl - so a maximum of 25 minutes per side.
2. The songs you remove will end up as B-sides, so feel free to chose your singles from the album, to complement them.

How do YOU take this very good (and dare I say it, highly underrated) album, and turn it into an even better one?

Sir Didymus

Re: Restructuring Hot Space

Post by Sir Didymus »

Having had many many attempts at this over the years, here's my 2020 Version...

Hot Space: The Album

SIDE A
01. Action This Day
02. Back Chat [Single Remix]
03. Calling All Girls
04. Soul Brother
05. Life is Real (Song for Lennon)
06. Under Pressure

SIDE B
07. Las Palabras de Amor (The Words of Love)
08. My Country [Single Version] - Roger Taylor
09. Dancer
10. Staying Power
11. Let Me Out - Brian May & Friends

For an album that's frequently dismissed as too disco, the first thing you'll notice is I've gone and stripped the heaviest song off it! But in all honesty, I really don't rate "Put Out The Fire". That said, I don't rate "Las Palabras de Amor" either, but it fits with the vibe of the record I've created.

I'm sad to lose "Cool Cat", particularly as in my reality, Bowie's backing vocals have been reinstated. But that's okay, because it just becomes a cool little b-side instead. As does the fun but throwaway "Body Language", which I think was the #1 reason for the reputational damage this album suffered.

And suddenly, with the funkier moments of the record moved around a bit, and by pulling in my favourite Roger solo track of the era, and Brian's sublime track from the "Star Fleet Project", I reckon you've got a cracker here... and we restore the previous equilibrium of having at least one Roger and Brian sung track each per Queen album!

Hot Space: The Singles

Under Pressure b/w Cool Cat [feat. David Bowie]
Dancer b/w Body Language
Action This Day b/w Put Out The Fire
Life is Real (Song for Lennon) b/w The Night Comes Down

Ok, full confession time. I bloody love "Dancer". It's pretty much the Scissor Sisters 20 years early. And I think it was the disco/rock hybrid hit they could have had to follow up AOBTD. I also really love "Calling All Girls", but I think "Action This Day" would be a stronger choice for a single as it feels very much of that era.

And finally, in time for Christmas and the second anniversary of his death, a single release of "Life is Real (Song for Lennon)" coupled with what was by then a 9 year old, little known song that namechecked a John Lennon song might have just won over the festive market.

But then... I have to admit. The album I've made doesn't really have any strong singles on it. But nevertheless, I do love it far more than the original version of Hot Space... which I'm quite surprised about!

ogre t raylot

Post by ogre t raylot »

Nice list, personally I couldn't lose Cool Cat Freddie's vocal is stunning.

1. Staying Power (12" Promo)
2. Feels Like
3. Back Chat (12") - the PiotreQ remix is a great one too.
4. Body Language (Hollywood Remix)
5. Action This Day (Seibu Lions Stadium)

1. Put Out the Fire (LA Forum)
2. Life Is Real (Demo)
3. Calling All Girls (Seibu Lions Stadium)
4. Las Palabras de Amor (Demo)
5. Cool Cat (Bowie Scat)
6. Under Pressure (Classic Queen Mix)

Dave

Post by Dave »

I've never liked the studio version of staying power but love how they did it live, so I'd have the live version on the album. I'd drop body language and probably replace it with a human body or soul brother even though none of them are much better.

I'm not familiar with Roger's solo stuff but let me out is a good shout 👍

Nick W
Site Admin

Post by Nick W »

Oddly, did this just yesterday on Spotify - love the material on the album, just think it could have been structured in a way that didn't jar the fans so much from the off. Just my opinion of course...lost two tracks and added a B-side for a snappy 10 tracker.

1. Put Out The Fire
2. Action This Day
3. Under Pressure
4. Soul Brother
5. Staying Power
6. Dancer
7. Calling All Girls
8. Cool Cat
9. Back Chat
10. Life Is Real

I would someone to do a really great remix on this album, just throwing some massive beats up and under it and keeping the guitar high in the mix too.

ogre t raylot

Post by ogre t raylot »

@Nick W Throw the list up, so we can all listen to it.

Here's a revamped Dancer....

and some back chat

Nick W wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:07 pm

I would someone to do a really great remix on this album, just throwing some massive beats up and under it and keeping the guitar high in the mix too.

Sir Didymus

Post by Sir Didymus »

Nick W wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:07 pm

Definitely. The recent FM remixes were brilliant... so if the band fancy doing that to Hot Space too... well, we're two years away from it's 40th anniversary... ;)

YAFF

Post by YAFF »

I'd keep Hot Space as is, thank you. "Body Language" is a very cool track. Always loved it (well, except for the moans and groans). "Soul Brother"? Definitely a B Side at best. People, you so cray-zay.

I love all 15 Queen albums.

Nick W
Site Admin

Post by Nick W »

One of the best things the Beatles ever did was issue Let It Be...Naked.

ogre t raylot

Post by ogre t raylot »

an interesting listen. 8-) and kind of bold getting Under Pressure on ther album early.

whoever came up with the idea that Body Language should be the lead single was taking some heavy chit! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nick W wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:30 pm
One of the best things the Beatles ever did was issue Let It Be...Naked.