Restructuring Hot Space

The studio albums, live releases, compilations and box sets
ogre t raylot

Re: Restructuring Hot Space

Post by ogre t raylot »

Last edited by ogre t raylot on Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

ogre t raylot

Post by ogre t raylot »

Sir Didymus

Post by Sir Didymus »

Well, I was going to come to the other albums in due course... ;)

Wild Wind

Post by Wild Wind »

In retrospect they shouldn't have released this album. It is so uninspired.
They were big back then so their tour could have been for their 10th anniversary. If they released a double album or a double live album in 1983-1984 their contract could have been the same.
In Hot Space only the production of Mack matters the songwriting is below their standards.

ogre t raylot

Post by ogre t raylot »

No, no a thousand times no.
Hot Space is a damned album, and the last time they had the cajones to follow their muse.
Every album/product since then has seen them play safe, attempting to please the fanbase.

Wild Wind wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:34 am In retrospect they shouldn't have released this album. It is so uninspired.

Wild Wind

Post by Wild Wind »

ogre t raylot wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:43 am No, no a thousand times no.
Hot Space is a damned album, and the last time they had the cajones to follow their muse.
Every album/product since then has seen them play safe, attempting to please the fanbase.

Wild Wind wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:34 am In retrospect they shouldn't have released this album. It is so uninspired.
I don't think so, during Hot Space they tried to ride the wave created by the success of AOBTD and the rest of the songs minus UP were below their standards. It was a missed opportunity to use Freddie voice which was super at that period.
Even in The Works and AKOM they threw new elements like Radio Gaga, IWTBF, Machines and Hammer to fall (Def leppard AC DC oriented song).
Also One Vision and WWTLFE and AKOM soundtrack version Princes of the Universe indicate that, they still wanting something new. The rest is weak and yes they wanted to please their fans.
During The Miracle was trying to sound live and fresh (not all the songs are good)
Innuendo they were following their muse by giving a great songwriting

ogre t raylot

Post by ogre t raylot »

The Works is paint-by-numbers Queen for the most part, retreading old songs and putting new skin on them.

for me, outside of the first two tracks and the 12" remix of Pain Is So Close To Pleasure, A Kind Of Magic is the nadir of Queen, there is no new ground on that album.

I've come to appreciate The Miracle over the last few years, once i skip the first two tracks.

no of the above albums are a patch on the creativity displayed on Hot Space, it's tainted (I believe) because of the choice of Body Language (b-side material at best) being released as the single.

Wild Wind wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:40 am

I don't think so, during Hot Space they tried to ride the wave created by the success of AOBTD and the rest of the songs minus UP were below their standards. It was a missed opportunity to use Freddie voice which was super at that period.
Even in The Works and AKOM they threw new elements like Radio Gaga, IWTBF, Machines and Hammer to fall (Def leppard AC DC oriented song).
Also One Vision and WWTLFE and AKOM soundtrack version Princes of the Universe indicate that, they still wanting something new. The rest is weak and yes they wanted to please their fans.
During The Miracle was trying to sound live and fresh (not all the songs are good)
Innuendo they were following their muse by giving a great songwriting

ogre t raylot

Post by ogre t raylot »

An interesting take and discussion about the Hot Space album from two Australian guys - Second Spin

Frank

Post by Frank »

ogre t raylot wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:31 pm An interesting take and discussion about the Hot Space album from two Australian guys - Second Spin
I've been enjoying their discussion. Thanks for sharing!

Old Man

Post by Old Man »

I think, the only thing one can do to improve "Hot Space" is exchanging most songs with their live versions. Cause the real problem of "Hot Space" is the sound. It was a mystery even then, why a band with such great and recognisable players replaced them with soul-less drumcomputers and keyboards. Those "new" sounds may have sounded fresh then. But as we know by now, artificial sounds like syn-drums do not age well. Many 80s recordings from countless other artists also suffer from that. While even well recorded 60s-stuff with drums, bass, guitar and piano has passed the test of time like the later Beatles-recordings.

If "Queen" had recorded the "Hot Space"-songs with the "dance grooves", but using their original analogue instruments, the album might have turned out more exciting, original and long-lasting. Just see what "Queen" have done with the "Mr.Bad Guy"-songs for "Made in Heaven". Some of the "Hot Space" tracks might have been good candidates for a "Made in Heaven 2". But probably this is too late now....

I think 81/82 was a difficult time for the band. They didn't know where to go, also they seemed to run out of songs. And even the videos looked uninspired compared to what was before and came after.

But I think that's a natural thing for any artist. "Queen" were already 10 years around by then, most successful acts only have just 3 to 5 years and then disappear. So I remember visiting an early "Hot Space" concert then and thinking, this could have been the beginning of the end. Luckily I was wrong....they learned their lesson. So "Hot Space" was no good album, but a necessary step on their way.