Delilah

Singles, B-sides, remixes, deep cuts and unreleased tracks
Mona Lisa

Delilah

Post by Mona Lisa »

I absolutely love this song........
Like I said in another post, if I take away the rhythm and the humorous words, it can be a very melancolic song and reminded me of the demo "I guess we're falling out" and so I thought that Delilah originated maybe from The Miracle sessions.... We will maybe see more clear about it with the Miracle box set.

So, who likes and who doesn't like Delilah, and why?

Meeow

MyHumanZoo

Re: Delilah

Post by MyHumanZoo »

I like it....and I don’t like it, how is that for decisive?! I like the whimsy of it, and I like listening to the effects that Brian did for meowing....and I just like it that Freddie wrote about his favorite cat! I don’t like some of the words and phrasing though...for example, the part where “you pee all over my Chippendale suite” completely does not fit the song. It is forced, kind of gross, and a lot of people don’t even know what a Chippemdale suite would be. So I wish he had worked more on the lyrics to make them clever and to fit the melody and timing in the song better. If the lyrics were better the song would have been really cute. It’s really uncharacteristic of him to be a bit lazy with lyrics like this.

Mona Lisa

Post by Mona Lisa »

I've heard (from Peter Freestone I think) that he wrote this song originally for a Disney animated movie.... Maybe the lyrics were related to that as well? (Or not...) He wasn't able to give more details, as I recall. Let's hope that we find out more about it one day.

Old Man

Post by Old Man »

MyHumanZoo wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:54 pm I don’t like some of the words and phrasing though...for example, the part where “you pee all over my Chippendale suite” completely does not fit the song. It is forced, kind of gross, and a lot of people don’t even know what a Chippemdale suite would be. So I wish he had worked more on the lyrics to make them clever and to fit the melody and timing in the song better. If the lyrics were better the song would have been really cute. It’s really uncharacteristic of him to be a bit lazy with lyrics like this.
That line is already in the demo, where it sounds like the peak of the song ! Obviously no one dared to contradict....but for me it also sounds weird.

There are some "strange lyrics" in several Queen songs. "Your smile speaks books to me" from "Breakthru" or "So the pound has dropped and the children are creating" from "Friends will be friends"....Somehow the whole "Friends will be Friends" is "forced"...

FunnyHowLoveIs

Post by FunnyHowLoveIs »

I changed the words to sing "Delilah" to my then wife.

MyHumanZoo

Post by MyHumanZoo »

Mona Lisa wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:11 pm I've heard (from Peter Freestone I think) that he wrote this song originally for a Disney animated movie.... Maybe the lyrics were related to that as well? (Or not...) He wasn't able to give more details, as I recall. Let's hope that we find out more about it one day.
I’m not sure that it was for a movie, but I believe Disney did an animation of Delilah as a video for the song. I’m thinking that actually came from Jim Beach in an interview, but don’t quote me on that.