Queen's First EP Discussion

Singles, B-sides, remixes, deep cuts and unreleased tracks

What's your favourite song on Queen's First EP?

Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy
35%
Death On Two Legs (Dedicated To...)
10%
Tenement Funster
5%
White Queen (As It Began)
50%

Total votes: 20

Young Music Fan

Queen's First EP Discussion

Post by Young Music Fan »

It's not a bad collection of songs, a mix of classic album tracks from the last four albums when first released in May 1977. But to improve it in my opinion is to have had You And I instead of Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy then it would've been more representative of Queen e.g. a track each = equal royalties. In my opinion YAI could've been a big hit if it was released as a single as it's a very commercial track (more than a lot of other Queen songs) but it has never been given much attention.

Frank

Re: Queen's First EP Discussion

Post by Frank »

GOFLB is my favorite on the EP. However, I completely understand where you're coming from. You And I should have been a single. I would argue it's one of John's finest pop creations. Absolutely perfect start to finish. A real gem on A Day at the Races.

Cool Cat

Post by Cool Cat »

White Queen, and in my opinion it came from the best album.

Black Wings

Post by Black Wings »

I like how the songs can fit many moods, from storytelling, anger, fun and punk.
My favorite from this this would have to be WQ. A very under-rated Queen song.

action

Post by action »

Young Music Fan wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:44 pm It's not a bad collection of songs, a mix of classic album tracks from the last four albums when first released in May 1977. But to improve it in my opinion is to have had You And I instead of Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy then it would've been more representative of Queen e.g. a track each = equal royalties. In my opinion YAI could've been a big hit if it was released as a single as it's a very commercial track (more than a lot of other Queen songs) but it has never been given much attention.
they were not equal.

you could replace either brian, roger or john, and Queen could have continued in some capacity. Kind of like AC/DC.

you lose freddie, and it's game over.

Cool Cat

Post by Cool Cat »

action wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:33 am
Young Music Fan wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:44 pm It's not a bad collection of songs, a mix of classic album tracks from the last four albums when first released in May 1977. But to improve it in my opinion is to have had You And I instead of Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy then it would've been more representative of Queen e.g. a track each = equal royalties. In my opinion YAI could've been a big hit if it was released as a single as it's a very commercial track (more than a lot of other Queen songs) but it has never been given much attention.
they were not equal.

you could replace either brian, roger or john, and Queen could have continued in some capacity. Kind of like AC/DC.

Its game over with recording i'll agree, but not with live shows, or Bri & Rog with Adam wouldn't still be selling out shows all over the world, sure it'll never be the same without Fred, but not game over, not yet.

Jake

Post by Jake »

they were not equal.

💯

Jake

Post by Jake »

Cool Cat wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:16 pm
they were not equal.

Its game over with recording i'll agree, but not with live shows, or Bri & Rog with Adam wouldn't still be selling out shows all over the world, sure it'll never be the same without Fred, but not game over, not yet.
Like they have a choice to your with Freddie. A “well, this is what you’re gonna get” situation.

Kes

Post by Kes »

It's fair to say that "at the time" they released this EP, which was in itself to help publicise a mini-tour, You And I had already been issued on single, both sides of the pond. On the B side of Tie Your Mother Down over here, and on the other side of Long Away in the States.

Would have been a bit silly putting it on the next single as well, wouldn't it?

Pretty sure that they weren't planning on releasing it when they issued the previous singles. It was a late decision to put together an EP.

Kes

Post by Kes »

I recently picked up a copy of the EP on the Elektra label, which was a bit of a shock, as I didn't realise it got a release outside Europe.

Australia got it. Track banding on the second side is a bit in the wrong place, but still.