Queen's First EP Discussion

Singles, B-sides, remixes, deep cuts and unreleased tracks

What's your favourite song on Queen's First EP?

Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy
35%
Death On Two Legs (Dedicated To...)
10%
Tenement Funster
5%
White Queen (As It Began)
50%

Total votes: 20

Young Music Fan

Re: Queen's First EP Discussion

Post by Young Music Fan »

Kes wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:17 pm I recently picked up a copy of the EP on the Elektra label, which was a bit of a shock, as I didn't realise it got a release outside Europe.

Australia got it. Track banding on the second side is a bit in the wrong place, but still.
I've often wondered why the EP only charted in the UK? It is a really interesting release, very underrated.

Kes

Post by Kes »

The only place it had visuals would have been TOTP, so maybe that has a bearing.

Also, that was the year they did Cardiff Castle and Hyde Park.

action

Post by action »

what could have been queen's second EP?

my suggestion:
- my melancholy blues
- in only seven days
- need your loving tonight
- las palabras de amor

Young Music Fan

I personally would've picked one song each so...

A1: The Hero
A2: Need Your Loving Tonight
B1: Fun It
B2: My Melancholy Blues

The Hero could've been a single but perhaps it won't've been strong enough on it's own. I wouldn't call Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy commercial if it wasn't on an EP for example.

Young Music Fan

Also, if Queen and David Bowie hadn't released Under Pressure at the same time as Greatest Hits was released, perhaps Queen could've released an EP to support the album but the songs on it weren't on the album.

For example:

A1: Tie Your Mother Down
A2: Spread Your Wings
B1: Keep Yourself Alive
B2: Love Of My Life [Live Killers]

I reckon I'm In Love With My Car could've been included on this too as it was the B-Side of Bohemian Rhapsody. In some ways it was probably more famous than Play The Game or Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy.

Kes

Post by Kes »

action wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:34 pm what could have been queen's second EP?

my suggestion:
- my melancholy blues
- in only seven days
- need your loving tonight
- las palabras de amor
Las Palabras was a European single A side, as it was.

Good Apothecary Man

Post by Good Apothecary Man »

A very strong selection of songs (though an awful picture sleeve) — Death on Two Legs and White Queen are both in my all-time top five Queen songs. White Queen is second only to Brighton Rock on my list.

When I was researching the 1977 singles charts for something I was writing, I was intrigued by the EP's chart history in the UK. In those days at least, the singles charts behaved in quite a predictable way. DJs spoke of records ‘climbing’ the charts and then ‘peaking’ and ‘dropping’. Obviously the EP was released to coincide with the British dates on the European tour. The EP actually yo-yo-ed around quite a bit: 36 … 29 … 21 … 24 … 19 … 17 … 23 … 22 ... and then it suddenly dropped out of the top 50 at the beginning of August.

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

action wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:33 amyou could replace either brian, roger or john, and Queen could have continued in some capacity. Kind of like AC/DC.

you lose freddie, and it's game over.
Sold out world tours over the last few years and the abject failure of Mr. Bad Guy would suggest otherwise.

None of the members of Queen on their own were a patch on what they achieved as a band. You lose any one of them and the band suddenly would undoubtedly have become less.

action

Post by action »

Leigh Burne wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:17 pm
action wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:33 amyou could replace either brian, roger or john, and Queen could have continued in some capacity. Kind of like AC/DC.

you lose freddie, and it's game over.
Sold out world tours over the last few years and the abject failure of Mr. Bad Guy would suggest otherwise.

None of the members of Queen on their own were a patch on what they achieved as a band. You lose any one of them and the band suddenly would undoubtedly have become less.
they sold out world tours, with adam lambert.

if they tour with beyonce, I'm sure they'll also sell out tours

freddie, stole the show at live aid single handedly. the cameras barely noticed the other three.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Never lose sight of the fact that Queen's biggest strength was the four of them.