Info about B-Sides

Singles, B-sides, remixes, deep cuts and unreleased tracks
AdamUnger

Info about B-Sides

Post by AdamUnger »

Any information about Queen's B-sides is fairly scarce. The illustrated lyrics book has some insights as does the 2011 deluxe CD booklets, but other than that, there's really no information (that I could find anyway). I recently read an interview from Faces Magazine (thanks to the Royal Legend website) where Brian talks a bit about I Go Crazy. Brian also discussed See What A Fool I've Been on his website. Are there any other interviews where they discuss B-sides?

From Faces
"In fairness. I must say that all the others go through these strong feelings, as well. As it is a democracy, they don’t get their own way, either. With this last album, now. I wrote a single, you might call it one of my heavy indulgences. lt was very rough and raw, but I really liked the sound. The other three hated it so much they were ashamed to play it. So it wound up as the B-side on “Radio Ga Ga” which is good as it gives the fans a song they didn’t receive on the album, more for their money. But you see, it was kept off the album by the majority."

From BM.com
"A good thing just happened to me. Something which will enable me to give something back. (Good for my Karma!! !!!) Ever since we used to play "See What A Fool I've Been" in the early days of Queen, I knew that I had borrowed the idea for the song from a performance I had seen on TV - of a visiting Blues company, which I remembered included Big Bill Broonzy, and Muddy Waters, Matt Murphy, and others. I only heard the song once, and there were no recorders to hand in those days (at least not where I lived !) What I remembered was just a chord sequence and a couple of lines - I worked it up into a song, actually for "Smile" before Queen, and it was a way for me to pursue an idea of using huge dynamics in a bluesy song to make it cut across heavy... if you know what I mean ...it was one of the ingredients of the Dreams of Queen in the early days .... When it came around to doing the label for the song (we used a very rough take of it for an early B-side) I could only put for the composer credit: "Traditional - arr. May" because I didn't know who had done the song which had inspired me. I always said I would eventually find out who the missing author was and credit him.

Well, it was much harder than I had thought. I looked in all the places I could think of, and many people have tried to find the song since then, but without success. I was beginning to think I dreamed the whole thing. We're talking about 30 years ago or more. But this week I received a letter from Patrick Lemieux in Toronto, who had been corresponding with Greg Brooks, our archivist, with the news that he had found a track which matched up. It was a long search - the song had not appeared on any regular compilation, and Patrick had only found a clue when searching through lyrics on the Internet. The song was recorded only on one limited edition collection of the songs of Big Bill Broonzy and - SONNY TERRY and BROWNIE McGHEE. Under the title of "That's How I Feel" there it was. I finally received the copy Mr. Lemieux found for me this week .. and it IS the boy!!!! Big thanks to him! It's a thrill. The song is actually very moving, has a train of thought very impassioned and real, and sounds as fresh as the day it was put down. I got the timing a bit wrong really in my own rendition, but the format is pretty close. Now I can take steps to get in touch and give them the credit and the writing royalties too. I hope they are still around to enjoy them! I will keep yo'all posted!"

Good Apothecary Man

Re: Info about B-Sides

Post by Good Apothecary Man »

AdamUnger wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 2:31 pm I could only put for the composer credit: "Traditional - arr. May" because I didn't know who had done the song which had inspired me.
Just a couple of things about See What a Fool I've Been.

Don't ask me why but I gave away my vinyl collection, so I can't put my hand on my copy of the Seven Seas of Rhye single. I do have a childhood recollection of reading 'Trad. Arr. May' or some such wording, but that may have been in relation to God Save the Queen and not See What a Fool I've Been. When I googled for an image of the single, the credit just appears on the 45 as '(May)'. The Queen On Air and Live at the Rainbow box sets also have the credit as '(May)'. I appreciate that 'composer credit', the words Brian uses, may be something slightly different, perhaps specifically to do with royalties. Does anybody know?

Second, is it my imagination or does the opening guitar bring to mind Dreamer's Ball (with or without the apostrophe), especially the chord sequence at roughly 0:14?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSVCOdY0Gdw

WeeMann

Post by WeeMann »

Good Apothecary Man wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:10 am
Second, is it my imagination or does the opening guitar bring to mind Dreamer's Ball (with or without the apostrophe), especially the chord sequence at roughly 0:14?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSVCOdY0Gdw
That's just a standard blues turnaround, so yes, it's pretty much the same. I could play you a hundred blues classics that use that bit.

WeeMann

Post by WeeMann »

Any idea whether Brian actually made contact with the original writers?

Generic username

Post by Generic username »

I just checked the original 7", and there's no "trad" involved. Ditto the "complete works" sheet music book from about '86,the 3" CD from '88, the Hollywood Queen 2 cd from '91

Kes

Post by Kes »

He used (Trad. Arr. May) on his version of God Save The Queen, but not On European copies of SWAFIB.

Apparently, if you dig deep enough, someone called John Bull "might" have come up with the original melody for GSTQ.

So, maybe Brian has got what was written on what label a little mixed up. I mean he has MUCH bigger fish to fry than silly things like that. Oh, I don't know, is he a pescatarian?

MyHumanZoo

Post by MyHumanZoo »

I had asked this question about b sides maybe a year or two ago on this site before it went down, there was a ton of good info supplied on it. It’s a pity that was lost! I think it started because I love “I Go Crazy” and wondered how it got to be a b side but was never on an album.