The James Bond rumor topic

Singles, B-sides, remixes, deep cuts and unreleased tracks
Mona Lisa

The James Bond rumor topic

Post by Mona Lisa »

Hi all,
I remember that in the old forum there was a recent talk about a mysterious James Bond song. Someone, or several people, once heard or read that Brian (or was it Queen?) had written a song for a James Bond movie.
As I remember, I think we had no proof of such interview.
So I created this topic to discuss about it :)
Was it during the Queen era? Or a Brian solo song afterwards?
Often, people guessed about Was it all worth it.
Now that the Miracle box set is coming, maybe we'll know more about that song, and maybe we'll hear about this rumour.

I don't know if someone already tried to mix the two songs :p the beginning of the Golden Eye song could be melted into a faster version of Was it all worth it .... (if you think it's all worth it, I would love to hear that :p )

Generic username

Re: The James Bond rumor topic

Post by Generic username »

In these situations, I prefer to start with the source, and other than a quite from Brian saying " they never asked and they should have", I can't find anything.

That doesn't mean that they didn't submit songs which got rejected, but it does, in my view, point in that direction.

So, while "people on forums" are interesting to talk to, they're not a reliable source of facts!

My opinion is that if Brian had submitted a song, it would be a solo song - if Queen had submitted a song, THAT would be the story. Given the Another World album is virtually a compilation of ideas from other media (Business is from TV, title track was for Sliding Doors, Cyborg from a video game, etc), then that's where I'd be looking for a rejected Bond theme.

Sir Didymus

Post by Sir Didymus »

I believe the rumour originated from a member of a-Ha saying that they'd been chosen over bands like Queen, who had also submitted a song. This pegs it squarely in 1986/87-ish for The Living Daylights... which is why people then turned to "Was It All Worth It" as a possible candidate as the most Bond-Theme like song to feature on a post-86 album.

Years ago, on my long since defunct and inaccessible YouTube channel, I made this...

Now, "Generic username" raises a point... if Brian had submitted a song circa Another World, he'd be one of the many, many, names who submitted a song for Tomorrow Never Dies. IIRC, the likes of Pulp, Space, David McAlmont, Marc Almond and St Etienne were all turned down in favour of kd Lang, whose song was then relegated to the end credits in place of Sheryl Crow... there were probably countless others in the mix for that one too.

Mona Lisa

Post by Mona Lisa »

Thanks for the answers, and now I remember that you talked about a-Ha on the old forum!