Background story of Hangman

Singles, B-sides, remixes, deep cuts and unreleased tracks
The Invisible Fan

Background story of Hangman

Post by The Invisible Fan »

Hi! Since I’ve been downloading and fooling around with Queen bootlegs, I came across Hangman! It’s a great rock song, totally alike Queens first two albums. I don’t know the background, I suppose it’s a live-only song, and it appears to have only been performed in China and/or Japan. What do you know?

WeeMann

Re: Background story of Hangman

Post by WeeMann »

My first stop is always Queenpedia:

https://www.queenpedia.com/index.php?title=Hangman

Old Man

Post by Old Man »

In the 70s and 80s, when bootlegs were ultra rare, "Hangman" was always a kind of holy grail for collectors, a highly mysterious song. Some bootlegs listed it as two songs, labelling the second half as "Shag out".

From today's point of view it is just one of their earliest songs, which they soon dropped, when they had better material. And I can imagine them having fun, when they re-discovered it in Japan, where they suddenly felt the big success for the first time.

I think the lyrics are not really good. Maybe they felt the same and forgot about the song. Queen were also often compared to Led Zeppelin then, who had a song called "Gallows pole" with the line "Hangman, hangman, hold it a little while". And maybe "Queen" wanted to avoid any comparison with "Hangman, hangman, waiting for me", as the Zep song is definitely stronger.

Anyway, it's a nice piece of Queen history.

Generic username

Post by Generic username »

China??????