Background story of Hangman

Singles, B-sides, remixes, deep cuts and unreleased tracks
Kes

Re: Background story of Hangman

Post by Kes »

Not wanting to take sides, as I've heard both.

The impartial story behind Freddie's early recordings, go that John S. Stuart had an original cassette tape of these performances. He commented about it on QZ, or somewhere similar, and Greg got in contact. This original cassette was sent to Greg, who forwarded it on to EMI, for transcription to make a proper digital copy.

So the story goes, neither Greg nor John ever got the cassette back, and left EMI claiming "it 'should' have been sent back". Needless to say, everyone got a little bit upset, and I don't think the acrimony was ever forgotten.

If THAT was the case, it's fair to conclude that Mr Stuart would have been a little more "Once bitten, twice shy" guarded about having to prove himself again, about anything.

The Kurgan

Post by The Kurgan »

Listen to what Roger has to say on the subject of a studio recording here (around the 1 minute mark).

Kes

Post by Kes »

I think it's fair to say that before the band became active in trawling for their original master tapes, acetates, and things like that, they'd already built a big following, and anything that was able to go out the back door, sometimes did, into the possession of avid collectors. The band and studios gave stuff away, people that worked in the studio nicked and sold stuff, other stuff went in the skip. There's a number of ways things have escaped.

John S. Stuart was an avid collector of such memorabilia. Probably not the only one, either.

Who owns what? The 64 million dollar question, but the saying goes "Possession is nine tenths of the law".

Kes

Post by Kes »

I've got stuff that says "Demo record. Not for resale", that I've bought fair and square, where do you draw the line?

Jobe

Post by Jobe »

Its a shame that we can no longer prove the veracity of the claim. I would love to hear a studio version of Hangman, if it exists. For me, it would be the Holy Grail of lost Queen items. Its quite odd that they played this song for a number of years but never went back to it in the studio. Someone must remember something definitive.

Generic username

Post by Generic username »

I'm sure I've seen acetates for songs that weren't singles. Wouldn't it be credible to press a mix of a song to listen back to?

Kes

Post by Kes »

I'd be positive that you've seen them.

At the Stormtroopers In Stillettoes exhibition I seem to remember seeing a 10" Trident acetate of selected Queen II tracks, and I don't remember any of those tracks being Seven Seas Of Rhye, the album's single.

MichaelAllred76

Post by MichaelAllred76 »

1) having played "Hangman" live many times, I would find it unusual that they thought so little of it as to never record it in some fashion even in demo form.
2) Roger said in the above audio clip that he believes it exists in some form
3) just because a studio recording hasn't been found in the Queen archives doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Perhaps people should be asking the producers, mixers, etc who worked with Queen around that time frame.
4) people should also be asking of Queen and Greg Brooks that if they don't have a studio recording of "Hangman" then do they have a proper live recording because frankly I'd be more than happy with an official live recording than nothing at all
5) since the fan/collector who claimed to own the acetate recording of "Hangman" passed away, surely the person(s) handling his estate would know what he left behind especially considering how valuable such a thing would be if real.

Peace Loving Guy

Post by Peace Loving Guy »

It’s quite possible that the circumstances of the song being recorded were very informal, which has resulted in the wonderfully murky and mysterious myth of its existence. For instance, the band could’ve just jammed to it one day in the studio whilst the tape was rolling and it just got forgotten about.

Think about the Bowie Under Pressure sessions. We learn more snippets about the existence of way more music that was probably recorded than previously assumed, with them just jamming away trying stuff out.

It should also be stated about the John S Stuart QZ thread, (that presumably is still floating around out there somewhere), I seem to recall he made it clear that if someone in the band (ie Brian) got in touch with him directly, they could have the acetate. He would just not hand it over to an intermediary because he would never trust any of them again.

PTRACER

Post by PTRACER »

I didn't realise John S Stuart had died. I guess that is the problem with being a hoarder of rare stuff that you talk about but never share. You die, you can't take it with you, and then everyone else is deprived of it too.