‘Lost Opportunity’

Singles, B-sides, remixes, deep cuts and unreleased tracks
robdeighton

‘Lost Opportunity’

Post by robdeighton »

What’s your thought on this track released as a b-side from the ‘Innuendo’ period?

It’s almost like a long-lost brother to ‘See What A Fool I’ve Been’ and quite rare that it has a full Brian vocal at this point in Queen’s career (was a Freddie vocal even considered I wonder).

I can understand why it doesn’t fit on ‘Innuendo’ but it’s totally different to what the band was doing at the time.

MyHumanZoo

Re: ‘Lost Opportunity’

Post by MyHumanZoo »

Great song...it’s a partner to See What a Fool I’ve Been, but I like Lost Opportunity much better. Brian’s voice suits a blues song much better than Freddie’s does, in my opinion. This song is a true mood, It makes me want sit back with a cocktail and a cigar and just chill!

Good Apothecary Man

Post by Good Apothecary Man »

I am struggling to connect it to See What a Fool I've Been, but maybe that's because I am not a blues fan and Brian's awesome guitars on See What a Fool put it in the hard rock category for me.

Lost Opportunity's nearest relation is surely Nothin' But Blue, which was presumably written at the same sort of time. Pure speculation on my part but Brian may (no pun intended) have kept one for his solo album and 'given' the other to Queen — similar in that sense to Roger's Hijack My Heart which sounds like it comes from the Shove It sessions.

As I say, I don't like slow, mournful blues so Lost Opportunity comes very low in my ranking of Queen songs. An interesting non-album b-side (see the separate discussion of b-sides in the recent Jazz thread).

Kes

Post by Kes »

I think it's fair to say that the older I've got, the more I appreciate stuff in the blues genre. Generally, it's taking music back to it's basics, isn't too busy, and lets a group of musicians fall into a fairly predictable chord structure, that allows a guitarist to fall easier into soloing within defined scales they can choose what notes they're going to play.

Brian seems to feel comfortable writing in this genre, SWAFIB, Let Me Out, Lost Opportunity, Sleeping On The Sidewalk, to name a few.

Dali

Post by Dali »

Kes wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:35 pm I think it's fair to say that the older I've got, the more I appreciate stuff in the blues genre. Generally, it's taking music back to it's basics, isn't too busy, and lets a group of musicians fall into a fairly predictable chord structure, that allows a guitarist to fall easier into soloing within defined scales they can choose what notes they're going to play.

Brian seems to feel comfortable writing in this genre, SWAFIB, Let Me Out, Lost Opportunity, Sleeping On The Sidewalk, to name a few.
Teasin' Around? ;)

I know he didn't write it, but holy hell, it's awesome!

V.

runner70

Post by runner70 »

Reminds me more of Soul Brother than SWAFIB