too much love will kill you credits

Singles, B-sides, remixes, deep cuts and unreleased tracks
dave4343palace

Re: too much love will kill you credits

Post by dave4343palace »

Generic username wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:16 pm
Kes wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:48 am I think the comment was made between recording Innuendo and his last sessions in the studio.
..agreed, and even then it wasn't entirely adhered to if the New Dark Ages story is to be believed.
I’m intrigued... what’s the New Dark Ages rumour??

Kes

Post by Kes »

Roger played the band a demo, and on hearing the lyrics, John Deacon allegedly is quoted as saying "If we make Freddie sing that, I'm out of here now!" He was supposedly not a happy bunny. I think he thought it was a little too close to Freddie's predicament.

A bit weird because there were other things floating around at the time like Too Much Love Will Kill You, and My Life Has Been Saved, that you might say sort of could be interpreted to have touched on Freddie's illness.

The first wonder when you hear stories like this one, is where they come from. I first heard this from a Brummie record trader, also a big Queen fan, who said he got it first hand from Roger while Blue Rock was a current release, so "sort" of around the time Freddie died. It's not neccessarily guaranteed truth, but then it's more than a rumour.

Around that time, i heard the rumour from different sources, but they all seemed to lead back to Roger. Maybe he was asked because it was a good song written around the time of the Innuendo album, why it wasn't a Queen song.

WeeMann

Post by WeeMann »

I was just listening to Radio 2's Rock Show from the weekend and they played a song by a band called World Goes Round, including members Frank Musker and Elizabeth Lamers. In this case it's a track off an album they released in October, but recorded in 1989 then lost (apparently the released version was mastered from a cassette that they found recently). The track I heard, Around The World, is certainly a very 80s track.

If anyone's interested, in searching further I've found an interview with Frank:

Kes

Post by Kes »

Thanks for that, Weemann, very educational.

Cmsdrums

Post by Cmsdrums »

robdeighton wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:51 pm
Kes wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:26 pm
Because of the fact it had writers outside of Queen, I think was the reason it was not progressed beyond demo state for The Miracle.
I’m a little confused by this as there is picture of the master tape showing TMLWKY as a finished track only to be removed at the last minute due to publishing issues... so it certainly went further than the demo stage - I’ve also read somewhere that the version on MiH was the same version as the one that was supposed to be on ‘The Miracle’ and had very little work done on it 1993-95 by Brian, Roger & John

My understanding is you are correct, and TMLWKY was progressed to a finished stage and not left in demo form. It is also apparently the same version on ‘Made In Heaven’ with no change in performance or mix. (I haven’t heard the demo but this is what I have read from many that have directly compared the two).

Kes

Post by Kes »

The version with Freddie singing, came out on bootlegs well before MIH, and was quite likely an edited version of what was finally released on MIH.

I know that was listed as a demo, even if was the final mix. You can't really trust listings on bootlegs, that's for sure.

Since then, I've heard several versions, including earlier ones with Brian, and Elizabeth Lamers singing.

robdeighton

Post by robdeighton »

Kes wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:46 pm The version with Freddie singing, came out on bootlegs well before MIH, and was quite likely an edited version of what was finally released on MIH.

I know that was listed as a demo, even if was the final mix. You can't really trust listings on bootlegs, that's for sure.

Since then, I've heard several versions, including earlier ones with Brian, and Elizabeth Lamers singing.
Here is a picture of the final tape - clearly showing TMLWKY but not to include it

runner70

Post by runner70 »

Kes wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:26 pm Think Frank Musker had written a song that was used on Anita Dobson's Talking Of Love album, and trawling around the internet, a few years back, there was a version of the song with Elizabeth Lamers on the vocals.

Because of the fact it had writers outside of Queen, I think was the reason it was not progressed beyond demo state for The Miracle. The first I ever heard of it's existence, was just before the tribute concert, as Hollywood were putting bonus tracks on their new Queen releases, and had it pencilled in as a bonus track for Wembley '86. Then Brian performed the song with Spike Edney accompanying him, at the tribute gig. That was the first time I heard the actual song.
It was completely finished by the time The Miracle was recorded. And it even was on a promo sampler I suppose. See the new RC special in the MIH Review - the only song that already was completely done and did not need any extra work

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

One thing I know about Musker is he's written lyrics for the English versions of a bunch of Zucchero's songs, who of course sang at the Freddie Tribute gig.