too much love will kill you credits

Singles, B-sides, remixes, deep cuts and unreleased tracks
action

too much love will kill you credits

Post by action »

what's with the co-authorship of brian with some mysterious co-writers leading to all sorts of royalty issues?

what's the story behind the creation of this song, and why the need for co-writers?

Kes

Re: too much love will kill you credits

Post by Kes »

Think Frank Musker had written a song that was used on Anita Dobson's Talking Of Love album, and trawling around the internet, a few years back, there was a version of the song with Elizabeth Lamers on the vocals.

Because of the fact it had writers outside of Queen, I think was the reason it was not progressed beyond demo state for The Miracle. The first I ever heard of it's existence, was just before the tribute concert, as Hollywood were putting bonus tracks on their new Queen releases, and had it pencilled in as a bonus track for Wembley '86. Then Brian performed the song with Spike Edney accompanying him, at the tribute gig. That was the first time I heard the actual song.

action

Post by action »

Kes wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:26 pm Think Frank Musker had written a song that was used on Anita Dobson's Talking Of Love album, and trawling around the internet, a few years back, there was a version of the song with Elizabeth Lamers on the vocals.

Because of the fact it had writers outside of Queen, I think was the reason it was not progressed beyond demo state for The Miracle. The first I ever heard of it's existence, was just before the tribute concert, as Hollywood were putting bonus tracks on their new Queen releases, and had it pencilled in as a bonus track for Wembley '86. Then Brian performed the song with Spike Edney accompanying him, at the tribute gig. That was the first time I heard the actual song.
it's such a curious song, an unicum in the Queen catalogue, where they used outside writers to compose a song.

Kes

Post by Kes »

I think most of The Miracle was written in the studio. Brian definitely brought in a few bits that he'd done a lot of work on before, like TMLWKY and I Want It All. I'm really not sure he intended it as a Queen song, but it was something he had floating around at the time, the same way Freddie had Cairo By Night floating around, that he'd written with Mike Moran.

As I said, Brian liaised with a few writers while doing Anita's album.

action

Post by action »

Kes wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:04 pm I think most of The Miracle was written in the studio. Brian definitely brought in a few bits that he'd done a lot of work on before, like TMLWKY and I Want It All. I'm really not sure he intended it as a Queen song, but it was something he had floating around at the time, the same way Freddie had Cairo By Night floating around, that he'd written with Mike Moran.

As I said, Brian liaised with a few writers while doing Anita's album.
it reveals a certain sense of urgence.

"bring me anything, and I'll sing it".

therefore I think this was said in somewhere around the preparations for the miracle album

Kes

Post by Kes »

I think the comment was made between recording Innuendo and his last sessions in the studio.

Generic username

Post by Generic username »

Kes wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:48 am I think the comment was made between recording Innuendo and his last sessions in the studio.
..agreed, and even then it wasn't entirely adhered to if the New Dark Ages story is to be believed.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Not sure where the Deacon refusing to do the song rumour came from, but I heard that from a lot of places, at the time. It certainly contains the melody from Days of Our Lives hummed by Roger.

robdeighton

Post by robdeighton »

Kes wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:26 pm
Because of the fact it had writers outside of Queen, I think was the reason it was not progressed beyond demo state for The Miracle.
I’m a little confused by this as there is picture of the master tape showing TMLWKY as a finished track only to be removed at the last minute due to publishing issues... so it certainly went further than the demo stage - I’ve also read somewhere that the version on MiH was the same version as the one that was supposed to be on ‘The Miracle’ and had very little work done on it 1993-95 by Brian, Roger & John

Kes

Post by Kes »

It was out on bootleg form, fairly soon after, or around the time Freddie died. So, it probably was in the same state as all those Miracle other takes that came out then.