Radio Ga Ga single edit

Singles, B-sides, remixes, deep cuts and unreleased tracks
Kes

Re: Radio Ga Ga single edit

Post by Kes »

Me, important? Not on your nelly.

There's certain parts of music law, that I've got to learn over the years, purely by reading up on it. At the end of the day, I'm an observer, giving my observations. You either agree because it might make sense, or disagree for any one of a number of reasons. Whichever it is, I don't really mind.

Some might argue that Moroder's writing credit on Love Kills, is in the same ball park as the Elvis Presley writing credit on Love Me Tender, but that's a different point of discussion. Personally, I don't think Moroder contributed THAT much particularly to either the melody, or lyrics of the song, certainly not enough to claim a 50% responsibility for writing it. He was however behind the musical reproduction of the film, that Queen wanted to use images from. So they came to an arrangement.

Why the Teachers version is different to the MBG version. Any number of reasons, really. Between the two versions being released, Freddie might just have wanted to make ammendments to the song. There are a few occasions where this has happened with Queen songs, and slightly different versions have appeared between single, and later album versions, Save Me being one such instance. A Kind Of Magic, another. Nothing to do with contracts, more to do with development, and building a better bear..

Kes

Re: Radio Ga Ga single edit

Post by Kes »

As regards contracts, and Queen. I probably know a bit more than the average fan, as I read up on things like registrations to Companies House, and returns made by companies.

When Freddie was alive, he used to get hundreds of letters from around the world, every day, and a lot of them contained cheques of various denominations. £20 for radio plays of his songs in Venezuela, £500 for record sales in Hong Kong. All individual cheques originating from individual countries for different things to do with the music he wrote, performed, or owned. Some went through Queen's books, some went through his own companies' books.

How do I know this? I've asked and talked to people who DO know. People who opened his post for him, filed and banked the cheques. Went down the off licence and bought his vodka for him.

No, I'm not important, but I'm not a completely ignorant c-nut either. Like many here, I've followed this band, pretty much as long as they've been going, depending on how intently the word "follow" means, depends on the scope of knowledge you gain and accumulate on the journey.

I impart what I know solely for the benefit of others. I have absolutely no reason to big myself up, or for that matter, try to make others look less than they feel they are. You're a clever man, make up your own mind.