Radio Ga Ga single edit

Singles, B-sides, remixes, deep cuts and unreleased tracks
Tero

Radio Ga Ga single edit

Post by Tero »

Digitizing my vinyl collection I stumbled upon this US edit I'd forgotten I have... :lol:

I quite like this version with only a short intro, and the whole bridge omitted.

Are there other songs with (good) edits I should know? :?:

Generic username

Re: Radio Ga Ga single edit

Post by Generic username »

The radio edit of John Cale's 4:33 is much punchier, really so much more listenable.

Always wondered whether there was a slight remix as well though, so it might not qualify...

Kes

Post by Kes »

Some songs were never meant to be edited, they only had them done, so US radio DJs didn't use them as frisbees out of the station's studio windows, instead of playing them.

Bruceymc

Post by Bruceymc »

Virgin radio in the U.K. always play an edited version of Radio GaGa that cuts out the drum solo bit near the end. Always catches me out

Tero

Post by Tero »

I re-discovered another alternate version while digging through my collection.

For some reason the version of Foolin' Around on the Teachers soundtrack fades out about five seconds later than the usual album version. I wonder if there is some particular reason to this?

BitterTears

Post by BitterTears »

Tero wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:01 pm I re-discovered another alternate version while digging through my collection.

For some reason the version of Foolin' Around on the Teachers soundtrack fades out about five seconds later than the usual album version. I wonder if there is some particular reason to this?
According to QueenVault, that soundtrack album came out before Mr Bad Guy (so the 'final' MGB mix was just a slightly later, tighter version) and at one point was planned as a single to promote the film.

Generic username

Post by Generic username »

Indeed, Teachers soundtrack was about Oct 84, I think.

Although it always sounded to be like the fade out was in the same place, but there were a few bars left in to that version that were then taken out for MBG

Tero

Post by Tero »

If there's no logical reason for it, it must be because of money :lol:

I would guess that EMI had the rights to publish the earlier version, so it had to be "significantly altered" so it could be released on Mr. Bad Guy

Kes

Post by Kes »

No, I don't think so. At the time, only Queen were signed to EMI. Freddie would have naturally gravitated towards EMI, as the band were signed to manufacture, distribute and market through them. The song itself was owned by Freddie, who at that time would have traded through the band's production companies, Raincloud (for stuff recorded outside of the UK) and Queen Productions (for stuff recorded in the UK). Two companies - one set of tax reasons.

The story goes that while Freddie was getting a record deal for MBG, he approached EMI, and they suggested using the tag line "Freddie Mercury, lead singer of Queen". Mention of the Q word on advertising, made his blood boil, and as far as he was concerned EMI had cooked their goose. That's when Jim Beach approached other majors for a possible deal.

As time progressed, Freddie set up a number of limited companies to handle his solo stuff, both production, and management, although Jim Beach would manage those companies. Mighty Tape, Goose, Mercury Songs, etc

Fooling Around was no more "owned" by EMI-Capitol, than Love Kills was "owned" by CBS. The songs in the form they were in, were licensed to the respective labels for specific usage, and specific time frames, by one-off contracts. The fact that Love Kills came out on the same label MBG came out on, is actually sheer coincidence.

Tero

Post by Tero »

Do you actually have inside information on the contracts, Kes, or are you just trying to sound more important than you are? :)

We know that Foolin' Around was shortened by some 5 seconds between the release on the Teachers soundtrack and the Mr. Bad Guy Album.
The song wasn't touched otherwise, and the only reasons for the difference that I can think of are a) contract and b) damage to the master tape
What's your theory?

The fact that Love Kills was on another label has no significance, and it's a completely different matter being co-written my Moroder.
It would naturally be on his soundtrack label, and he would be more than happy to have it racking up money on any posthumous Freddie release.