Bohemian Rhapsody song thread.

Singles, B-sides, remixes, deep cuts and unreleased tracks
Black Wings

Bohemian Rhapsody song thread.

Post by Black Wings »

Like it, love or hate it? What was your first reactions hearing it? Do you think the song deserves all the recognition / accolades it has? Has anything you about it? Any more thoughts, I'm sure I will have more.

I love the song, it's my favorite song by Queen or any other artist.
I first heard it in 1992. Even then, my first thought was some of the lyrics I really identified with, and it wasn't like a typical song, so I pretty much loved it from the first time I heard it.
Actually, I do think it deserves all the recognition and accolades it has. To this day I've not heard anything even close to such a powerhouse of a song.
Your thoughts?

Nicki

Re: Bohemian Rhapsody song thread.

Post by Nicki »

By now I somehow like BoRhap and recognize that weird piece of music as something special.

My story: I knew many of the Greatest Hits from the radio in my youth (in the 80s and 90s in Berlin). I haven’t been a big music enthusiast, I was much more into sports in my youth. Then I bought the Platinum Edition (2001?), my first Queen CDs. I listened to all the songs and wondered about the weird title of „Bohemian Rhapsody“ :oops: :lol:
I thought I didn‘t know it, but realized that I had heard the „Galileos“ before. :D
However, it isn’t and has never been one of my favorites.

My impression is, that it is less of a hit in Germany than in many other countries. Or is that just my impression, because BoRhap came out as a single long before I was born and I therefore missed it being played on the radio?

Cool Cat

Post by Cool Cat »

I first heard it on the radio back in '75 like all of my generation, and thought ' what the hell is this ' , but I couldn't stop listening, after a couple more listens on radio I went and bought it along with ELO's Evil Woman, and over the years I've never got fed up of hearing it, and a couple of years later when I started to attend their live shows I always looked forward to rock section of the show where they appear back on stage with a bang, lights and thunder flashes. :D

Young Music Fan

Post by Young Music Fan »

It's the greatest song ever written, not my absolute favourite, others I prefer.

I love the fact that Queen rehearsed the song for a couple of weeks just a mile from where I live!

Frank

Post by Frank »

If I recall (and I could be mistaken), Bohemian Rhapsody was the third Queen song to reach my ears. I was first exposed to Rock You/Champions and then a few days later I heard Bo Rhap. This was back in July of 2003, which makes me a really young Queen fan compared to most of you. I was impressed by the former pair but when my friends told me the same band did Bo Rhap too I was instantly hooked and that evening I rushed out to buy my first album. But honestly, I was so overtaken by ALL of their hits that Bohemian Rhapsody wasn't THAT special to me. Don't get me wrong, I loved it, but there was so much hitting me all at once. I was simply basking in all their glory, and it wasn't until watching documentaries that I began to fully understand and appreciate the importance and absolute brilliance of Bo Rhap. But I still don't think I count it in my top 10 fav Queen songs.

Cool Cat

Post by Cool Cat »

I always find it amazing that even today Queen still appeal to young music fans, I once knew a girl from Ukraine who said she had never heard of Queen until 2005/6 when she heard The Show Must Go On playing on radio, and she was hooked, just shows the power of their music. :D

carolb57

Post by carolb57 »

About the Bohemian Rhapsody music video:

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/queen-bo ... ody-video/

TheMiracleMan

Post by TheMiracleMan »

I remember the first time I heard this song on one of the local radio stations in my city .. If my memory serves me, then the opera part was playbacked twice by mistake. I like this song. I think this song is completely unique, magical. Lovers of interpretations of the meaning of songs disassembled this masterpiece into atoms.

Mona Lisa

Post by Mona Lisa »

I like it mostly for the first part.
I would love to hear Freddie singing it in the studio after 1986.
I'm sure he must have played it for himself.
As much as it would be great to hear how was the "cowboy-song" before it was called Bohemian Rhapsody.

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

"Bo Rhap" is by no means my favourite Queen song but you'd be hard pressed not to call it their masterpiece.