Bohemian Rhapsody song thread.

Singles, B-sides, remixes, deep cuts and unreleased tracks
TheMiracleMan

Re: Bohemian Rhapsody song thread.

Post by TheMiracleMan »

Leigh Burne wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:05 am "Bo Rhap" is by no means my favourite Queen song but you'd be hard pressed not to call it their masterpiece.

I have moments that I don't like Brian's songs, especially when he sings them, or Roger.
Honestly, before, and I still don't understand the song, I'm in love with my car.

TheMiracleMan

Post by TheMiracleMan »

Sorry guys and gals but I still do not understand why Bohemian Rhapsody uses as Freddie's coming out.

Old Man

Post by Old Man »

Nicki wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:09 pm My impression is, that it is less of a hit in Germany than in many other countries. Or is that just my impression, because BoRhap came out as a single long before I was born and I therefore missed it being played on the radio?
It was a No 7 hit in February 1976 and stayed in the charts for 30 weeks, they later received a gold disc for reaching 500.000 copies. Something that is out of reach for today's acts. Most people instead bought the album.

What people forget about the song these days is the technical side and it's importance for creating it.
Especially younger fans nowadays only try to find a meaning in the lyrics and maybe how Freddie created the opera section in his fantasy.

In fact 6 or 7 years earlier he could never have recorded that opera section. The 70s were a time when studio-technology exploded. In the sixties they had four track and eight track recording machines. Now they had 24 tracks and even more, which allowed all these experiments. Other bands like 10cc came at the same time with "I'm not in Love", soundwise equally impressive. And also never heard before.
With today's digital technology and sampling it's easy to create those sounds even in your living room.
But then it was a revolution in sound. "And nobody played synthesizer" was an important trademark for Queen in the 70s, cause Brian May's guitar orchestrations were unique and new. Younger fans may ask, what is so special to imitate the sound of a dixie trombone orchestra with a guitar..... I tell you, it was exciting then, cause playing guitar was extremely popular. Guitar players were not only heroes, they were seen as "gods" like Clapton. People complaining today "Without Freddie no Queen" should be aware, that there is also "Without Brian no Queen".

So the technical explosion led to songs like "Black Queen" and "Rhapsody", the lyrics were just created to have something to sing, that sounds good......there is no deeper meaning.

Old Man

Post by Old Man »

The younger fans may not know this.
Produced by Brian May who also played guitar.....

TheMiracleMan

Post by TheMiracleMan »

Old Man wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:54 pm The younger fans may not know this.
Produced by Brian May who also played guitar.....

The dumbest cover I've ever seen. But the most shameful thing is that the badger-eater took part in this

Old Man

Post by Old Man »

TheMiracleMan wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:57 am The dumbest cover I've ever seen. But the most shameful thing is that the badger-eater took part in this
This was part of some british comedy show of the eighties and was considered as extremely funny then. There was no internet and those "shredding" videos of famous artists dubbed with "out of tune" performances were not invented so far. Also Brian May's input was not seen as shameful at all. He was applauded for making fun of himself. Only Freddie reportedly was "not amused"....but he did not reject the "royal"ties.....