Queen + Paul Rodgers!

Queen tours, one-off shows, bootlegs, merchandise
Dali

Re: Queen + Paul Rodgers!

Post by Dali »

Old Man wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:13 amThe same album might have worked better the other way around. Labeling it "RTM", people might have said, it's a great rockalbum and it sometimes even has some "Queen-moments".... ;)
That's why I referred to the band as QPR. It's not Queen, not in the same way, nor could it ever be. And that's okay. But messers May and Taylor have earned the right to refer to themselves any which way they want.

V.

Dali

Post by Dali »

Strangely enough, today is the 16th anniversary of my first Queen (QPR) concert. There I was in Budapest, all of 24, finally getting to see my heroes play live. According to one former member of this board, if I had been any closer to the stage, I would have been standing on Brian May's shoes :lol:

After the show I had the once in a lifetime (for me, anyway) to meet Roger Taylor in person, to ask him to come play in my country and to get his autograph on my country's flag. They finally came to my country, 11 years later, but with the wrong singer. I didn't go to that concert.
Last edited by Dali on Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

runner70

Post by runner70 »

Hard to believe it has been so long. I was at the first COncert at Brixton Academy - won the ticket lottery of the fanclub

eiricd

Post by eiricd »

seems like a life time ago

2005-2008 will stand as 3 of the best years I've had as a Queen fan.
Looking back on it now, the output was immense

3 live dvds / albums, 1 studio album, the official live downloads and blank cds...

How I wish they'd open the archives and make audio available, and at least re-release Sheffield on blu ray to make it look as good as it possibly can

Dali

Post by Dali »

eiricd wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:01 amHow I wish they'd open the archives and make audio available, and at least re-release Sheffield on blu ray to make it look as good as it possibly can
Don't you see? QPL are trying their very best to erase the whole QPR era from existence...

eiricd

Post by eiricd »

Dali wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:41 pm
eiricd wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:01 amHow I wish they'd open the archives and make audio available, and at least re-release Sheffield on blu ray to make it look as good as it possibly can
Don't you see? QPL are trying their very best to erase the whole QPR era from existence...

that's true, and very sad.

3 years, 3 live albums, 1 studio album. Summed up by Roger in the Days our Lives doc with;

"..and then we did the Paul Rodgers tour. which was great"

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

Queen + Paul Rodgers was the first really big gig I ever went too, in Hyde Park.

Was a pre-existing fan of Paul's work (especially Bad Company) so it was blast seeing him singing with my favourite band of all time, and I loved that they slipped in a few of his songs into the setlist as well. Got within a few feet of the end of the runway and got some great snaps of Paul, Brian and Roger down the end there.

To this day I love Q+PR's Return of the Champions album. The Cosmos Rocks may have been a huge disappointment (outside of maybe "Say It's Not True", which I still really rate) but as a live outfit I thought they were excellent.

I certainly feel like Paul had far more credibility than Adam, not that I've got anything against Adam.

eiricd

Post by eiricd »

Leigh Burne wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:03 am Queen + Paul Rodgers was the first really big gig I ever went too, in Hyde Park.

Was a pre-existing fan of Paul's work (especially Bad Company) so it was blast seeing him singing with my favourite band of all time, and I loved that they slipped in a few of his songs into the setlist as well. Got within a few feet of the end of the runway and got some great snaps of Paul, Brian and Roger down the end there.

To this day I love Q+PR's Return of the Champions album. The Cosmos Rocks may have been a huge disappointment (outside of maybe "Say It's Not True", which I still really rate) but as a live outfit I thought they were excellent.

I certainly feel like Paul had far more credibility than Adam, not that I've got anything against Adam.
by all acounts, and the Imagine footage on ROTC, the Hyde Park gig was a highlight. A shame they didn't put out the whole thing.
The BoRhap digital release thing, which showed footage from the gig, also had some nice shots

PR was a legend before Queen had a record deal, so the balance between Q-PR was something completely different from day 1.
lambert could be their grandson, and whether they admit it or not, his persona is often very Freddie-like. IF that's what you want in a Queen + setting, that's fine.
To me, that makes the whole thing a cross between cabaret / tribute act. Add to the fact that BM/RT made a point in EVERY single interview from 2005-2008 that they didn't want a Freddie-like person doing the job, that makes the whole lambet era even more....I don't even know what word to use...