carolb57

Queen in Cleveland, Ohio — 1975, 1977, 1978

Post by carolb57 »

Great photos by rock photographer Janet Macoska

http://www.cleveland.com/life-and-cultu ... -in-c.html

Buckeye Randy

Re: Queen in Cleveland, Ohio — 1975, 1977, 1978

Post by Buckeye Randy »

Thanks for the post, I was at two of those shows.

Good times!

Here is another article I found...
https://news.1xrun.com/janet-macoska-ca ... -editions/

carolb57

Post by carolb57 »

Buckeye Randy wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:04 am Thanks for the post, I was at two of those shows.

Good times!

Here is another article I found...
https://news.1xrun.com/janet-macoska-ca ... -editions/
You’re welcome! I regret never seeing Freddie and John live in the original band, but have loved every minute of the 4 live shows I have seen in 2014, 2017 and 2019.

Old Man

Post by Old Man »

carolb57 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:00 am I regret never seeing Freddie and John live in the original band, but have loved every minute of the 4 live shows I have seen in 2014, 2017 and 2019.
If you could have seen the original band, you probably would not have "seen" John..... All Queen shows were focussed on Freddie and Brian, sometimes Roger. John never said a word, never connected with the audience and also he rarely connected with the band. There was no eye contact or any exchange of smiles and gestures etc. When you see videos today, you get to see more of him, than you would notice while really being there. You can compare it to their current bass player. Did you notice him? I guess not - and so was John.

And also very strange: Freddie's "presence" in the QPR and QAL shows seems to be bigger now than in the days, when he was really there. You don't know what you got until you lose it !

Buckeye Randy

Post by Buckeye Randy »

Old Man wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:50 pm
carolb57 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:00 am I regret never seeing Freddie and John live in the original band, but have loved every minute of the 4 live shows I have seen in 2014, 2017 and 2019.
If you could have seen the original band, you probably would not have "seen" John..... All Queen shows were focussed on Freddie and Brian, sometimes Roger. John never said a word, never connected with the audience and also he rarely connected with the band. There was no eye contact or any exchange of smiles and gestures etc. When you see videos today, you get to see more of him, than you would notice while really being there. You can compare it to their current bass player. Did you notice him? I guess not - and so was John.
I actually think this is true of many bass players as their personality dictates their instrument of choice. Sure, there are exceptions but as a rule a lead guitarist and lead vocalist are more extroverted on stage.

I remember my buddy commenting the highlight of John Deacon was seeing him hit a single not on the triangle.

Most entertaining bass player I've seen live was probably Chris Squire of Yes with Kasim Sultan of Utopia getting an honorable mention. Both of those bands play music conducive to long instrumentals and soloing by all members.
Old Man wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:50 pm And also very strange: Freddie's "presence" in the QPR and QAL shows seems to be bigger now than in the days, when he was really there. You don't know what you got until you lose it !
Ain't that the truth. I can't speak for Queen in the 80's when they were playing stadiums globally, I can only comment on the shows I saw in Cleveland (ADATR, NOTH, Jazz, The Game). People that went to Queen shows were going for the entire 'SHOW'. It was smoke and fire and great lighting plus a real guitar hero and a charismatic lead singer. I never heard one person say, "I just have to see that Freddie Mercury".

Old Man

Post by Old Man »

Buckeye Randy wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:26 am
People that went to Queen shows were going for the entire 'SHOW'. It was smoke and fire and great lighting plus a real guitar hero and a charismatic lead singer. I never heard one person say, "I just have to see that Freddie Mercury".
Yes, that's exactly what it was. They always had the biggest lightshows, which was quite new in those days. Depending on the country the audience was also part of the attraction, singing even before the band went on stage.
And I dare to say, that the people in the audience connected more with Brian May than with Freddie ! Brian May was always friendly when talking to the people. Freddie would very often call "us" "You M.....F.....s" and so on. Freddie on stage was a "dangerous" character, highly interesting to watch - but from a distance.... :D

Buckeye Randy

Post by Buckeye Randy »

Old Man wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:01 pm Yes, that's exactly what it was. They always had the biggest lightshows
The large venue in Cleveland at the time was The Coliseum. It was actually not in Cleveland at all, it was in the middle a rural area half way between Akron and Cleveland and close to where a few different highways intersected. It was affectionately referred to as, "the big house on the prairie".

Anyways, we would always get to the parking lot several hours early for the party. Part of the anticipation was seeing how many tractor trailers were needed to haul in all the gear. Queen always had the most.

Old Man

Post by Old Man »

Buckeye Randy wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:51 am
Anyways, we would always get to the parking lot several hours early for the party. Part of the anticipation was seeing how many tractor trailers were needed to haul in all the gear. Queen always had the most.
Interesting place ! Never saw something like that.
Queen definitely had the most in 1979. Below is a german tour documentary, where around 4:30 min a leading technician explains, that they were not only the biggest touring production. They also had the highest power consumption. The Jazz-concert needed 430.000 Watt for lights (!) and 26.000 Watt for sound in two hours. As the guy explains, that would be enough energy to heat 10 houses for 6 weeks... They were proud of it then, today it's probably ecologically incorrect. Those were the days....