Other Than Live Aid..

Queen tours, one-off shows, bootlegs, merchandise
FunnyHowLoveIs

Re: Other Than Live Aid..

Post by FunnyHowLoveIs »

Kes wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:54 pm Still doesn't compare.

Just to level the playing field, go on youtube, and compare the number of views of Queen's Live Aid set (just one artist in amongst fifty or sixty on the day), to Q+PR Live in Ukraine, you could probably strike off five or six zeros.

You're trying to make impossible statistics, and failing very badly.
Freeloading music via Pirate Bay or patiently keeping my finger on the record button of a tiny tape deck waiting for the album of the week on entirely free FM radio back in the day or using Spotify for free without a penny, what's the difference KES, absolutely none. For the record, up until the age of the internet, I paid every earned and not earned gift of my money to own Queen's catalog including two song 45's while having the songs on the entire LP, cassette, CD and 8track respectively. Until Queen and any other artist including me can safely pull of what U2 seems to be able to do with their stream of Live In Berlin, as you put it Kes, freeloading will run rampant for eons.

As for Queen at Live Aid, you said it yourself, there were dozens of other artists on two continents I remind you with every television and every radio station in America broadcasting live every nano second of the entire Live Aid, you are correct, it's madness to say Live In Ukraine is actually bigger in terms of audience and reach but really? Do you miss the point that Live In Ukraine stands alone in terms of success without so much as a big 1/8th sized advert on any website in America at the time? Rolling Stone spoke of it after the fact and that's only because Rolling Stone was desperate for readers. Standalone Live In Ukraine with a miniscule amount of forehand knowledge in the USA is equal to the GOD of GOD sized attention Live Aid got, plain and simple.

Kes

Post by Kes »

The point he's trying to make, is that he creates "music", and not many people buy it, though everyone seems to either listen to it, or knows it.

So far it hasn't clicked that his style of self marketing actually turns people off the idea of even giving it the time of day.

FunnyHowLoveIs

Post by FunnyHowLoveIs »

Kes wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:04 pm The point he's trying to make, is that he creates "music", and not many people buy it, though everyone seems to either listen to it, or knows it.

So far it hasn't clicked that his style of self marketing actually turns people off the idea of even giving it the time of day.
Tell that to Roger Taylor of whom was heard via satellite radio on his drum kit singing back up vocals while an unknown singer sang lead to my own song. There was a dining room 1/2 full of strangers all listening as one person spoke up and complimented me on that feat. So yea, unless someone was imitating Roger, no doubt he covered it, but I've never found it on the net, it made it to satellite radio as did "Act Of Mercy" covered by the Boss no less, also on satellite radio and spoken of by fans as a song he played during a soundcheck, some report it's to be included on the "Tracks II" unreleased and b-side compilation follow up to his moderately succesful Tracks box set, something of which Queen would probably benefit from trying themselves with old and new material.

Kes

Post by Kes »

You bought the 45's off albums you already owned?

Wow, what a nice starting point.

When it comes to Queen, I've got pretty much complete singles catalogues from the UK, USA, Japan, Germany, and a lot of countries around the world. Last count, 40 copies of Greatest Hits 1 on vinyl, alone.

But.... There's people out there who've got more than I have!

I'm not special, so why you think you are, is completely beyond me.

FunnyHowLoveIs

Post by FunnyHowLoveIs »

Kes wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:10 pm You bought the 45's off albums you already owned?

Wow, what a nice starting point.

When it comes to Queen, I've got pretty much complete singles catalogues from the UK, USA, Japan, Germany, and a lot of countries around the world. Last count, 40 copies of Greatest Hits 1 on vinyl, alone.

But.... There's people out there who've got more than I have!
When Jazz was released in America, I found it with a razor cut to the cover itself, in a $5USD bargain bin almost covered by dozens of other artists weeks after it's initial release here in America. I almost didn't believe it was Queen til I played it. I personally rank Jazz as one of my top five favorite albums entirely from Queen. Gene Simmons of KISS probably owns the biggest KISS collection known to exist so it seems.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Almost definitely Brian May owns the largest Queen collection. He has a contract in place with the record companies, that he gets sent a copy of anything released officially, of anything, anywhere .

FunnyHowLoveIs

Post by FunnyHowLoveIs »

Warehouse? Barn? How and where does one keep all that?

During "Family Jewels" with Gene Simmons, there were frequent shots of his office, wall to wall, room to room individual KISS stuff. Posters, buttons, dolls, coffins, bubble gum, puzzles, every version of any nano second of official and not so official releases, only the floor was visible complete with a KISS carpet thrown on the white marble floor.

Brian as such?

FunnyHowLoveIs

Post by FunnyHowLoveIs »

If it is any interest to you KES or anyone reading this, http://www.googlegroups.com is a treasure trove of posts from members of Queen using aliases and of course fans too, it's died off in so many respects but right up til the year before and after 2008 it was hopping popular at alt.music.queen

Generic username

Post by Generic username »

Minor correction.

US TV absolutely did not broadcast "every nano second of live aid". They would have had to start at 7am with Status Quo (largely unknown in the US)

Otherwise, carry on, I'm enjoying this - not your best work, William, but worthy of attention