I Make No Apologies In Writing This Commentary

Queen tours, one-off shows, bootlegs, merchandise
FunnyHowLoveIs

I Make No Apologies In Writing This Commentary

Post by FunnyHowLoveIs »

Taken from a question from a devote Queen fan in Facebook, my response to the question, in full here.

No doubt i'd gladly take the original queen, john, roger brian and freddie but those days cannot happen again (and cloning isn't exactly common place) however, saying that, i really gave rock in rio 2015 the whole show on video along with live around the world both whole digital audio and the entire video a complete triple experience and i'm genuinely both happy and glad for brian and roger to know adam lambert really does each and every song complete justice, better than any attempt freddie could have possibly done live in each and every song. Under Pressure, only Annie Lennox has come remotely close to reaching high notes live with that song yet adam nailed it completely in live around the world with total ease too.

If anything it's roger and brian who are lacking in total effort. i'd love to hear who wants to live forever as it originally was on a kind of magic, not this basic production totally devoid of strings such as the classic rendition includes to add to the dramatics on akom. also, bohemian rhapsodys operatic part, with all the money queen has earned, how hard would it be to find even a six member choir to perform the opea section every night? brian and roger are relying on their reputation as a stripped down band to carry them and in doing so are doing no justice to themselves and the music at times. that said, the vast majority of the live performances from all members of the touring group are totally for the vast part of it all, outstanding and the visuals really send queen over the top beyond anyone else.. only u2 comes a distant 2nd to live performance both audio and video and to say that about u2 is to say almost godly words about queen and queen deserves it plain and simple.

That's from Facebook

Ill close with the following,

I think both solo efforts from Brian and Roger deserve to be heard within a Queen & Adam Lambert concert. Sure, "Last Horizon" briefly makes an appearance but how about Rogers "Good Times Are Now", "Lets Get Crazy", "Magic Is Loose, "Laugh Or Cry", "Strange Frontier" or "Airheads"? How about "Interlude In Constantinople" as the intro to a QAL concert?

Wanna convince me that "Love Token", "Back To The Light", "Rollin' Over" or especially "Let Your Heart Rule Your Head' Or "Why Don't We Try Again" wouldn't be welcome in concert?
The song "Business" absolutely smokes big time on the 'Another World" album and as serious as the songs lyrics are, its one of Brians better guitar pieces on his solo albums, even with the sound effects, heck that makes the sound and song uniquely standout above the others.

They should go out on a proven limb by other artists and reach into to the seldom if never performed songs such as "Funny How Love Is" or "She Makes Me" (complete with sound effects) or "Long Away" or make "It's Late" a duet including it in the encores, before or after WWRY/WATC. seriously, if there is any song that is all out rockin, it's the answer to Meat Loafs "Paradise By The Dashboard Light" mega anthem and its "It's Late"

A real treat for any audience is an all out effort to note for note peform "March Of The Black Queen" and if Brian/Roger don't agree, thats them two saying believe it or not, they lack the talent to pull off such a complicated song. That's no insult, thats me saying maybe they believe they both lack the talent in themselves, I really honestly don't know.

Well, here's to hoping QAL comes roaring back to the stage and finally I get to experience Queen for the first time in my entire life, in person, front and center where they actually are breathing and living in the same space as me.

My two cents worth,

Funny

Action This Day

Re: I Make No Apologies In Writing This Commentary

Post by Action This Day »

You have to remember that even with Freddie, Queen were crowd-pleasers and always played the hits that worked well live. See the Magic tour setlist for example. They catered to casual 'Greatest Hits' fans for the most part, usually throwing in a couple of early tracks for the diehards.

For some reason Brian and Roger have continued that into this venture. The average Queen fan attending a Q+AL show is not aware of Brian and Roger's solo output, nor do they want to hear it. And the same goes for obscure album tracks like 'Funny How Love Is' or 'She Makes Me'.

'March of the Black Queen' was never performed in full with Freddie and I doubt if Brian or Roger could even remember the full song. They actually did start playing 'It's Late' on the NOTW 40th anniversary tour but strangely dropped it after just a few gigs. I do agree that still using the tape version of 'Bo Rhap' opera part is a cop-out.

Having said all that if you do go to see them I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I've seen them twice, Adam is much better than Paul Rodgers and the show is a fantastic audio and visual spectacle. The light show alone is incredible and the Red Special has never sounded better.

When I saw them on the 2017 tour the setlist was great, not all 80's tracks as I was expecting. Instead they drew heavily from Queen's 1975 to 1979 output with more than half the setlist coming from that era.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Subjective. You LIKE Adam Lambert more than you like Paul Rodgers. It doesn't make him better.

Paul Rodgers has a voice of it's time, and has written or co-written half a dozen songs that have lasted fifty years, give it time and see if Mr L can do anything that stands the test of time. Not saying he won't, just that I wouldn't bet on it.

Action This Day

Kes wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:37 pm Subjective. You LIKE Adam Lambert more than you like Paul Rodgers. It doesn't make him better.

Paul Rodgers has a voice of it's time, and has written or co-written half a dozen songs that have lasted fifty years, give it time and see if Mr L can do anything that stands the test of time. Not saying he won't, just that I wouldn't bet on it.
Sorry I just meant a better FIT for the band. Paul Rodgers is by far the more successful artist but I didn't feel he fitted the band so well.

Kes

Post by Kes »

I have no doubt AL is a technically more gifted singer, but unfortunatetly, all he brings to the party is his voice, I'd argue that at least with Paul Rodgers, you got Queen, Free and Bad Company setlists. It's a shame that AL's own repertoire isn't really suited to Queen's.

Action This Day

Kes wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:51 pm I have no doubt AL is a technically more gifted singer, but unfortunatetly, all he brings to the party is his voice, I'd argue that at least with Paul Rodgers, you got Queen, Free and Bad Company setlists. It's a shame that AL's own repertoire isn't really suited to Queen's.
Yes but IMO that was better for those who like me who were paying to hear Queen songs. As good as PR is, I and probably the majority of the audience were there for Queen and weren't really interested in hearing PR songs. Although All Right Now and Feel Like Makin' Love were quite good admittedly.

I was surprised that Q+AL dropped The Show Must Go On in 2017 as it was a major part of the show during the PR era, one of the encores IIRC.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Each to their own, isn't it?

I felt that way up to the last time i saw Q+PR. I went to see the musical f*ck knows how many times, and I guess the message of C-lebrity, and the very strong ramming home of how internet promoted Pop Idol culture, was eating into music left a lasting impression. One which made AL a bit hard to swallow.

I went to Knebworth in 86, and thankfully still have fairly strong memories of it. I don't really want them watered down these days, and that's how I feel going to see them now would go. Sorry.

Fine for other people who never saw them with Fred, or don't care. Fill your boots.

MyHumanZoo

Post by MyHumanZoo »

Action This Day wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:55 pm
Having said all that if you do go to see them I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I've seen them twice, Adam is much better than Paul Rodgers and the show is a fantastic audio and visual spectacle. The light show alone is incredible and the Red Special has never sounded better.

When I saw them on the 2017 tour the setlist was great, not all 80's tracks as I was expecting. Instead they drew heavily from Queen's 1975 to 1979 output with more than half the setlist coming from that era.
I quite agree, I have seen them several times with AL and it is a great show and he fits well with the band. The sound and lights are fantastic, just a fun show all the way around. I’m not an AL fan otherwise, but for this effort he works well.