Can we have a music video collection yet, please?

Video, interviews, promo footage, rare and unseen footage
Sir Didymus

Can we have a music video collection yet, please?

Post by Sir Didymus »

Queen's music videos have a potted history. Most of them made it to an official VHS release between 1981's Greatest Flix and 1999's Greatest Flix III. A few of them even made it to Laserdisc and VCD.

Then came DVD, and things started promisingly with the release of Greatest Video Hits 1 in 2002, and Greatest Video Hits 2 in 2003. But these releases stopped at 1989's Scandal, leaving the 1990s material absent, save for a promo only release of Flix I & II, and the independent release of the Made in Heaven short films. And what's more, they were also weirdly cropped to 16:9 widescreen.

At the time, it was rumoured that the Torpedo Twins and Queen Productions had a falling out, which led to them restricting the release of the later videos. And yet, the following year, some of them turned up on the Japanese releases Greatest Karoke Hits and Jewels. And since then, nothing. However, all of their music videos were uploaded to YouTube many years ago, and there they have remained in terrible quality. The Rhys Thomas documentary Days of Our Lives allowed us a glimpse into a few hi-def alternate videos, but as brilliant as they were, it's the original series of music videos that fans are hankering for.

So, I'll ask what we've been asking since 2004... can we have a complete set of Queen music videos on DVD and Blu-Ray? Preferably remastered in their original aspect ratio, and from the best available sources... and with surround sound if possible. And include every possible variant that will fit, maybe with some retrospective extras?

Tenement Funster

Re: Can we have a music video collection yet, please?

Post by Tenement Funster »

Unfortunately, and I agree with you totally, this is never going to happen.

It would be awesome and I’d buy it on BD (or preferably 4K) like a shot but not enough people buy physical media these days to make it worth it.

A digital release is possibly more likely if anything - but even that is not likely I would suggest.

I’d love to see a collection available to purchase on iTunes if we weren’t to get a blu ray.

Ray

Post by Ray »

If they can release Freddie's music videos on Blu-ray, why can't they Queen's? Tbh, I'm surprised this didn't happen by now, especially after the movie...I expected way more releases after that massive success, Queen hasn't been as popular and in the public mind as it is now in a long time.

I really hope this still happens one day. Some of those videos are really special and great and it's part of their legacy. At least we got the DVDs, still...

Black Wings

Post by Black Wings »

This is one of the things I have had hopes for for years now, but given the fact it hasn't happened by now, I don't think it will. A shame. Those latter videos have so much creativity and courage.

Sir Didymus

Post by Sir Didymus »

Tenement Funster wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:41 am Unfortunately, and I agree with you totally, this is never going to happen.

It would be awesome and I’d buy it on BD (or preferably 4K) like a shot but not enough people buy physical media these days to make it worth it.

A digital release is possibly more likely if anything - but even that is not likely I would suggest.

I’d love to see a collection available to purchase on iTunes if we weren’t to get a blu ray.
The Beatles 1+ was a huge success and is really the template for how this should be done.

And I'd also wager that the whole "dying physical media" notion is over-exaggerated, primarily by labels who don't want the overheads! But things like RSD prove there's a market. And there's all manner of limited edition print runs of movies and TV shows out there through companies like Scream, Shout Factory, Arrow Films etc. who manage to make it work. We're also getting physical media releases of other Queen products, so why not a music video collection?

MusicalProstitute

Post by MusicalProstitute »

Sir Didymus wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:53 pm Queen's music videos have a potted history. Most of them made it to an official VHS release between 1981's Greatest Flix and 1999's Greatest Flix III. A few of them even made it to Laserdisc and VCD.

Then came DVD, and things started promisingly with the release of Greatest Video Hits 1 in 2002, and Greatest Video Hits 2 in 2003. But these releases stopped at 1989's Scandal, leaving the 1990s material absent, save for a promo only release of Flix I & II, and the independent release of the Made in Heaven short films. And what's more, they were also weirdly cropped to 16:9 widescreen.

At the time, it was rumoured that the Torpedo Twins and Queen Productions had a falling out, which led to them restricting the release of the later videos. And yet, the following year, some of them turned up on the Japanese releases Greatest Karoke Hits and Jewels. And since then, nothing. However, all of their music videos were uploaded to YouTube many years ago, and there they have remained in terrible quality. The Rhys Thomas documentary Days of Our Lives allowed us a glimpse into a few hi-def alternate videos, but as brilliant as they were, it's the original series of music videos that fans are hankering for.

So, I'll ask what we've been asking since 2004... can we have a complete set of Queen music videos on DVD and Blu-Ray? Preferably remastered in their original aspect ratio, and from the best available sources... and with surround sound if possible. And include every possible variant that will fit, maybe with some retrospective extras?
Man, I so agree with you on this. I have always wanted these wonderful promos in the best quality. I want every one of them restored, rejuvenated, upscaled - whatever it takes. I would adore a big collection release including the whole lot. That and then a live box set...yes please.

boffy

Post by boffy »

Absolutely. It's ridiculous that the band credited with popularising the idea of the music video has never sold a decent release of most of theirs on DVD.

TheMiracleMan

Post by TheMiracleMan »

Ray wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:07 am If they can release Freddie's music videos on Blu-ray, why can't they Queen's? Tbh, I'm surprised this didn't happen by now, especially after the movie...I expected way more releases after that massive success, Queen hasn't been as popular and in the public mind as it is now in a long time.

I really hope this still happens one day. Some of those videos are really special and great and it's part of their legacy. At least we got the DVDs, still...
Just because Brian and Roger are currently playing live shows with Lambert and they don't care about anything else. They even pushed back the release of the box set of the album The Miracle in order to release the result of their concert activities with Lambert.

Old Man

Post by Old Man »

TheMiracleMan wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:11 pm Just because Brian and Roger are currently playing live shows with Lambert and they don't care about anything else. They even pushed back the release of the box set of the album The Miracle in order to release the result of their concert activities with Lambert.
They are "currently playing live shows"? Where do you live? It's quite possible, that they never ever again will play live shows. Due to Corona and/or private health issues.
And no huge record company will release any big item right now, just see the "Beatles". Be assured that Universal wants to make as much money as possible. And that's why bigger box sets are held back. Unless you want to sell a small edition for die-hard fans. But "Queen" always want it "big"....

The same goes for music DVDs. We have Greatest Flix One and Two with surround sound and extras. Ever thought about the fact, what those final videos mean to them? How painful it is for them to watch them? What would a "Queen 1+" DVD look like starting with "Keep yourself alive" and ending with a dying Freddie? If you want that, go to youtube......