Give us Info re Hungarian Rhapsody sound debacle

Welcome to Queenonline. This is the place to report problems, or give feedback about this message board or the entire Queenonline site.

Give us Info re Hungarian Rhapsody sound debacle

Postby realuncas » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:42 am

Please can we have a definitive statement about the sound problems experienced by thousands of fans who went to screenings of this film, expecting superb 5.1 surround sound but actually getting dull, quiet, underwhelming audio.
We need to know if this was the fault of the actual film distributed to these cinemas, or whether the Cinemas themselves did not set up correctly. We need this info to enable us to direct our complaints and seek refunds.

Also it would be just plain decent and civil for the many reports of disappointment and poor experience to be acknowledged to evidence that Fans experience is (hopefully) still respected, and values and standards still retained by Queen.

realuncas
Spread Your Wings

Re: Give us Info re Hungarian Rhapsody sound debacle

Postby JLP » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:36 pm

realuncas wrote:Please can we have a definitive statement about the sound problems experienced by thousands of fans who went to screenings of this film, expecting superb 5.1 surround sound but actually getting dull, quiet, underwhelming audio.
We need to know if this was the fault of the actual film distributed to these cinemas, or whether the Cinemas themselves did not set up correctly. We need this info to enable us to direct our complaints and seek refunds.

Also it would be just plain decent and civil for the many reports of disappointment and poor experience to be acknowledged to evidence that Fans experience is (hopefully) still respected, and values and standards still retained by Queen.

From the thread I have linked after the quote,

Administrator wrote:From reading the posts here and elsewhere, there seems to be mixed experiences to say the least (I have been noting as many I can find and sending on).

As I've said, I've seen and heard this film twice (in different screening rooms) and my experience was similar to that of people like Dave "Sound was phenomenal" Mack who was watching in NYC.

I can only suggest that anyone who goes to see it complains to the cinema staff as soon as possible, like many of you have. If you're unlucky enough to have quiet stereo sound on the main film, tell them to turn it up and make sure it's in surround. Maybe it's as simple as someone forgetting to push a button after the documentary and changing to surround mode?

None of the press reviews mention any sound problems, quite the opposite, which makes me doubt there's a problem with the film as such.

Also for anyone who's wondering about the CDs, DVD and Blu-Ray, I can assure you that the audio on them is a completely different beast and the bits I've heard sound incredible.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4477&start=45

Hope that helps.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby AdamMethos » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:01 pm

realuncas wrote:We need to know if this was the fault of the actual film distributed to these cinemas, or whether the Cinemas themselves did not set up correctly. We need this info to enable us to direct our complaints and seek refunds.

Some people mentioned seeing DVD/Blu-Ray menus pop-up on the cinema screen before the documentary or the concert film started. I think this may be where the problem lies because DVD/Blu-Ray is not the standard way that films are shown in cinemas. So the theaters may have had to do a custom setup, and many of them messed it up.

I found this really fascinating article on how digital movies are distributed and screened:
http://www.wirefresh.com/how-are-digital-movies-distributed-and-screened-every-question-answered/

AdamMethos
Spread Your Wings

Sir Lurk-a-lot

Postby DARN10 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:29 pm

I went to Cineworld in Middlesbrough with 3 friends. The sound quality was a joke - we were promised amazing 5.1 surround sound - you are right it was dull, quiet, underwhelming audio. People have asked me what was the Film like? - reply - 'it was shit' which people could interpret as - queen are shit. So do Queen know that this Film, Designed to profile and showcase the band is actually damaging them?
We must have spent over £100 between us on this night out - a total waste - OK not much money to Brian & Roger but a lot for ordinary folk like us.

So what happens next - someone says sorry and that's it! It's not good enough - We would love to have heard it the way we were meant to but I suppose we won't be invited to go back (at no cost) to see it again - but fixed and sounding LOUD and amazing. I WANT MY MONEY BACK THOUGH - AT LEAST.

I HAVE FOLLOWED QUEEN SINCE 1973 AND SEEN THEM LIVE ELEVEN TIMES

DARN10
Spread Your Wings

Postby realuncas » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:45 pm

Could "Cineworld" be the common element here? It was at a Cineworld cinema (Renfrew Street, Glasgow) that I saw the film. (I did complain twice to the Cinema but they seemed unable to do anything other than turn up the volume a bit.)

realuncas
Spread Your Wings

Postby DARN10 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:40 pm

I have been on other Forums and people are saying the same all over the country - not just Cineworld but other cinemas as well. Probably cinemas don't know how to set up properly!

People from US though seem to have had much better experience - saying quality of sound was loud and awesome - so again what went wrong?

WHEN WILL WE GET A RESPONSE FROM QUEEN?

DARN10
Spread Your Wings

Postby JLP » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:09 am

DARN10 wrote:I have been on other Forums and people are saying the same all over the country - not just Cineworld but other cinemas as well. Probably cinemas don't know how to set up properly!

People from US though seem to have had much better experience - saying quality of sound was loud and awesome - so again what went wrong?

Sorry but this isn't Queen's fault. The fault surely lies with the cinemas as hinted at in the response I quoted. If the cinema doesn't know how to set up properly, that is not the fault of Brian May or Roger Taylor.

Maybe try e mailng Brian May at his site.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Postby realuncas » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:58 am

I did send an email to Brian May`s site (soapbox) the morning after the screening on the 20th. No reply as yet. Copy of email I sent below

Hi,

I think you should check out the sound quality being experienced by fans attending the Hungarian Rhapsody film. Very disappointing in lots of cases as reported on web sites/fan forums etc. I was at the Renfrew St Glasgow showing - good quality to the pre concert documentary, but poor sound for the actual concert.
Puts remaining Queen band members in a bad light - Advertised as "superb 5.1 surround sound". Either the cinemas are getting something very wrong or film promoters (yourselves?) are taking the mickey.
Disappointing as I personally travelled 200 miles round trip to try experience something close to a live Queen concert, but just felt I was watching a large TV!

If in fact Band members have nothing to do with the film, you might want to disassociate yourselves from it to retain your hard earned and wholly warranted reputation and integrity.

Martin Smith

I also wrote to the Cinema after the showing (again copied below - again no response as yet)

[i]I was disappointed in the sound quality of the Film "Hungarian Rhapsody" (Queen live in Budapest `86)screened this evening (20 Sept) at Renfrew Street, Glasgow.
The film was billed as "superb 5.1 surround sound". In practice the sound was mediocre, and as a result the filmed concert was not engaging - a big letdown for my wife and I who had travelled 200 miles round trip from Galloway to see it.
I spoke to cinema staff after about 10 mins of the Concert film and was told they were looking into it as other comments had been received. I believe the volume may have been turned up a bit at that point. I spoke to staff again after about 45 mins explaining that the sound was not crisp and not the promised superb 5,1 surround sound, but rather was almost akin to a mono experience - more like a TV rather than Cinema sound. The staff were polite but seemed unable to help and suggested I speak to Management after the film had finished. (Sadly too late by then).
I would mention that the initial short documentary about Queen was better sound, paradoxically as this warned beforehand that the quality might vary. The Concert film which was supposed to be superb was far from it.
I do not know whether the mediocre sound was the actual quality of the film, or whether a mistake had been made in the transmision/sound settings at the Cinema.
I would be grateful if you could look into this and feed back to me as a few hundred customers were poorly served this evening I fear.

Martin Smith

realuncas
Spread Your Wings

Postby DARN10 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:40 pm

JLP wrote:
DARN10 wrote:I have been on other Forums and people are saying the same all over the country - not just Cineworld but other cinemas as well. Probably cinemas don't know how to set up properly!

Sorry but this isn't Queen's fault. The fault surely lies with the cinemas as hinted at in the response I quoted. If the cinema doesn't know how to set up properly, that is not the fault of Brian May or Roger Taylor.

I am not saying it is their fault - but it has to be in their interest to know what is happening all around the country after all it is their reputation at risk. Also they have a Management team with clout behind them that can find out exactly what is going on. If it was a film to showcase me and my fans were being ripped off - I would want to know!

DARN10
Spread Your Wings

Postby JLP » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:01 pm

DARN10 wrote:
JLP wrote:

I am not saying it is their fault - but it has to be in their interest to know what is happening all around the country after all it is their reputation at risk. Also they have a Management team with clout behind them that can find out exactly what is going on. If it was a film to showcase me and my fans were being ripped off - I would want to know!

have you talked to the relevant cinema?
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Postby Kes » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:54 pm

Wherever the fault lies, you aren't going to get ANYBODY rushing out and admitting liability on a public forum, ESPECIALLY if people are after compensation out of it.

Think of the same reason it usually says in your car insurance documents never to admit an accident was your fault. The legal eagles and insurance companies will decide whose fault it was.

If the band have sent the film to pre-screenings, and the cinemas concerned have handled it so it sounds perfect, there's every chance they have assumed it will work everywhere. Anyway, judging by the pre-screening, they've sent it out through Eagle Rock, but the DVD/BD will be through Eagle Rock in the States, and Universal everywhere else.

Did anyone notice whether the film in UK cinemas was badged up as Eagle Rock or Universal?

Here might lie PART of the possible problem.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby pow wow » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:56 pm

The reply I got from Cineworld regarding the volume and lack of 5.1 issues. If the concert was preset with volume as loud or preferably louder than than documentary we wouldn't have had this problem. Also wouldn't go amiss for Cineworld to train more staff.

Dear

Thank you for contacting Cineworld.

First and foremost, please accept our apologies for failing to your expectations during the “Hungarian Rhapsody” performance which took place in Cineworld Liverpool on the 20th of September, 2012, it is our goal to provide a sensational time at our sites, and therefore I am sorry to learn how on this occasion it might not have been the case.

I have contacted our Liverpool cinema Management Team to discuss the possibility of increasing the volume during performances of alternative content, such as “Hungarian Rhapsody”, and I have been advised that the volume can be increased, however, due to its extreme sensitivity, the Cinema Team is not allowed to adjust the levels due to the possibility of producing have adverse effects on the quality of the sound.

These levels have been designed to produce the best possible effect, taking in account diverse aspects, such as the auditorium’s size, or equipment, and in this context, I’m afraid to advise that our Cinema Team has not been trained to determine these particular details, which to our knowledge, only the distributors can upon being advised by hired professionals within the field.

I can understand how this issue has diminished your appreciation for this performance, and I can assume you hope that Cineworld becomes more active in regards to details of this nature, therefore, please allow me assure you that we will consider this issue accordingly. I shall forward this information to our Marketing Team in a view to provide the distributors with some feedback on what is being reported, and hopefully, improve the customer experience even further.

I have been advised that by Cineworld Liverpool cinema Team that no feedback was reported to Management, please feel free to request the Duty Manager's presence, who is available at all times to assist with any issues or concerns our customers may have.  If there is any aspect of your cinema experience that you are unhappy with, please feel free to speak to the Duty Manager and where possible a resolution can be met immediately.

Your comments have been passed to our Marketing Department as part of our continual effort to collate customer feedback which we will reflect on when taking our business forward in the future.  Cineworld would therefore like to thank you for taking the time to write to us with your concerns. Please rest assured, your comments will be considered.

I hope this information has been helpful, for any other queries, please contact us via telephone on our Customer Service Line on 0844 815 7747, our offices are open from Monday to Friday between the hours of 9:00am and 5:30pm and Saturdays from 10:00 am until 06:30 pm, alternatively, simply reply to this email.

Kind regards,

Carlos Evora,
Cineworld Customer Services."

pow wow
Spread Your Wings

Postby realuncas » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:11 pm

I also received a similar email response from Cineworld - however with this additional paragraph

I have been advised that by Glasgow Renfrew St. cinema Team that there were some negative feedback from this performance’s audience, and the complimentary tickets were given in exchange of ticket stubs, if you have not been offered this good will gesture, please feel free to send an attached image (photo or scanned) of your tickets stubs, along with your postal address, so we can send you an equal amount of complimentary tickets (redeemable for 2D or 3D films only).

Whilst thanking them for the goodwill gesture I asked them in reply if they thought equal amount complementary tickets adequately compensated for a 200 mile round trip to see this film. Pleased however to be offered something as acknowledgement of the debacle. Perhaps other fans who experienced poor sound should be pressing for the same?
I am still puzzled why/how some cinemas were able to provide great sound, and others only mediocre. Mostly I am disappointed that we were not able to experience the Band in their full splendor.A great opportunity lost.

realuncas
Spread Your Wings

Postby Cliff » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:51 am

If its being played from a Bluray the default sound when you put it in the player is stereo, i.e. you have to go into the menu to change it to DTS 5.1.

Further not helped by the fact the concert auto starts without even the menu coming up.

So if that is what some of the cinemas are doing you are getting the sound in stereo until someone realises.

Cliff
Spread Your Wings

Return to Queenonline