Everybody's Talking About Jamie

Discuss all you like about The Great Pretender
Didymus

Everybody's Talking About Jamie

Post by Didymus »

Just a heads up: the new film version of hit musical Everybody's Talking About Jamie was released on Amazon Prime this weekend, and it features a brand new song sung by Holly Johnson.

The song accompanies a touching montage about the fight for gay pride and acceptance in the 1980s, and the passing of a character's Asian partner due to AIDS complications in 1992. The sequence purports to feature camcorder footage, and part of it is "shot" on 24th November 1991, when birthday celebrations in a gay bar are interrupted by the news of Freddie Mercury's death.

Rather touching to see Freddie referenced in this way, as well as in the songs and dialogue. One of the better moments in a sadly uneven movie... but may be enough to make some of you check it out.
Last edited by Didymus on Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Generic username

Re: Everybody's Talking About Jamie

Post by Generic username »

The evening news had the story on the Sunday night, the papers reported it on the Monday morning.

Which was the 25th, so it depends on your medium

WeeMann

Post by WeeMann »

The evening news ran his statement, but news of his death was the next morning.

Didymus

Post by Didymus »

Ah, brilliant, thanks for clarifying that. I had convinced myself otherwise through half remembered facts about the papers mixed with the BBC tribute and seeing news bulletins the following evening.

LucywashiandsowasI

Post by LucywashiandsowasI »

WeeMann wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:56 am The evening news ran his statement, but news of his death was the next morning.
The press statement was ran in the Saturday morning papers. I picked up a paper at a motorway services enroute to the South Coast to watch Sunderland play at Plymouth (nil-1]. Some of the Sundays ran bigger spreads on the previous day’s statements. I don’t recall any further news on the Sunday at all, but this was the early days of 24hr TV in the UK. The early TV and Radio news bullet-ins carried the news of Freddie’s passing.