It is time for "The Solo Collection" to not only be re-released but released in the U.S. for the first time.

Discuss all you like about The Great Pretender
Tero

Re: It is time for "The Solo Collection" to not only be re-released but released in the U.S. for the first time.

Post by Tero »

Didymus wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:35 am
Ray wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:04 am Brian's solo stuff needs the rereleases now and fortunately they're on the way.
As do Roger's 90s albums on vinyl. Happiness is the one I'm missing and it goes for silly bollock money.
Looking at my Discogs median prices, a lot of the Queen vinyls seem to go for silly prices...

Queen Rocks - 200 €
Rock Montreal - 200 €
Roger's Happiness - 170 €
GH III - 160 €
On Fire at the Bowl - 130 €
Brian's Live at Brixton Academy - 120 €
Live at Wembley - 120 €
QPR's Return of the Champions - 100 €

I wouldn't mind if they were re-released and these prices dropped, but it's not like these are the only options to get the titles. ;)

Leigh Burne

Re: It is time for "The Solo Collection" to not only be re-released but released in the U.S. for the first time.

Post by Leigh Burne »

What does the big box set go for second-hand now anyway?

It was a few years back, but I got my copy like new for about £60. Not cheap, but imo not unreasonable for everything you get.

Actually, it was probably more years back than I care to admit.

Tero

Post by Tero »

Currently it's starting at £200, which I think is only twice the original asking price.
Not too bad, and actually cheaper than Roger's Lot.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Does demand or scarcity decide reissues?

Quite often, no.

Take these Carnaby Street singles, increasing in value ten to twenty times in 24 hours. Haven't heard anything about UMG supplying a market of pretty much definite sales.

YAFF

Post by YAFF »

They can also add the "new" versions of MBG and Barcelona to the box. It will happen but it will cost just as much as what it sells for now. GUARANTEED.

Didymus

Post by Didymus »

I'll be extremely surprised if there's any sign of a reissue of Freddie's solo material now before his 80th birthday in September 2026. Even then, I wouldn't expect much.

The chance to reissue The Solo Collection - or at least its contents - came and went. They could have released deluxe editions of Mr Bad Guy and Barcelona containing all of the rarities disc content, and a deluxe Never Boring with all the content of the Singles Collection discs. They didn't.

Tero

Post by Tero »

Why would they bother to release a deluxe edition of Never Boring with all the content of the Singles Collection discs, when they could release a deluxe edition without them? :lol:

It's all about the money. (It's all about the dum dum de da dum dum)
Compared to the Solo Collection, it's half the discs, half the paper on the book, and two thirds of the price...
They've basically doubled their profit since the Solo Collection, and that isn't taking into account that the price of new cds has actually fallen since 2000.

I don't know about you, but I would be happy to work half as much as I currently do, if I would get more money at the end of the month. ;)

Didymus

Post by Didymus »

Tero wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:41 pm Why would they bother to release a deluxe edition of Never Boring with all the content of the Singles Collection discs, when they could release a deluxe edition without them? :lol:

It's all about the money. (It's all about the dum dum de da dum dum)
Compared to the Solo Collection, it's half the discs, half the paper on the book, and two thirds of the price...
They've basically doubled their profit since the Solo Collection, and that isn't taking into account that the price of new cds has actually fallen since 2000.

I don't know about you, but I would be happy to work half as much as I currently do, if I would get more money at the end of the month. ;)
Well, exactly. They saw the easy option and they took it. And there isn't another obvious reason to release that content again in a hurry, particularly when Never Boring was the fourth solo hits album in under 20 years.

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

The most obvious way I can see for them to re-release it, if they were so inclined, would be as a digital download. A very easy way for them to get it all out there at a minimum of expense for people who don’t have the box (or the spare cash to get one second hand) to access.

I can think of several other cases where out-of-print albums have seen a digital-only re-release like that. It wouldn’t even necessarily prevent the DVD content being included, because I’ve also seen digital versions of big box sets that come with the associated video content.

Didymus

Post by Didymus »

Leigh Burne wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:27 am The most obvious way I can see for them to re-release it, if they were so inclined, would be as a digital download. A very easy way for them to get it all out there at a minimum of expense for people who don’t have the box (or the spare cash to get one second hand) to access.

I can think of several other cases where out-of-print albums have seen a digital-only re-release like that. It wouldn’t even necessarily prevent the DVD content being included, because I’ve also seen digital versions of big box sets that come with the associated video content.
Yeah, I could absolutely see them releasing the demos and rarities discs on streaming services. Maybe not the old singles discs or the David Wigg interviews, though.

But with Freddie they seem to like big birthdays so it might be his 80th before this happens.