Why can't I ignore mods and admins?

Welcome to Queenonline. This is the place to report problems, or give feedback about this message board or the entire Queenonline site.

Re: Queen Album Reissues Confirmed

Postby Tero! » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:45 pm

JLP wrote:I really fail to see anything aggresive at all in my replies to you today Tero. As for personal bias I would have to disagree. I may disagree with you more than many others but that is purely down to you and me having different opinions.

Not today, but there have been topics earlier... Topics like the previous charity gig for example.

It's one thing to dislike posters and their usual messages, and another thing to actively go out and ridicule the posters. I respond to the topic, not the person, and that's what I would love other people to do.
I don't go to the VOTW topics just to say "action, are you always such a bigot?" or into royalwhatshisnames topic to say "Royal, are you always insane?".

If you come into a topic, dismiss all the previous discussion and simply thrown in the "Can't you ever say anything positive" comment, you're stirring up an argument. Without a bias you would only respond to the topic itself, and leave out the flippant comments about personalities.
< the above message is the author's personal opinion, and does not necessarily represent the opinion of every person on this message board >

Tero!
The Show Must Go On

On holiday

Postby Tero! » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:51 pm

Kes wrote:As regards jumping on his case, the agreement was I wouldn't answer him, if he didn't quote me, or speak about me in a negative manner. He did both before I've posted ANYTHING in response.

Read the topic and decide for yourself.

I was away for over five days, made a general comment without quoting anybody or implying to anybody's text, and that message is what Kes chose to answer to.

Since then we've gotten the usual "I've bought more Queen stuff than you", "you wouldn't buy anything anyway", "toys out of pram", "stamping your foot", "you think you know better than anybody else" putdowns, and barely a mention about anything related to the actual post he quoted. :sleepy:
< the above message is the author's personal opinion, and does not necessarily represent the opinion of every person on this message board >

Tero!
The Show Must Go On

On holiday

Postby Kes » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:15 pm

Just filling the colour in on a picture that's seemingly being painted in monochrome.

Just as people might want to know why a band member might not want a particular idea released, so people might wonder why someone who professes to have bought about thirty Queen things in twenty years spends all their time on here either slagging off previous product, or doing the old grim reaper routine on future releases.

It's confounded me for ages. As you said elsewhere in another post or two... "What's the point?"

Carry on doing your not-so-merry dance around the points being made, but I think others are not only noticing what's happening, but commenting on it, as well.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby JLP » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:04 am

Tero! wrote:
JLP wrote:I really fail to see anything aggresive at all in my replies to you today Tero. As for personal bias I would have to disagree. I may disagree with you more than many others but that is purely down to you and me having different opinions.

Not today, but there have been topics earlier... Topics like the previous charity gig for example.

It's one thing to dislike posters and their usual messages, and another thing to actively go out and ridicule the posters. I respond to the topic, not the person, and that's what I would love other people to do.
I don't go to the VOTW topics just to say "action, are you always such a bigot?" or into royalwhatshisnames topic to say "Royal, are you always insane?".

If you come into a topic, dismiss all the previous discussion and simply thrown in the "Can't you ever say anything positive" comment, you're stirring up an argument. Without a bias you would only respond to the topic itself, and leave out the flippant comments about personalities.

I have disagreed with many people on here Tero, none of them claim I am biased against them. If anything the agreement we have about something particular should show that a bias does not exist. Because if it did, that agreement wouldn't be honoured.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby Tero! » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:23 am

JLP wrote:I have disagreed with many people on here Tero, none of them claim I am biased against them. If anything the agreement we have about something particular should show that a bias does not exist. Because if it did, that agreement wouldn't be honoured.

Disagreeing is perfectly natural, but that's no excuse for jumping in on a topic just to make a personal attack and ignore all past conversation. A perfect example was a topic where I had made at least four different posts about four different subjects, and somebody decided to make it personal by focusing on a single throwaway line at the end of one of those messages.

That's completely unnecessary and shows a personal bias... That's something I have no influence over, and it can only be improved be the other people in this agreement. So far it looks good for some people, and not so good on others. :?

Tero!
The Show Must Go On

On holiday

Postby JLP » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:29 am

Tero! wrote:
JLP wrote:I have disagreed with many people on here Tero, none of them claim I am biased against them. If anything the agreement we have about something particular should show that a bias does not exist. Because if it did, that agreement wouldn't be honoured.

Disagreeing is perfectly natural, but that's no excuse for jumping in on a topic just to make a personal attack and ignore all past conversation. A perfect example was a topic where I had made at least four different posts about four different subjects, and somebody decided to make it personal by focusing on a single throwaway line at the end of one of those messages.

That's completely unnecessary and shows a personal bias... That's something I have no influence over, and it can only be improved be the other people in this agreement. So far it looks good for some people, and not so good on others. :?

But you are saying I am all over you and in this thread nothing could be further from the truth.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Postby ice on fire » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:37 am

JLP is one of the least biased people that I know here in my time here(going on 4 years now).

ice on fire

Postby WeeMann » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:52 am

Tero! wrote:

Ah, I see what you're getting at. So, in order to comment on the bits we want to and feel we can discuss, we have to comment on everything you have posted up to that point, otherwise we're seen as biased? I'm pretty certain I could go back through your posts and call you on that rule more than once.

This isn't bias on our part, merely paranoia on yours. Have a read through the board. You'll find that very few people comment on everything someone has said before getting to the point, the board would be stupidly long and posts would get very boring:

Yeah I agree with that. Your second point is good. Not so sure about point 3, but not worth commenting on...

...Point 66 is valid. What I really want to say, though, is that point 67 is where I disagree with you...

People just want to get to the point. Perhaps I come on and only have a couple of minutes before I go back out, wanting to make a point before I rush off again. I'm sure as hell not going to comment on all your stuff first just to massage your fragile ego - my time is more valuable than that. Live with it. This isn't to do with bias, or disliking you or anything else you may come up with. This is about having a discussion and I won't be held to task because I want to get to the point.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby Tero! » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:16 am

JLP wrote:But you are saying I am all over you and in this thread nothing could be further from the truth.

Read the topic again. That's not what I'm saying.

I did say that Kes was doing it again, and that you had done it in the past.

Tero!
The Show Must Go On

On holiday

Postby Tero! » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:35 am

WeeMann wrote:Ah, I see what you're getting at. So, in order to comment on the bits we want to and feel we can discuss, we have to comment on everything you have posted up to that point, otherwise we're seen as biased?

No, you got it all wrong. :)

If I write a negative opinion about something Queen related, there are three ways people can react to it:

1) Ignore it, because they don't care that much about the topic
2) Discuss any of the points I've made, because they do care about the topic
3) Discuss me, because they don't care about the topic but want to take easy jabs at me

Options 1) and 2) are parts of normal everyday conversation on message boards.
Option 3) on the other hand is rude and disruptive, and can only lead to (escalation of) arguments.

Can you see the difference between those?

Tero!
The Show Must Go On

On holiday

Postby WeeMann » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:36 am

Tero! wrote:
WeeMann wrote:Ah, I see what you're getting at. So, in order to comment on the bits we want to and feel we can discuss, we have to comment on everything you have posted up to that point, otherwise we're seen as biased?

No, you got it all wrong. :)

If I write a negative opinion about something Queen related, there are three ways people can react to it:

1) Ignore it, because they don't care that much about the topic
2) Discuss any of the points I've made, because they do care about the topic
3) Discuss me, because they don't care about the topic but want to take easy jabs at me

Options 1) and 2) are parts of normal everyday conversation on message boards.
Option 3) on the other hand is rude and disruptive, and can only lead to (escalation of) arguments.

Can you see the difference between those?

Yep, but you seemingly can't as you always take option 2 to be option 3. None of this is about you. This is all about your opinions. The only one who makes this about you is you.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby JLP » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:59 am

Tero! wrote:
JLP wrote:But you are saying I am all over you and in this thread nothing could be further from the truth.

conveniently ignoring the jibe about Kes alongside Gary T, Greg B and the band of course.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Postby lord of all darkness » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:41 am

JLP wrote:
Tero! wrote:

conveniently ignoring the jibe about Kes alongside Gary T, Greg B and the band of course.

Well, this is starting to look ugly. The last 2 pages have been the whole of the admin/mod team (with the exception of Ian) bullying 1 poster. Right or wrong about Tero? This should be dealt with via pm's.
BAN them!

lord of all darkness
We Will Rock You

You are a pussy! I said show me your war face!

Re: Why can't I ignore mods and admins?

Postby Tero! » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:32 am

WeeMann wrote:Yep, but you seemingly can't as you always take option 2 to be option 3. None of this is about you. This is all about your opinions. The only one who makes this about you is you.

In your opinion, when is acceptable behaviour for you to come into a topic, and in your very first post write nothing other than "why are you always so negative?". That makes it about me, not anything that is actually being discussed.

Just like in these latest messages split by you, a perfectly reasonable negative viewpoint is systematically and repeatedly ridiculed and belittled by Kes and his "you don't buy as much as I do" "you wouldn't buy anything anyway", etc. comments. Those are about me as well, not the about the topic.

Do you genuinely think that any of that is going to improve the level of discussion in any situation? :?

Tero!
The Show Must Go On

On holiday

Postby Tero! » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:37 am

lord of all darkness wrote:Well, this is starting to look ugly. The last 2 pages have been the whole of the admin/mod team (with the exception of Ian) bullying 1 poster. Right or wrong about Tero? This should be dealt with via pm's.

We have been discussing this in PMs a while ago and the problem is that even though JLP has already suggested that none of them should ever reply to my posts again, it isn't actually going to work.

There is a personal bias against me, and while the others have managed to stay reasonable since that PM discussion, Kes has (in this topic) gone down the personal route again and ignored any topical discussion...

There is nothing more to be done, unless Ian can manage to find that "ignore mods and admins" option I originally asked for. :-P

Tero!
The Show Must Go On

On holiday

PreviousNext

Return to Queenonline