Did QPR ruin QOL?

Welcome to Queenonline. This is the place to report problems, or give feedback about this message board or the entire Queenonline site.

Did QPR ruin QOL?

Postby fairydandy » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:31 am

I think it did. Before that project, this was a happier, more fun place and this section was the most widely used (especially in the evenings at UK time). Now the 'serious' section is more widely used and no one is interested in getting along at all.

I seriously would point to QPR as being the one main thing that sent the board into decline. Those heady (pre QPR) days will never return of course...the board was in its formative years and now it is established. Even without QPR the rot would have set in, but that project just accelerated it all. People don't get on here now, they just co-exist.

QOL 'now' is much like Queenzone was back when this place started. It is unfriendly, has a core of truly horrible posters and the new people just can't break through to change it.

What happened to QOL, where did that nice place go? What caused the meltdown?

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Re: Did QPR ruin QOL?

Postby ice on fire » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:11 am

Personally, it didnt for me. What ruined it for me were a number of things, nothing to do with music, oddly enough.

ice on fire

Postby Tero! » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:28 am

QPR is a part of the problem, but not the whole problem.

The difference between QOL and other message boards is that there really aren't that many Queen-related things to discuss, and people are forced to talk about other things.Whenever there are Queen related topics, they are dividing rather than uniting.

The only way for the people on this message board to get along and be more active is if Queen makes a release that is so overwhelmingly positive that it grabs the attention of everyone, and gives enough material to talk about for years... Unfortunately only the anthology could be that kind of a release, and that's not going to happen. :-P
< the above message is the author's personal opinion, and does not necessarily represent the opinion of every person on this message board >

Tero!
The Show Must Go On

On holiday

Postby inu-liger » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:35 am

Welcome to the fandumb.

But seriously, I don't think QPR is the sole issue. People don't become negative as a whole because of one issue.
If anything, there was other things even pre-QPR that people used to sow the seeds of the negativity that has widely sprouted since then. QPR was probably the nail in the coffin, so to speak, but let me make constructive use of this topic to point out several other factors I've noticed cause people to bitch and moan about Queen, whether with the + or no +, in no particular order:

-Their inept ability to provide consistent real quality bonus material on their latest releases (not counting the upcoming 2011 releases' bonus tracks)
-Their controversial editing of the GVH DVD's to crop the videos to 16:9 instead of keeping them at their original 4:3 ratio, and the ineffective use of the DTS tracks by being mixed in 4.1 quad (thanks to Justin Shirley-Smith who had the harebrained idea that quad was better than full 5.1/6.1/7.1 surround!)
-Some of the other Queen+ collections not involving Paul Rodgers. Personal mileage may vary, but IIRC the Pepsi WWRY collaboration really drew a lot of mockery and criticism! Never mind to those few of us that do care, they never released the complete version of that re-recording
-Several promises and incomplete projects (A-Z of Queen, Top 100 Bootlegs) courtesy of either Brian or Queen Productions, that never went fulfilled. eg. 46664 album, GVH3
-Brian's Soapbox becoming a PETA-style website on the whole lately. Before that, it was still Queen-relevant stuff with the (to some people) annoying repetitive postings about the various WWRY musical productions, ORBS (Objects Rumbling Brian's Sanity) or 3D stereo photography to balance it out. I want the latter two back please! :P

Of course, the Queen fan community has its little demons that have also contributed to the negative atmosphere, namely for one the so-called "elitist" collectors who have over time dangled carrots in front of our noses (but some recently have been making pleasantly surprising liberations of their own rarities), but as well the small number of people that trolled us around claiming to have certain rarities (later disproven) or starting fake song title rumours that somehow managed to find a small following of believers for a small time!

Anyone that can think of other contributing factors? I think there's more to this than I can think of atm.

inu-liger
The Show Must Go On

Postby fairydandy » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:36 am

ptracer wrote:Nothing to do with QPR. It's dead because:

1. There's been far less to say about Queen lately
2. For a long while, the board has been very difficult to find via the main site, especially if you're not good on computers.
3. The board still uses admin activation, which in my experience takes 24 to 48 hours to get activated, by which time a large number of people have lost interest
4. The board is so cluttered with no obvious direction and it's too hard work to work out what everything means and where everything is.
5. Once you've waited for two days to be activated, then spent another two days working out where to ask what your favourite Brian May haircut is, you get hit by the dreaded General Error and the board goes offline for the day. So by the time you come round to posting your message, the best part of a week has passed and you no longer give a shit. And besides, you accidentally wandered into the Photo thread and saw the forum admin's wife with her tits out and her groin showing either side of an inappropriately small pair of knickers and that's enough to turn any 14 year old girl's stomach.

A single comment on the Queen Facebook page gets literally thousands of replies from fans. Whoever is in charge of it should post a link to QOL, but the forum needs to be both fixed and decluttered and deAmy'd first.

I agree with you in the main. Not sure about the admin's tits thing...am I missing some gossip here? :P

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby fairydandy » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:36 am

Tero! wrote:QPR is a part of the problem, but not the whole problem.

The difference between QOL and other message boards is that there really aren't that many Queen-related things to discuss, and people are forced to talk about other things.Whenever there are Queen related topics, they are dividing rather than uniting.

The only way for the people on this message board to get along and be more active is if Queen makes a release that is so overwhelmingly positive that it grabs the attention of everyone, and gives enough material to talk about for years... Unfortunately only the anthology could be that kind of a release, and that's not going to happen. :-P

Really good point.

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby ice on fire » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:37 am

Fighting or arguing especially when it gets too personal.

ice on fire

Postby fairydandy » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:39 am

inu-liger wrote:Welcome to the fandumb.

But seriously, I don't think QPR is the sole issue. People don't become negative as a whole because of one issue.
If anything, there was other things even pre-QPR that people used to sow the seeds of the negativity that has widely sprouted since then. QPR was probably the nail in the coffin, so to speak, but let me make constructive use of this topic to point out several other factors I've noticed cause people to bitch and moan about Queen, whether with the + or no +, in no particular order:

-Their inept ability to provide consistent real quality bonus material on their latest releases (not counting the upcoming 2011 releases' bonus tracks)
-Their controversial editing of the GVH DVD's to crop the videos to 16:9 instead of keeping them at their original 4:3 ratio, and the ineffective use of the DTS tracks by being mixed in 4.1 quad (thanks to Justin Shirley-Smith who had the harebrained idea that quad was better than full 5.1/6.1/7.1 surround!)
-Some of the other Queen+ collections not involving Paul Rodgers. Personal mileage may vary, but IIRC the Pepsi WWRY collaboration really drew a lot of mockery and criticism! Never mind to those few of us that do care, they never released the complete version of that re-recording
-Several promises and incomplete projects (A-Z of Queen, Top 100 Bootlegs) courtesy of either Brian or Queen Productions, that never went fulfilled. eg. 46664 album, GVH3
-Brian's Soapbox becoming a PETA-style website on the whole lately. Before that, it was still Queen-relevant stuff with the (to some people) annoying repetitive postings about the various WWRY musical productions, ORBS (Objects Rumbling Brian's Sanity) or 3D stereo photography to balance it out. I want the latter two back please! :P

Of course, the Queen fan community has its little demons that have also contributed to the negative atmosphere, namely for one the so-called "elitist" collectors who have over time dangled carrots in front of our noses (but some recently have been making pleasantly surprising liberations of their own rarities), but as well the small number of people that trolled us around claiming to have certain rarities (later disproven) or starting fake song title rumours that somehow managed to find a small following of believers for a small time!

Anyone that can think of other contributing factors? I think there's more to this than I can think of atm.

Good post Inu.

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby inu-liger » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:40 am

fairydandy wrote:QOL 'now' is much like Queenzone was back when this place started. It is unfriendly, has a core of truly horrible posters and the new people just can't break through to change it.

I have to agree with you on this one. Although QOL has significantly better moderation, there's still a problem at hand here: the admins of both sides (as far as my perception goes) are quite passive a lot of times, and too much pacifism from the beginning is exactly what allows these problems to grow

inu-liger
The Show Must Go On

Postby ice on fire » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:44 am

inu-liger wrote:
fairydandy wrote:QOL 'now' is much like Queenzone was back when this place started. It is unfriendly, has a core of truly horrible posters and the new people just can't break through to change it.

I have to agree with you on this one. Although QOL has significantly better moderation, there's still a problem at hand here: the admins of both sides (as far as my perception goes) are quite passive a lot of times, and too much pacifism from the beginning is exactly what allows these problems to grow

I still think we could use another mod~not meant as an insult to the current group.

ice on fire

Postby fairydandy » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:45 am

inu-liger wrote:

QOL was very sensitive about moderation in the early days. The place was bombarded with calls of 'over moderation' from the people from Queenzone. It wasn't actually over-moderated at all, but we couldn't shake off the tag. I think this led to a very liberal attitude on QOL and then Delilah as admin took it much further with her 'anything goes' attitude. It worked for a long while and whilst I have complained bitterly about over-moderation myself in the past (even though it was rare), we do need 'some' common sense to get it back on track, at times. I hate posts being removed though, so 'moved' is always a better option.

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby inu-liger » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:46 am

Bah, 3AM Syndrome strikes again! I meant to write "Queen+ collaborations", not "Queen+ collections", LMAO
Last edited by inu-liger on Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

inu-liger
The Show Must Go On

Postby inu-liger » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:49 am

fairydandy wrote:QOL was very sensitive about moderation in the early days. The place was bombarded with calls of 'over moderation' from the people from Queenzone. It wasn't actually over-moderated at all, but we couldn't shake off the tag. I think this led to a very liberal attitude on QOL and then Delilah as admin took it much further with her 'anything goes' attitude. It worked for a long while and whilst I have complained bitterly about over-moderation myself in the past (even though it was rare), we do need 'some' common sense to get it back on track, at times. I hate posts being removed though, so 'moved' is always a better option.

I think there are exceptions where posts being deleted can be acceptable, but that's a matter of personal opionion and debate.

But you know what's funny? I can remember complaining about the lack of proper moderation as far back as 2003 on QZ! That has been my stance since then.

inu-liger
The Show Must Go On

Postby ice on fire » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:50 am

inu-liger wrote:Bah, 3AM Syndrome strikes again! I meant to write "Queen+ colllaborations", not "Queen+ collections", LMAO

Nearly 4 am now :P

ice on fire

Postby Dusty » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:06 am

I wouldn't blame it on QPR as such, more on certain elements of the fanbase being unwilling to accept the fact that certain other elements may or may not actually like the direction the band took, and made it personal. Black Sabbath fans are not this vehemently against each other, despite some being fans of the Ozzy era, and some others being fans of the Dio era. I think Queen is the only band that has really had this problem in its' fanbase.

Dusty

Next

Return to Queenonline