Did QPR ruin QOL?

Welcome to Queenonline. This is the place to report problems, or give feedback about this message board or the entire Queenonline site.

Re: Did QPR ruin QOL?

Postby WeeMann » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:09 am

Greywoolfe wrote:I think Queen is the only band that has really had this problem in its' fanbase.

Maiden? Sacking Bayley was the best move they made after killing off those fans who liked him.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby inu-liger » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:10 am

What about Genesis and Ray Wilson? What were the fan reactions back then? Or even today?

inu-liger
The Show Must Go On

Postby Tero! » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:58 am

inu-liger wrote:What about Genesis and Ray Wilson? What were the fan reactions back then? Or even today?

I wasn't really online in the 90's ( :-P ), but at least today there is an amicable coexistence between the fans of different eras. The real difference between Queen and Genesis comes from the fact that Genesis fans are more used to changes in personnel, and they do have a pretty good series of products to talk about.

Where Queen fans are fighting about the first new member in 35 years, Genesis has had several major changes over the years. Where Queen fans are bitching about the never appearing fan releases, Genesis has produced 2 "anthology" releases in addition to the latest box sets... Some people are never happy about these releases, but at least they have made a genuine effort with a series of fan releases.
< the above message is the author's personal opinion, and does not necessarily represent the opinion of every person on this message board >

Tero!
The Show Must Go On

On holiday

Postby MTQueenie » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:37 pm

Greywoolfe wrote:I wouldn't blame it on QPR as such, more on certain elements of the fanbase being unwilling to accept the fact that certain other elements may or may not actually like the direction the band took, and made it personal. Black Sabbath fans are not this vehemently against each other, despite some being fans of the Ozzy era, and some others being fans of the Dio era. I think Queen is the only band that has really had this problem in its' fanbase.

Exactly, the fact that some people refused to accept that others could enjoy QPR (or vice versa) and got personal about it drove a lot of people away from here. Never got why people couldnt just live and let live and let the people that enjoyed it enjoy it in peace and those that didnt stay clear of it

MTQueenie
Spread Your Wings

Postby JLP » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:48 pm

ptracer wrote:Nothing to do with QPR. It's dead because:

1. There's been far less to say about Queen lately
2. For a long while, the board has been very difficult to find via the main site, especially if you're not good on computers.
3. The board still uses admin activation, which in my experience takes 24 to 48 hours to get activated, by which time a large number of people have lost interest
4. The board is so cluttered with no obvious direction and it's too hard work to work out what everything means and where everything is.
5. Once you've waited for two days to be activated, then spent another two days working out where to ask what your favourite Brian May haircut is, you get hit by the dreaded General Error and the board goes offline for the day. So by the time you come round to posting your message, the best part of a week has passed and you no longer give a shit. And besides, you accidentally wandered into the Photo thread and saw the forum admin's wife with her tits out and her groin showing either side of an inappropriately small pair of knickers and that's enough to turn any 14 year old girl's stomach.

A single comment on the Queen Facebook page gets literally thousands of replies from fans. Whoever is in charge of it should post a link to QOL, but the forum needs to be both fixed and decluttered and deAmy'd first.

I have seen the "offending" photo pt. You must have a bloody vivid imagination to see the boobs because she is wearing a t shirt.

As for your other comments. I tend to check the activations at least once daily. I no longer tend to access here from work so if someone sends an account activation at say midnight then I don't get to it until 6pm the following evening. even then it might be later as I might just have things to talk about to my family etc, or eat, or have a shower or something.

I think you might have waited a while when you re-registered but that might have been a time when I was busy or something. I do have a life outside of here believe it or not.

If you are that happy with the place why not start a Queen forum of your own which you can admin to your heart's content.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby fairydandy » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:18 pm

MTQueenie wrote:Exactly, the fact that some people refused to accept that others could enjoy QPR (or vice versa) and got personal about it drove a lot of people away from here. Never got why people couldnt just live and let live and let the people that enjoyed it enjoy it in peace and those that didnt stay clear of it

Why wouldn't anyone understand that the issue of repacing Freddie Mercury would be very emotive, to say the least? No one, not anyone, said that others couldn't enjoy QPR only that the name they were using for the venture was inappropriate, devisive and wholly inaccurate. That was the argument, that was what was stated over and over again, it was the use of the name, nothing else. I even went out of my way to ensure that everyone here had those ludicrous codes that they gave out for the first tour, so I wasn't against it from the outset. Well, ok, I was initially against it, decided to go with it (and helped with the codes etc)...and then websites started saying things like Rodgers was the 'new singer of Queen' and it all kicked off again. It was just offensive to some fans for them to be saying such nonsense and Brian and Roger had pretty much sold out at that point, at least to some of us who believed that they would stay loyal to him.

What people should realise here is that for some of the older members who had been around since day one, it was never going to be as easy to accept as it was for those who weren't even born when Freddie died! Some of the younger members might think they are Queen fans and of course 'they are', but it isn't the same if you didn't live through it, especially if you were a teenager when it all happened for them. I know that's controversial, but it's the way that it is and people need to understand the depth of feeling here. I'm not saying older fans are better, just that there is an extra layer and an extra depth if you were around at the time.

For some people, QPR was a chance to see Queen live, for others, it was replacing Freddie Mercury with someone who wasn't fit to wear the shoes (no one was/is). In my opinion, it really did rip the heart out of this band for me and it really did destroy a lot of good feeling with the members on this board. Up until that point, I never, ever criticised Queen or their releases...and the whole debacle has turned me into something of an anti-fan.

Yes, I went to the shows, and yes in the end I accepted it for what it was, a good night out with a famous Queen karaoke band (that's all it was). It was fun and it was harmless to the legacy because no one really took it seriously anyway...and then they destroyed all of that by making an album using the name. I can't think of a wosre thing for them to have done to be honest. That album was about as much 'Queen' as the Spice Girls were.

As for the people that left here...well, those people were never going to stay around anyway. Even at the meetups, they kept to themselves. :roll: I'm sorry, but real Queen fans wouldn't leave Queenoline over an argument about replacing Freddie Mercury.

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby Belle Leisha » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:24 pm

Not unless Q+PR somehow forced members to start being belligerently intolerantly rude to each other. I don't think it's ruined in general, but if it was, it might be something to do with members whose sole purpose here seems to be to wind everybody else up. :P
But Eden is burning, either brace yourself for elimination
Or else your hearts must have the courage, of the changing of the guard

Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now

I'm a Restless Kinda Girl, There's No Turning Back Now!

Postby fairydandy » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:34 pm

Belle Leisha wrote:Not unless Q+PR somehow forced members to start being belligerently intolerantly rude to each other. I don't think it's ruined in general, but if it was, it might be something to do with members whose sole purpose here seems to be to wind everybody else up. :P

You have to have controversy on a message board. There is none on the QFC board and it's an empty, shallow place that really isn't worth reading. Ming was a poster on the first board. Ok, he went too far, he posted personal details, but he brought controvery and that was always good as a talking point. Then we had action and as much as people argued with him, he was the same, he added something to the place (even if he didn't believe what he himself was saying either).

Of course there were arguments, but there was always, always two sides to the story. To be told by people who weren't even around at the time when Queen were a unit that you had to shut up, that you weren't a fan, was always going to cause tempers to rise, it was always going to keep the arguments going. The whole point of the argument was about passion and love for the band, nothing else was driving it.

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby Belle Leisha » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:45 pm

The Q+PR argument did have two sides, yes there were people who refused to see why anyone would dislike the name, but equally there were people who tried to say if you were under forty you weren't allowed to have an opinion. There were people on both sides unwilling to accept other views, like there are in almost every single thread. Passion for the band drove people on both sides, it might still be what's driving people, but from the ninety four separate threads having the same discussion at the moment, it seems to be more about personal vendetta's and stirring up trouble. If something has ruined QOL, that's got a chance of being it. Personally, I love QOL, it has it's crap moments yes, but they haven't ruined anything.

Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby JLP » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:47 pm

The old place might just be getting a new lease of life. Today we have had 48 new registrations.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Postby JLP » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:50 pm

Belle Leisha wrote:The Q+PR argument did have two sides, yes there were people who refused to see why anyone would dislike the name, but equally there were people who tried to say if you were under forty you weren't allowed to have an opinion. There were people on both sides unwilling to accept other views, like there are in almost every single thread. Passion for the band drove people on both sides, it might still be what's driving people, but from the ninety four separate threads having the same discussion at the moment, it seems to be more about personal vendetta's and stirring up trouble. If something has ruined QOL, that's got a chance of being it. Personally, I love QOL, it has it's crap moments yes, but they haven't ruined anything.

The personal vendetta thing really bugs me Belle. I fail to see why people canot move on and why some people get involver, even when they were not members when the original shite all kicked off.

I know I have mentioned this before but when Elessar first joined QOL, for some reason we never got on and seemed to be at each other far more than we should have been. Now I see his as one of the more respected members of QOL and someone whom I enjoy debating with.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Postby JLP » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:39 pm

fifty registrations since lunchtime. :)
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Postby Belle Leisha » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:40 pm

JLP wrote:The personal vendetta thing really bugs me Belle. I fail to see why people canot move on and why some people get involver, even when they were not members when the original shite all kicked off.

I know I have mentioned this before but when Elessar first joined QOL, for some reason we never got on and seemed to be at each other far more than we should have been. Now I see his as one of the more respected members of QOL and someone whom I enjoy debating with.

Well yeah. I don't have any issue with anyone here, if something annoys me, even repeatedly, there's that really handy 'x' in the corner which helps immensely. :P

Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby fairydandy » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:50 pm

Why on earth was this topic moved? It's not feedback, it's not reporting a problem, it was just a discussion that belonged in the FC section.

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby Elessar » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:56 pm

JLP wrote:The personal vendetta thing really bugs me Belle. I fail to see why people canot move on and why some people get involver, even when they were not members when the original shite all kicked off.

'Elessar' the QOLer was pretty much a different person back then. I was young, optimistic, enthusiastic, naive...now I'm old, bitter, cynical and world-weary. It turns out I was right about Michael Jackson being innocent....but now he's dead. Kind of sums it up.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

PreviousNext

Return to Queenonline